Discussion topic: Transferring a land line number.

This message was authored by Unhappyboy1 This message was authored by: Unhappyboy1

Transferring a land line number.

I am with Now Tv I have tried to transfer my package to mty new address, however I have been told they cannot transfer my number. I then tried Vodafone, same answer I am being the number is owned by Sky and they cannot transfer it. Tried Moving to Sky same answer they said I had to take a new number out.

What is going on?

All Replies

This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1

Re: Transferring a land line number.

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Unhappyboy1  Your post has been moved from the Sky Stream forum as this isn;t a stream related issue.

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

@Unhappyboy1 wrote:

I am with Now Tv I have tried to transfer my package to mty new address, however I have been told they cannot transfer my number.

You mean Now have told you? I believe there's a particular difficulty with porting phone numbers from Now. 

Unhappyboy1
Topic Author
This message was authored by Unhappyboy1 This message was authored by: Unhappyboy1

For some reason not all of my post was saved.

I am with Now Tv and tried to move my account to an address a mile away. However they have said the number could not be transferred. I then tried Vodaphone who said the number could not be ported as it was owned by Sky. I then tried to move to Sky, they also said the number could not be transferred.

I am struggling as I thought any number could be transferred.

This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1

@Unhappyboy1  Thats not unusual as when you move to a different address it's normally unusual to actually keep your old number.

Number portability is from one provider to another, not one address to another.

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Unhappyboy1 

Is the new address in a different dialing code (exchange) area?

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by RBower This message was authored by: RBower

I have recently had a similar problem with NOW / SKY, I was allocated a 01909 area code number but I am actually in the 01302 area code, all my neighbours are 01302.....

I have been told by Sky that with FTTP this can happen as theoretically I am closer to Woksop (01909) than Doncaster (01302) 

As more an more people move to FTTP the boundries of area codes are no longer there and just depends on Openreach which area code you get allocated

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@RBower wrote:

As more an more people move to FTTP the boundries of area codes are no longer there and just depends on Openreach which area code you get allocated

Well, yes: FTTP topology isn't intrinsically linked to physical telephone exchange buildings like the historic copper cable distribution was, so 'area code' doesn't really apply.  That's a bit of an issue where, for example, it's still associated with house prices...

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by RBower This message was authored by: RBower

Agree! Can't say I am happy with it as it looks like I am miles south with the number. But also don't want the hassle of moving provider 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 80 minutes

New Discussion