Discussion topic: I pressed to fond out the price of the box office event and it started it

This message was authored by Mike15115 This message was authored by: Mike15115

I pressed to fond out the price of the box office event and it started it

I am bring charged for a box office event and i dont want to watch it 

All Replies

This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome

Re: I pressed to fond out the price of the box office event and it started it

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Mike15115 

If you do not watch it, not even a few seconds then you should not be charged.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
If you need help please provide as much information as you can
This message was authored by Davy+Huck This message was authored by: Davy+Huck

I also made this mistake, now I'm stuck with a fight I don't want to watch at a cost of £30. How does Sky know I haven't watched the fight? 

This message was authored by nolte This message was authored by: nolte

One thing to do to prevent this happening in future is to change settings so that pin is needed to make purchases.

For the present predicament,  if a charge is on your bill, you'll have to contact Revenue and hope.

This is a customer to customer forum.

---------
ROI sky Q Customer

This message was authored by xenon81 This message was authored by: xenon81

@Davy+Huck wrote:

I also made this mistake, now I'm stuck with a fight I don't want to watch at a cost of £30. How does Sky know I haven't watched the fight? 

If you watch it your box sends a signal to Sky to indicate it has been watched. As long as you don't view the fight, even for a second, you won't be charged. 

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Davy+Huck wrote:

How does Sky know I haven't watched the fight? 

Any Sky device with an internet connection is capable of uploading extremely detailed viewing logs: that's been the case ever since digiboxes had a 'phone' (dial-up modem) connection.  We've all consented to this kind of data gathering by default in accepting the standard Sky Television contracts.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by Mr+Ripley This message was authored by: Mr+Ripley

@xenon81 wrote:

@Davy+Huck wrote:

If you watch it your box sends a signal to Sky to indicate it has been watched. As long as you don't view the fight, even for a second, you won't be charged. 

@xenon81  In response to your reply, maybe you could answer this. So a Sky box sends a signal to indicate that the event has been viewed & therefore the customer will be billed for it. That's a given. But if the box is clever enough to do that, why isn't it clever enough to realise that a customer has only viewed the event for a few seconds & so couldn't possibly have seen the whole event? If it could do that then surely the customer wouldn't be billed for something they never saw.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Extraordinary Attorney Woo is THE BEST foreign series on Netflix
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Mr+Ripley wrote:
 If it could do that then surely the customer wouldn't be billed for something they never saw.

That would involve an arbitrary cut-off point to be established though: perhaps the undercard was viewed but not the main bout.  Billing isn't retrospective: it's literally called 'ordering PPV'.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by Mr+Ripley This message was authored by: Mr+Ripley

@TimmyBGood wrote:

@Mr+Ripley wrote:
 If it could do that then surely the customer wouldn't be billed for something they never saw.

That would involve an arbitrary cut-off point to be established though: perhaps the undercard was viewed but not the main bout.  Billing isn't retrospective: it's literally called 'ordering PPV'.

@TimmyBGood  Re: Comment in bold above. I did have that exact thought whilst thinking about this yesterday, surely that's a good idea & should be implemented, perhaps a 5-minute cut-off point would be sufficient. It would definitely stop the issue that the OP had from happening.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Extraordinary Attorney Woo is THE BEST foreign series on Netflix
This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith

@Mr+Ripley wrote:

@TimmyBGood wrote:

@Mr+Ripley wrote:

@TimmyBGood  Re: Comment in bold above. I did have that exact thought whilst thinking about this yesterday, surely that's a good idea & should be implemented, perhaps a 5-minute cut-off point would be sufficient. It would definitely stop the issue that the OP had from happening.

I suppose a PPV could use a pay per minute type pricing, but that would likely just encourage people to only watch the main events and not watch/pay for the undercard fights.

These debates we are having is likely the main reason why PPV pricing is as it is, you order the PPV because you intend on watching all or some of it, how long you actually watch should be irrelevant.

I would think the "minutes watched" metric should just be something visible on your account so that if you claim to accidentally order a PPV Sky can see how many minutes were watched and accept/reject the refund request. I would think if it's accidental you wouldn't watch more than a minute of a PPV.

Sky Stream user. Former Sky+ HD and Sky Broadband customer
Please LIKE any responses you found helpful
Please mark a response as an ANSWER if it has solved your query/issue

NOT a Sky Employee

This message was authored by nolte This message was authored by: nolte

5 minute cut off? A boxing match could be finished in that time 😉 

---------
ROI sky Q Customer

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 5 hours

New Discussion