Discussion topic: Full RTE TV Player in Ireland

This message was authored by Anonymous This message was authored by: Anonymous

Re: Full RTE TV Player in Ireland

@ftakeith1 wrote:

No

If sky paid rte, to do an deal for extra money. It could happen.

That is why I am an sky store only customer, now tv customer and i have eir tv.

I get the full rte tv player with the apple 4k tv devices with eir tv, now tv and more

But eirTV is esstianially dead. It's not being advertised any more. It's just a matter of time before it closes completely.

This message was authored by Paul+Boland This message was authored by: Paul+Boland

@Anonymous 

Eir TV is still available and is still  been advertised 

Apple TV 4K Box can be purchased without the need to subscribe to Eir 

Eir TV is just a app you can download to various devices and to access you subscribe to Eir TV.

RTÉ Player is a app that's available on all Smart TV's with region set to Ireland 

RTÉ Player App is available with multiple streaming devices Apple TV 4K/Chromecast with Google TV/Firestick and and Android and Apple Phones 

RTÉ Player App  is available on Sky Glass since August 2022 and just recently with Sky Q its a modified version for Sky Platform 

It's very similar to the app version you get on other devices just has some slight differences most would not notice.

‐-----‐----------------‐-------------------------------------
Sky Glass 65 inch and 2 Sky Stream Pucks
Gigabit Siro 100% Fiber Broadband with Digiweb
1000 Mbps download and 200 Mbps upload speed
I only use wired ethernet with Sky Glass and Sky Stream Pucks
This message was authored by nolte This message was authored by: nolte

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Based on an article in may from rte, in the first quarter results subscribers rose 9% to 87,000 for eir tv.

---------
ROI sky Q Customer
This message was authored by Anonymous This message was authored by: Anonymous

@ftakeith1 wrote:

The full version of the bbc i player is available with sky tv uk.

The full version of the RTE TV Player is not available with sky tv ireland.

This would only cost sky ireland about few million euros extra per year to RTE in the republic of irelsnd and it would counter rampant tv piracy in ireland and cut the churn of sky tv subscribers in ireland

The RTÉ Player is now also an app on Sky Q. There seems to be a full library there. RTÉ may be phasing out the Catch-Up version. 

20230701_162958.jpg20230701_163059.jpg

This message was authored by Joseph95 This message was authored by: Joseph95

I just spotted they've added the full RTÉ Player app to Sky Ireland. It's about time as it was needed! No more downloading and filling up space on your Q Box. Just stream everything from the app instead. Handy. Wish they'd make the BBC iPlayer app available to Ireland. We share the same shows **bleep**.

ftakeith1
Topic Author
This message was authored by ftakeith1 This message was authored by: ftakeith1

BBC ON DEMAND should have all bbc tv programmes available for sky tv ireland customers between 3 months to 6 months.

If you record bbc tv programmes and UKTV programmes with eir tv, you have 6 months to watch it 

This message was authored by ClumsyMumsy This message was authored by: ClumsyMumsy

Hi all, I got a new Sky Q box yesterday as the last one was acting up and it doesn't have RTE Player on it like the last one did for the past month.  Is it possible to download apps to the box or do I just have to wait for it to be updated does anyone know?

This message was authored by Joseph95 This message was authored by: Joseph95

I had that same problem on one of my boxes (it wasn't a new box). Two of my boxes updated with the RTÉ Player but this other one in the sitting room took the longest. I tried everything, I even refreshed all my apps/reset the box etc but nothing worked! Then one day it just appeared on there so all was good. It took roughly about a week I'd say. Maybe Sky hasn't gotten round to updating all the boxes yet. It's probably a phased basis or something. I would say wait it out and see what happens.

This message was authored by PatO27 This message was authored by: PatO27

My question was in respect of RTE Radio, not TV. With my previous service provider I listened to radio on the tv.  Why can't I do that with sky.

This message was authored by nolte This message was authored by: nolte

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@PatO27 wrote:

My question was in respect of RTE Radio, not TV. With my previous service provider I listened to radio on the tv.  Why can't I do that with sky.

What sky service have you? Ie sky q, sky glass, sky stream?

---------
ROI sky Q Customer

I believe it is Sky Glass. 

I see now it is Sky Stream. 

This message was authored by ZyloKai This message was authored by: ZyloKai

@ftakeith1 wrote:

No

If sky paid rte, to do an deal for extra money. It could happen.

That is why I am an sky store only customer, now tv customer and i have eir tv.

I get the full rte tv player with the apple 4k tv devices with eir tv, now tv and more

RTÉ, TG4,  BBC, ITV, Channel 4 and Channel 5 do not pay Sky to bradcast their channels. 
Seriously doubt RTÉ, TG4, BBC, ITV, Channel 4 and Channel 5 pay for their catch-up and on-demand, or apps/players on Sky.

RTÉ/TG4 reference: https://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/sky-threatens-to-drop-rte-if-channels-are-no...
BBC (etc.) reference: https://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/feb/28/bbc-bskyb-agree-retransmission-deal

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 5 hours

New Discussion