Discussion topic: Lionsgate + Closing

This message was authored by Jason+Golding This message was authored by: Jason+Golding

Lionsgate + Closing

For Sky Glass/Stream customers  who subscribed to Lionsgate +.

Lionsgate + will be closing down in the Uk in January. 

Sky Stream x 2
LG C2 OLED 55inch
Sonos Playbar
Virgin 1 Gig
Virgin Stream Box
Xbox X
Apple TV 4K
Amazon 4K Firestick Roku 4K Google Chromecast

All Replies

This message was authored by Jam99 This message was authored by: Jam99

Lionsgate+ to close in 2024

So it looks like Lionsgate+ will close in 2024 in the UK.

I wonder what will happen to new episodes of Outlander?

This message was authored by Nigelb1972 This message was authored by: Nigelb1972

Re: Lionsgate+ to close in 2024

They'll probably sell the rights in the same way AMC has. 

This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1

Re: Lionsgate + Closing

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Jason+Golding  Do you have a source for this?   

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

This message was authored by Dazzasky This message was authored by: Dazzasky

@Dazzasky  I don't see any mention of Lionsgate coming off Glass at all, am I missing something?

It mentiones starz which is part of Lionsgate, but does not specifically mention Lionsgate or Glass, therefore the thread is very misleading and not glass specific.

Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

@GD1 wrote:

@Dazzasky  I don't see any mention Lionsgate coming off Glass at all, am I missin something?

It mentiones starz which is part of Lionsgate, but does not specifically mention Lionsgate or Glass, therefore the thread is very misleading and not glass specific.

Is Glass TV not part of the UK? Either way I'm not bothered, time will tell. @GD1 

@Dazzasky  The thread specifically posted in Glass and mentions coming off Glass which IS misleading and potentially scaremongering with Glass Only customers.

Sky Q customers also access Lionsgate.

@GD1 wrote:

@Dazzasky  The thread specifically posted in Glass and mentions coming off Glass which IS misleading and potentially scaremongering with Glass Only customers.

Sky Q customers also acerss Lionsgate, to post just in the Glass forum in this way is irresponsible.

I'm going to Hazzard a guess and say the reason @Jason+Golding posted in the Glass and Stream section is probably because they have one of those devices. @GD1 I certainly don't see why it's scaremongering 

This message was authored by StargazerUK1984 This message was authored by: StargazerUK1984

Starz from what I can tell run Lionsgate+. From what it mentions Starzs following the split from Lionsgate will also exit the UK market in 2024 and unless Lionsgate actually take over the platform from Starz I would assume it mean Lionsgate+ which was Starzplay rebranded I expecte might close. The whole starz exiting the UK is on multiple sites.

Now the cordbusters site is the only one that mentions Lionsgate+ and mentions early 2024. If cordbusters information is true It could potentially mean between January and I say April we might lose the app. To be honest this is a platform that's probably not making as much they keep running deals and you can cancel and rejoin at the deal price but content is HD and 5.1 and lacking 4k and the content is not always on for long periods. I will miss them though if its true.

Jason+Golding
Topic Author
This message was authored by Jason+Golding This message was authored by: Jason+Golding

@GD1 Disappointed that you are suggesting I am scare mongering. I mentioned glass and stream because that's the services that I have and posted it within this section for glass and stream customers who may not go in to the other forums - so it reaches as many glass and stream customers as possible. Lionsgate plus is leaving the Uk market. @StargazerUK1984  You are incorrect in stating that I received my information from cordbusters and that they are the only source of this information. https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2023/11/03/starz-to-lay-off-more-than-10percent-of-employees.html

Sky Stream x 2
LG C2 OLED 55inch
Sonos Playbar
Virgin 1 Gig
Virgin Stream Box
Xbox X
Apple TV 4K
Amazon 4K Firestick Roku 4K Google Chromecast
This message was authored by StargazerUK1984 This message was authored by: StargazerUK1984

@Jason+Golding wrote:

@GD1 Disappointed that you are suggesting I am scare mongering. I mentioned glass and stream because that's the services that I have and posted it within this section for glass and stream customers who may not go in to the other forums - so it reaches as many glass and stream customers as possible. Lionsgate plus is leaving the Uk market. @StargazerUK1984  You are incorrect in stating that I received my information from cordbusters and that they are the only source of this information. https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2023/11/03/starz-to-lay-off-more-than-10percent-of-employees.html

If you read the article cnbc it has no explicit mention of Lionsgate+ which is what I was pointing out. Only cordbusters explicitly mention it.

But yes Starz as I did point out as well run Lionsgate+ and Starz want to exit the UK market.

I will put my perspective into this. News of the Lionsgate split with Starz been doing the rounds since Late August / early September 2022 and at a similar time Starzplay outside the US only got rebranded Lionsgate+. The whole deal is expected to close at the end of 2023.

I got to wonder from the split if Lionsgate might take over the streaming operations or not as it was weird the rebrand came among the separation news but that's me drawing speculation based on what info I have seen and may completely be wrong.

It's hard to tell what will happen, we will have to wait and see. 

This message was authored by nolte This message was authored by: nolte

The opening paragraph of the Cordbuster

• In an unexpected turn that’s set to reshape the British streaming scene (again), Lionsgate+, the premium streaming service, is set to shut down its operations in the UK in early 2024.

I'm not sure it really is unexpected. I think much like viaplay, lionsgate+ never really gained the economies of scale needed to sustain the service as one on its own

I'm also not sure it will really considerably reshape. The market feels a bit saturated and customers are struggling so these niche services are tougher to justify.

Though I am interested to see when starz/lionsgate make official announcement on future.

---------
ROI sky Q Customer.
If you have questions about Sky, please post on the forums and do not send me private messages about them. I'm only a customer like you.
This message was authored by Timelord2018 This message was authored by: Timelord2018

@Nigelb1972 wrote:

They'll probably sell the rights in the same way AMC has. 

It's actually owned by Sony, Starzplay/Lionsgate+ just acquired it in the UK from season 6, they outbid Amazon 

https://variety.com/2021/streaming/global/outlander-amazon-sam-heughan-caitriona-balfe-starzplay-123...

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 5 hours

New Discussion