Discussion topic: Using Sky HD box without Sky subscription

This message was authored by No2ID This message was authored by: No2ID

Using Sky HD box without Sky subscription

Because of the cost of living crisis I am seriously considering ended my Sky subscription in a couple of weeks as my fixed price deal will be coming to an end.  I have a Sky HD box NOT Sky Q

If I go ahead and end my subscription, my understanding is that I may still watch various free-to-air channels (BBC, ITV, Film4 etc).  Do I need to purchase a one-off card from Sky to do this or will it just work without my doing anything.  I notice that Sky sells a one-off payment Sky service (presuimably for the free to air channels) but don't know if this functionally identitical to just running the box without a subscription

I really don;t want to have to buy a FreeSat box (yeah, yeah, I nknow that is a brand itself) if I can avoud doing so.

Many thanks

Best Answers
This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome Answer

Re: Using Sky HD box without Sky subscription

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Your current viewing card will work fine and will allow you to view all the free to view and free to air channels. As you might already know you will be unable to record, pause and rewind any of these channels.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
If you need help please provide as much information as you can

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome Answer

Your current viewing card will work fine and will allow you to view all the free to view and free to air channels. As you might already know you will be unable to record, pause and rewind any of these channels.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
No2ID
Topic Author

Thanks @caesarome 

This message was authored by Lara12345678 This message was authored by: Lara12345678

Hi

Did you get this to work? My ShyHD box doesn't have any access to freeview programs. 
Mir says there is no signal. On input 1 no signal and input 2 string signal. I change the cables around and it's the same. So I think somehow sky are turning off the signal. 

is there anyway of overriding this? Or still using the satellite dish signal but with a different type of box?

thanks very much. 

No2ID
Topic Author

@Lara12345678sorry I can't help.  In the end I was able to get an excellent deal out of Sky and cheaper than what I was paying in my previous 18 month contract but with the same services.  Therefore I never needed to try my Sky box without a subscription

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

@Lara12345678 wrote:

So I think somehow sky are turning off the signal.  

That's not the case. There's no way Sky can turn off the signal to your box. There's a fault either with your Sky box or your dish setup.

This message was authored by Lara12345678 This message was authored by: Lara12345678

Hi

Thanks for your reply. No21d

Hi Mark 

thanks for your message. 
I mustvhave a signal, as the input 2 is a full signal. And I get a complete and upto date guide. 
it's just somehow I don't have a signal to view.   I will get the dish checked. 

No2ID
Topic Author

@Lara12345678   Can you see no channels at all?  Do you have the old Sky card inserted or not?  If not, try putting it in; if you do, try taking it out.  I don't know if that is the issue.  but it is what I would try if I were in your position

This message was authored by Annie+UK This message was authored by: Annie+UK

@Lara12345678 wrote:

Hi Mark 

thanks for your message. 
I mustvhave a signal, as the input 2 is a full signal. And I get a complete and upto date guide. 
it's just somehow I don't have a signal to view.   I will get the dish checked. 

Do you have a Sky Plus dish or a Sky Q dish as a default Sky Q dish is incompatable with Sky Plus?

Annie  ( Please Note: I am Neurodivergent )
This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

@Lara12345678 perhaps we should recap! Has your dish/box been unused for a while? What error message do you see when you tune to channel 103?

The fact that the good signal remains on dish input 2 even after you've switched the dish cables round suggests there's a signal on both cables and your box might be faulty.

Meanwhile try setting your box to Single Feed Mode. The setting is in the Installer Menu - shout if you don't know how to get to it.

Hi 

thanks for all the replies. 
so I tried with the card in and out. 

Itsca Skyhd box. I get message your sky+he box isn't getting a satellite signal. 

I've tried two different skyboxes. 

I looked for the installers menu I couldn't find it.  Couid you tell me how to get there?

I also went to 103 and I get a pixelated picture every 5 minutes or so. 

Thanks everyone for the different ideas. 

This message was authored by Annie+UK This message was authored by: Annie+UK

@Lara12345678 wrote:

I looked for the installers menu I couldn't find it.  Couid you tell me how to get there?

I also went to 103 and I get a pixelated picture every 5 minutes or so. 

Thanks everyone for the different ideas. 

Take a look at Q03 of my Sky Plus FAQ 🙂

Annie  ( Please Note: I am Neurodivergent )
This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome

Depending on what box you have it is usually:

On your remote (don't look at the TV when doing this as nothing happens until you press the final one:

services 0 0 1 select

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 100 minutes

New Discussion