Discussion topic: HD charges

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

This message was authored by oj01 This message was authored by: oj01

Re: HD charges

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@prgks wrote:

Now - it appears that for most Sky channels there don't seem to be separate HD versions - and I can view them despite not paying for HD.

Pretty sure all Sky channels have both an SD and a HD version (apart from the Cinema channels). 

Equally sure that you need the HD Add On to view the channels in HD. 

Sky Community Forum SuperUser
Former Sky+HD Beta Tester
Sky Signature, Sky Sports, Sky HD, Sky Mobile
Member Of The Community Since 2011
Staying on Sky+HD
This message was authored by debbiesharron This message was authored by: debbiesharron

@prgks

Do you mean like Now TV or as in you can watch all HD channels for free and No Substitute SD channels are Showing, 

I can't check on mine as waiting for an engineer 

I like Nat geo wild and slow motion forward and rewind options
This message was authored by Laing1 This message was authored by: Laing1

@oj01 wrote:

@prgks wrote:

Now - it appears that for most Sky channels there don't seem to be separate HD versions - and I can view them despite not paying for HD.

Pretty sure all Sky channels have both an SD and a HD version (apart from the Cinema channels). 

Equally sure that you need the HD Add On to view the channels in HD. 

@oj01 agree completely with you that there should be SD equivalent of the Sky HD channels and even a few of the cinema channels are in SD 😀

@prgks check the channels the 800's 

I may be a Sky Superuser but I am still just a Sky customer

Sky Q 2 TB (Silver)Box, 2 Mini boxes since June 2016, all connected by wifi
Sky Broadband Hub/SR203, Sky Ultrafast broadband
Ultimate on Demand, Q Experience/UHD, Sky Sports, Sky Cinema
LG 49SJ 810 V UHD TV, Google Pixel 7 Pro mobile
This message was authored by Skyuser1981 This message was authored by: Skyuser1981

Sky should've stopped charging for 1080p years ago! It blows my mind they still charge a premium for it. I mean how many people still have a CRT SD television these days?

This message was authored by Skyuser1981 This message was authored by: Skyuser1981

There's no such thing as standard definition televisions on sale today. I bought my tv 15 years ago and even then there were no cathode ray tv's on sale 

This message was authored by Laing1 This message was authored by: Laing1

@Skyuser1981 wrote:

Sky should've stopped charging for 1080p years ago! It blows my mind they still charge a premium for it. I mean how many people still have a CRT SD television these days?

@Skyuser1981 if Sky do away with HD charges  then the base package price will increase for everyone 

I may be a Sky Superuser but I am still just a Sky customer

Sky Q 2 TB (Silver)Box, 2 Mini boxes since June 2016, all connected by wifi
Sky Broadband Hub/SR203, Sky Ultrafast broadband
Ultimate on Demand, Q Experience/UHD, Sky Sports, Sky Cinema
LG 49SJ 810 V UHD TV, Google Pixel 7 Pro mobile

If sky had been around in the 70s they'd probably still be charging extra for colour. 

It's not a good look. Will they still be charging extra for HD 30 years from now? 

This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

@Skyuser1981 

maybe we should point out that SKY are not the only ones to charge extra for HD - even Basic Netflix is in SD

I know it is not pay TV but the vast majority of Freeview channels are only in SD 

You mention end of CRTs but whilst newer LCD TVs are not SD there are still a lot of smaller panels that are only 'HD ready' (720p not 1080)

As others have mentioned if the HD charge was scrapped it would just be incorporated into the base charge with a likely increase for some who really don't care about HD

Whilst I  look out for HD & UHD and still buy lots of discs & will always look to get Blu-Ray or 4K but most of my family would be more than happy to settle for DVDs & some family members honestly notice little difference - they just aren't into TV & Films like I am  - I mention this just to point out there are lots of viewpoints & don't all see it quite the same way.

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

@nigea99 wrote:

@Skyuser1981 

As others have mentioned if the HD charge was scrapped it would just be incorporated into the base charge with a likely increase for some who really don't care about HD

Exactly. That's not compatible with the complainers' narrative, though 😁

This message was authored by debbiesharron This message was authored by: debbiesharron

Skyuser81, In pretty sure they Will try and if not they surely will find another way to get the money back.

My sis got sick of paying £140 per Month and cancelled to the point the guy asked ger to stay with them for £3  per Month for 6 Months !!!

I like Nat geo wild and slow motion forward and rewind options

Sky is always hiking their prices. They should just give us the HD channels at no extra cost. Even the absolute cheapest Netflix skew is in HD. (Not 4K but still HD) it's the standard now. I mean it's not like you pay extra for colour tv anymore 

I looked into the cheapest option for Netflix recently the one with adverts and even that is still HD. It's not standard definition. By standard def I mean below 720p 

This message was authored by Annie+UK This message was authored by: Annie+UK

@Skyuser1981 wrote:

Sky is always hiking their prices. They should just give us the HD channels at no extra cost. Even the absolute cheapest Netflix skew is in HD. (Not 4K but still HD) it's the standard now. I mean it's not like you pay extra for colour tv anymore 

Yes you do, a B&W TV Liecence is £53.50 where a colour one is £159

Annie  ( Please Note: I am Neurodivergent )

I would settle for 720p sky should at least have that as an absolute lower limit 

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 5 hours

New Discussion