Discussion topic: HD charges

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

This message was authored by Skull+Treaty This message was authored by: Skull+Treaty

Re: HD charges

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Doc5907 wrote:

Can I also just remind everyone that today is the Day of Finnish Culture (Kalevalan päivä) - in Finland only.

I'm sure Michael Palin will be doing something...

Finland Finland Finland 

Love that song, blast from the past 😂

"Sometimes, the only choices you have are bad ones, but you still have to choose"
This message was authored by Skyuser1981 This message was authored by: Skyuser1981

480p is obsolete Sky should at least have 720p as an absolute base resolution yes Netflix cheapest package is only 720p but that still means its HD its not standard definition (480p) I kinda undetstand why Sky would still charge for 4K (UHD) but they should treat UHD like they did when they first introduced Sky HD and have 720p as the new standard definition 

This message was authored by Skyuser1981 This message was authored by: Skyuser1981

Sky also used to charge just to use Sky+ recording, it was ten pounds a month. charging for normal HD should just come to an end. so the standard for channels should be 720p at least. charging for UHD still is a different matter entirely, Sky have more justification still charging for that. 

This message was authored by rscott This message was authored by: rscott

@Skyuser1981 wrote:

Sky also used to charge just to use Sky+ recording, it was ten pounds a month. charging for normal HD should just come to an end. so the standard for channels should be 720p at least. charging for UHD still is a different matter entirely, Sky have more justification still charging for that. 

You still haven't explained the economics of the change - if they scrap the HD charge, their revenue falls, but if the roll it into the base package, the price goes up for most people.

Neither of those are good options at the moment, so how do you propose they deal with it?

This message was authored by debbiesharron This message was authored by: debbiesharron

How about Try Seeing It From The Customers  Point Of View 

I like Nat geo wild and slow motion forward and rewind options
This message was authored by nolte This message was authored by: nolte

From the point of view of customers who don't want to pay for hd or have their bill increased due to hd:

they may not appreciate an increase in their bill for a service they opted not to get

---------
ROI sky Q Customer.
If you have questions about Sky, please post on the forums and do not send me private messages about them. I'm only a customer like you.
This message was authored by Chodley This message was authored by: Chodley

@debbiesharron everything I listed includes the customer's point of view. But it also includes the supplier's point of view. Economics and business is all about optimising for both. One can't exist in isolation.

@Skyuser1981 wrote:

480p is obsolete Sky should at least have 720p as an absolute base resolution yes Netflix cheapest package is only 720p but that still means its HD its not standard definition (480p) I kinda undetstand why Sky would still charge for 4K (UHD) but they should treat UHD like they did when they first introduced Sky HD and have 720p as the new standard definition 

This is total pedantry but UK TV has never used 480p. SD is 576i.

Be that as it may my point still stands. 

Well yeah but see also all the counter points that have already been raised (repeatedly) which basically comes down to - they won't do a circa £1Bn a year drop in revenue out of goodwill so prices will rise for everyone to compensate.

plus 720p means upscaling all SD and downscaling all HD so not sure it's a useful compromise.

Standard definition content simply doesn't exist anymore. there's no tv on sale that has a standard def display Sky stopped charging for Sky+ and everyones bills didn't suddenly shoot up therefore they should do the same with regular HD. I'm not including 4K in this just 720p. HD is not a premuim product anymore its the default and should be treated as such

So give people a 720p downscale on the box for free but you can pay for 1080i or 4k? Interesting idea.

(There is still SD stuff being broadcast)

Obviously legacy SD content is still broadcast but that can be put on the HD channels, so old simpsons episodes would broadcast right alongside their HD counterparts on the same channel, I've got some HD channels and old SD content like 1990s top of the pops is on the same channel as brand new HD content. 

This message was authored by oj01 This message was authored by: oj01

@Skyuser1981 wrote:

Standard definition content simply doesn't exist anymore. there's no tv on sale that has a standard def display Sky stopped charging for Sky+ and everyones bills didn't suddenly shoot up therefore they should do the same with regular HD. I'm not including 4K in this just 720p. HD is not a premuim product anymore its the default and should be treated as such

I'm pretty sure that bills didn't fall either, which is what you're asking to happen with the HD charge. 

Sky Community Forum SuperUser
Former Sky+HD Beta Tester
Sky Signature, Sky Sports, Sky HD, Sky Mobile
Member Of The Community Since 2011
Staying on Sky+HD
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Skyuser1981 wrote:

Standard definition content simply doesn't exist anymore. there's no tv on sale that has a standard def display

There's huge amounts of SD content being distributed: UK Gold in its various incarnations would be empty without it, for example.  The only difference is whether the broadcaster is upscaling prior to transmission or if that's being done locally by the receiver or the television.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 5 hours

New Discussion