Discussion topic: Changes to the Sky TV guide - October 2023

This message was authored by Laggamer20xx This message was authored by: Laggamer20xx

NO!!!!!!!!

Please don't turn Pick into Sky Mix! Close it and allow Sky Showcase to hit freeview!

This message was authored by Annie+UK This message was authored by: Annie+UK

Re: NO!!!!!!!!

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more
This message was authored by Jason+Golding This message was authored by: Jason+Golding

@Laggamer20xx @Why would sky broadcast sky showcase for free ? It's a pay channel with NEW shows ?

Sky Stream x 2
LG C2 OLED 55inch
Sonos Playbar
Virgin 1 Gig
Virgin Stream Box
Xbox X
Apple TV 4K
Amazon 4K Firestick
This message was authored by Doc5907 This message was authored by: Doc5907

@Laggamer20xx wrote:

Please don't turn Pick into Sky Mix! Close it and allow Sky Showcase to hit freeview!

Yes and while they're at it, add Sky sports PL, F1 and Cricket to Freeview !

(then I could cancel sky TV 😁)

....................................................................................................................
Sky Q 1TB UHD
LG TV
Sky Mobile
BT Broadband
This message was authored by Anonymous This message was authored by: Anonymous

Re: Changes to the Sky TV guide - October 2023

@GD1 wrote:
RTÉ axes Aertel teletext service

RTÉ has this week confirmed it will be closing down its Aertel teletext service, with just over a week’s notice. The service was broadcast alongside the RTÉ TV signal since the mid-80s as Ireland’s answer to the BBC’s Ceefax service. Launching just over a decade after Ceefax, the service also closes just over a decade after Ceefax’s closure in 2012, with both services missing out on reaching their 40th anniversary.

Aertel offered up-to-date news, sport and TV schedules, but will now close on Thursday 12th October 2023.

Many smart TVs, notably those designed for pan-European use, do support WST used on the Sky version of the service

https://rxtvinfo.com/2023/rte-axes-aertel-teletext-service/

But Aertel has not been available on Sky for a very long time, and has never been available on Sky Q, Sky Glass or Sky Stream. I think it's currently only available online and via Saorview. It's a dead service.

This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1

@Anonymous 

Receiver support

Many smart TVs, notably those designed for pan-European use, do support WST used on the Sky version of the service, although some stretch the text to fit the widescreen panel. WST was designed for older 4:3 screens. With regards the newer version of Aertel introduced at switchover, not all newer devices automatically support MHEG. On some devices, MHEG is only active if the Republic of Ireland is selected from the country list. If this was done by a viewer in Northern Ireland, this could affect both the channel list and the list of on-demand services.

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

This message was authored by Anonymous This message was authored by: Anonymous

@GD1 wrote:

@Anonymous 

Receiver support

Many smart TVs, notably those designed for pan-European use, do support WST used on the Sky version of the service, although some stretch the text to fit the widescreen panel. WST was designed for older 4:3 screens. With regards the newer version of Aertel introduced at switchover, not all newer devices automatically support MHEG. On some devices, MHEG is only active if the Republic of Ireland is selected from the country list. If this was done by a viewer in Northern Ireland, this could affect both the channel list and the list of on-demand services.

Sorry, I wasn't clear, I meant via the red button or the text button (on Sky mode on Sky+HD) devices. I understand that some TVs support it, but as a service like the BBC Red Button, it's not been supported.  

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Doc5907 wrote:

@Laggamer20xx wrote:

Yes and while they're at it, add Sky sports PL, F1 and Cricket to Freeview !

At £1,193,000,000 for PL and £200,000,000 for F1 (plus a shiny silver sixpence for cricket*) they might have to up the advertising frequency just a bit ; )

Maybe they should stop buying Sports rights at all and go back to paying participants in packets of Woodbines and pints of bitter...

*actually cricket is about the same cost as F1 for ECB rights alone.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by Christopher+Jamie This message was authored by: Christopher+Jamie

There's also Pick closing  12/10

@Christopher+Jamie wrote:

there's also Pick closing on 08/10

It's not closing it's rebranding.

Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

This message was authored by nolte This message was authored by: nolte

@Christopher+Jamie wrote:

There's also Pick closing  12/10

As per link on previous page, it is changing on 18th October and replaced by Sky Mix.

This first post in this  thread is updated periodically so the next update could include it.

---------
ROI sky Q Customer

ITV is to begin closing further standard definition (SD) channels on satellite as it upgrades the remainder of its regional network to HD.

• Border Scotland and Channel Television will become available in HD on satellite in November.
  • Sky+HD, Sky Q and Freesat HD viewers will be automatically moved to the HD service.
  • From January, four ITV regions will cease to be available in standard definition on satellite.

Full info here

This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

Re: BBC And ITV Go HD Only

@JW22 

I've merged your post into this thread where it's already been mentioned. 

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: BBC And ITV Go HD Only

@JW22 wrote:

The BBC and ITV are going HD only

from next Month

January 2024 is the point where SD services switch off: all of the BBC channels, and some of the ITV regions.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 5 hours

New Discussion