Discussion topic: Help Telephone specific issue

JimM1
Topic Author
This message was authored by JimM1 This message was authored by: JimM1

Re: Help Telephone specific issue

@mae-3 

Thanks for the reply, would i also be better to try and get on FTTC instead of the ADSL or does that not matter, with HD VOIP solution.

This message was authored by mae-3 This message was authored by: mae-3

@JimM1 

For VoIP HD Calling which Sky VoIP solution doesn't support, seek an alternative VoIP provider and ADSL2+ is fine for HD Calling if that is all you are interested in on the line concerned and light internet use.

But generally speaking, it is best to upgrade to an FTTC service if available it is usually cheaper and far more future-proof.

-------

Zen internet on G.fast (250Mbps down, 50Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.
JimM1
Topic Author

@mae-3 

The issue was the 1.1mb/s up speed that the ADSL gives, he said 1.3mb/s would be required min so the

ADSL does not cut it, and i agree future proof etc all good.

Not so much concerned with cost, allready got Talk and paying the £12 for unlimited call package, so he basically has the fixed cost, and no surprise on billing.

Thanks for your advise, will look to see what i can do now.

Jim

JimM1
Topic Author

@mae-3 @Daniel0210 

Have spoke to sky. It appears that i have to cancel the contract, pay the penelty fee, redo another contract at a higher price? The cancellation will be both the Broadband and TV and new will be 

Broadband only would this be correct, i just do not understand seems so strange.

And the offer is only to Superfast as i know that is all he can get.

Seemingly it's not the best offer, but that is as good as it get's.

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

It doesn't sound right to me. It's unusual to be penalised for upgrading and I don't see why your TV contract comes into the equation.  Maybe others will have a different view.

@JimM1 

The broadband and TV packages will be different contracts, and I agree with @Mark39 that doesn't sound right at all talk to another agent in Sky who knows what they are talking about. 😎

-------

Zen internet on G.fast (250Mbps down, 50Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.
JimM1
Topic Author

@Mark39 @mae-3 

I agree, but the advisor was addemant that there was no option, currently trying to find out

if VM do HD VOIP calling and will go back and pay the cancellation charge.

As i say really do not want to waste the time waiting to find more problems and it could

be just the bad line, as was not used on BT for 25yrs as he was on VM.

But thanks for all your help, and i honestly do not care and will pay the exit fee and exit the contract.

Jim

@JimM1 

VM don't do VoIP HD Calling either...

-------

JimM1
Topic Author

@mae-3 

You answered my question was just searching but boy do they make it hard....

@JimM1 

You can always add HD Calling VoIP with a third party. The cost of an ATA box is about £30 and a subscription from £6 per month for a hundred minutes free, higher unlimited call packages are available from these third parties.

-------

JimM1
Topic Author

@mae-3 @Mark39 

Thanks for the help can anyone answer following.

1. Need to keep landline number as he has had it for 60yrs, and does VOIP HD required for both ends

off the connection, not sure of this.

2. Will need to cancel sky no issue with that, looking to go with Vodafone FTTC, dont really want to go back to VM.

Number is the big issue, and would some one like vonage be good, trying to establish if VOIP HD is with them.

@JimM1 

Vonage supports VoIP HD Calling and both ends need to support HD Calling over VoIP. As for keeping the phone number then as per Ofcom, the telephone number should be portable to other providers.

-------

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@JimM1 wrote:

Number is the big issue, and would some one like vonage be good, trying to establish if VOIP HD is with them.

I would suggest great caution. Check with both Sky and your intended new supplier. There are numerous examples here of number porting failures.

@JimM1 

Vodafone also support Digital Voice which is VoIP with HD Calling.

-------

JimM1
Topic Author

@Mark39 @mae-3 

Thanks both, i will check with vonage tomorrow with a voice call, if / how it works, was trying to avoid

no landline phone but that may not be possible, know this, problem with dad and mobile tech....

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 80 minutes

New Discussion