Discussion topic: Turning off my sky box

This message was authored by MPower1 This message was authored by: MPower1

Turning off my sky box

Is there any issues with turning off my sky box each night....currently I leave it on stand by ...but due to the increase in electricity prices I am looking at saving costs so want to turn the power off (at maisn socket) to the box each night .  I don't want to damage the box.

Also, if I do turn off the power to the box will it impact any programmes I have set to record to planner?

Best Answers
This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome Answer

Re: Turning off my sky box

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

If you have set recordings for overnight then they will not record while the box is off. From time to time Sky send updates out to the boxes overnight which again will be missed. There is an eco mode you can put your box into if you want as this uses very little power if you want to leave it on.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
If you need help please provide as much information as you can

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome Answer

If you have set recordings for overnight then they will not record while the box is off. From time to time Sky send updates out to the boxes overnight which again will be missed. There is an eco mode you can put your box into if you want as this uses very little power if you want to leave it on.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

You can switch it off, but it won't receive (infrequent) software updates or be able to record anything while it's unpowered. A better solution might be to turn on Eco mode in your Sky box's standby settings which will put the box in deep sleep mode overnight, when it uses around 1w of power, but still allows it to wake up and record etc. 

This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1

@MPower1  Obviously turning it off would stop any programes being recorded overnight.  

Turning it on & off repeatedly may cause long term damage and shorten the life of the box, given the low power consumption in standby mode I doubt you would see any significant savings. 

If as suggested by @Mark39  & @caesarome  you put it in eco mode then you will be using minimal power.

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

This message was authored by techman9 This message was authored by: techman9

Turning it on & off repeatedly may cause long term damage and shorten the life of the box, given the low power consumption in standby mode I doubt you would see any significant savings. 

@GD1   Glass users are screwed then 😂

This message was authored by SKY1992bf This message was authored by: SKY1992bf

@MPower1  Switching off every night will also result in you missing any software updates (although these are very rare now, there may be the occasional emergency updates similar to the bug fix for the bst clock change issue)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please note: I am just a sky customer not a employee - posts from sky employees are clearly marked as such
my setup: Samsung 5 series 32inc tv | sky +hd box | variety, SKY & TNT sports,sky cinema | Netflix and prime video
Please note: I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
if this post has helped please give it a like ~ if this post has solved your question/query please mark it as the answer in order to help others

If you would like to post a “Send Your Thanks to Sky” message please click Here
This message was authored by Julian54 This message was authored by: Julian54

I just want to power-down the thing to save energy: I don't have any night-time recordings and don't worry about missed updates.. Please just advise how to power-down and how to put into Eco mode

This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome

@Julian54 wrote:

and how to put into Eco mode

Press services on your Sky+ remote then go to Options > Standby Mode and change this to Eco and press the green button to save and the Sky button to exit.

This message was authored by Julian54 This message was authored by: Julian54

I couldn't see 'Services' on my Sky remote,  but found via the settings menu in the sidebar, which let me set the 'ECO' mode.  Now I just have to go back and check that I 'SAVED' it.

@Julian54 sounds like you have Sky Q, not Sky+. Eco mode works in the same way for Sky Q. You won't miss any recordings you set during the low power period, and software updates will continue to take place normally.

This message was authored by Chippy3 This message was authored by: Chippy3

Recently we lost signal etc and engineer said don't switch the box off as it stops important updates but it can be left in standby mode I believe as sky can reboot the box overnight 

@Chippy3 wrote:

Recently we lost signal etc and engineer said don't switch the box off as it stops important updates but it can be left in standby mode I believe as sky can reboot the box overnight 

That doesn't really apply to Sky+ boxes, which haven't received an update for many months, and, as recently confirmed by Sky, won't receive any future updates.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 100 minutes

New Discussion