Discussion topic: Do I need a VOIP phone?

This message was authored by WhizKids This message was authored by: WhizKids

Do I need a VOIP phone?

We switched from BT to Sky on 10th of September and the landline has never  worked, nearly 3 weeks now.

Been chatting with online chat that got no where from here, having to spoke to a person today they told me I need a VOIP phone and surprised no one has mentioned this yet. He suggested I go to Amazon and buy one but I'm not convinced it'll even fit in the back of the Max hub.

The Max hub (white box single white light) is plugged into the "BT Openrach" labelled box on the wall as a normal phone shocket (not fibre ONT) our DECT compatible phone is plugged into the 'UK' port on the back of  the Hub. I think VOIP phones use an RJ11 port so it wouldn't fit in the back of the hub unless I used the "Italia/RIO" port. If I use this will it work?

All Replies

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

Re: Do I need a VOIP phone?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Absolute rubbish. What you were told is completely wrong. A VOIP phone definitely won't work.

WhizKids
Topic Author

How do I get Sky support to initiate the chat session via the forum?

Please see the reply to your other thread. What did Sky say in the initial private chat you had with them?

WhizKids
Topic Author

Nothing of any use, they led me up the garden path and said it was 'With the network team'. When I asked what was with them I got no further. I then chased daily as it was gettign silly waiting 3 weeks to have a phone working.

They offered me a credit on the account for my trouble so far and I asked if this waived my rights to the full and proper 'automated' compensation of which they said no. so I accepted. They took this oppurtunity to close off the open chat session with them but I'm no further to having a working phone.

I rang the Sky phone number today and had a daft converstion whereby I was told I needed a VOIP phone to make it work and then confirmed on here that's a bunch of rubbish and won't work anyway.

There's 1 post on here about they was told there is an underlying problem with Max hubs that needs a firmware update (to be developed yet) and I want to pursue if that applies to me and when it'll be out.

3 weeks to have a working phone is silly...

If I can't get a sensible explanation of what our problem is in the next few days we're cancelling the whole thing and going back to BT.

Did you try the factory reset I suggested in reply to your other post?

The Network team are exactly the right people to be managing this for you.  Sky won't be able to give you a date for any software update being developed, I'm afraid.

WhizKids
Topic Author

A factory reset was carried out a couple of days ago after we lost all wifi, wasn't broadcasting the SSID.

At the moment I don't care who it is but Sky are providing the service so 'Sky' should be able to answer what is going on...

With various people from Sky saying I dunno it'll be sorted when it's sorted, another person saying you need a VOIP phone, someone on here saying there's a problem with the hub in general I want a definitive answer not being consistently fobbed off by Sky with different messages.

It makes them externally look like incompetent fools who internally can't work out who or what is at fault.

This message was authored by Laing1 This message was authored by: Laing1

@WhizKids can you post a picture of how your router is connected to your bt phone socket 

I may be a Sky Superuser but I am still just a Sky customer

Sky Q 2 TB (Silver)Box, 2 Mini boxes since June 2016, all connected by wifi
Sky Broadband Hub/SR203, Sky Ultrafast broadband
Ultimate on Demand, Q Experience/UHD, Sky Sports, Sky Cinema
LG 49SJ 810 V UHD TV, Google Pixel 7 Pro mobile

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 80 minutes

New Discussion