Discussion topic: Does 3rd party Fritzbox Router work with Sky Talk on Sky Fibre?

This message was authored by Herb134 This message was authored by: Herb134

Does 3rd party Fritzbox Router work with Sky Talk on Sky Fibre?

Hello all,

I have Sky broadband Ultra Fast Plus and Sky Talk as well as Sky Q.  After a lot of reliability and performance issues with Sky Router which needed constantly rebooting to keep broadband working and it was dropping Talk service on a regular basis so home tel became unreliable.  Despite replacement Sky router and BT Open reach coming out issues continued.  As I work from home I needed reliable broadband so ended up switching to high performance ASUS 3rd party router.  This completely resolved broadband reliability and performance and massively increased performance of wifi as Wifi 6 compatible router on Sky broadband .  But it didn't support plugging in phone to continue with Sky Talk tel service for home phone line.  After unreliability of Mobile phone coverage in my area I'd like to retain high performance broadband & wifi but put back in place my Sky Talk home phone service.  Its been suggested to me a Fritzbox Router would be the best route for this.  Has anyone got a Fritzbox Router on their Sky Fibre broadband and has their Sky Talk service running on it? If so which model of router have you got?  Fritzbox also suugest I'd need to get in touch with Sky to get my username and password that I would need to input into the router to enable the VOIP functionality with Sky Talk, is this correct?  Any feedback the community can provide would be appreciated.  Many thanks in advance for your help.  

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: Does 3rd party Fritzbox Router work with Sky Talk on Sky Fibre?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Herb134 wrote:

Fritzbox also suugest I'd need to get in touch with Sky to get my username and password that I would need to input into the router to enable the VOIP functionality with Sky Talk, is this correct? 

There's no known configuration which permits a non-Sky router to access Sky Talk Internet Calls: we assume this functionality is baked into the ATA firmware on the Sky Broadband Hub / Max Hub but otherwise undocumented and unobtainable, and Sky support will not provide any useful information in this respect.

I'd note the same is true of the equivalent 'Digital Voice' service on BT Broadband.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
Herb134
Topic Author
This message was authored by Herb134 This message was authored by: Herb134

Re: Does 3rd party Fritzbox Router work with Sky Talk on Sky Fibre?

TimmyBGood,  Thank you very much for your feedback.  I suspected that might well be the case which is why I thought I'd ask the Community first before purchasing a FritzBox Router.  Its really disappointing as in my experience the supplied Sky Routers that work with Fibre Broadband don't really seem very reliable and Fibre Broadband is  a great improvement, but its a shame that switching Sky Talk to fibre seems so problematic as well, probably due to Sky Router hardware reliability issues.  Seems I'll be best sticking with my ASUS router after all for the time being and consider whether I'll continue as a Sky broadband & talk customer in the future after 20 years as a customer.  

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 80 minutes

New Discussion