Discussion topic: TV essentials and smart TVs

This message was authored by EBoon This message was authored by: EBoon

TV essentials and smart TVs

Hello, I hope someone can help me, and forgive my naivety! I have recently cancelled the sky variety package as we do not really use it, we are just going to have the TV essentials package and upgrade the actual TV to a smart TV so we can have iplayer, netflix, etc, etc in that room. My question is, can I use the sky TV essentials - through the box - and access the smart TV apps at the same time? Or will I need to unplug the sky box when I want to use just the smart TV functions and plug  the sky box in again when we want to use it (i.e. just to record and make use of the pause live tv function as that is all you get with the essentials package really). I don't understand how smart TVs work whilst connected to a sky box! Thanks. 

Best Answers
This message was authored by SKY1992bf This message was authored by: SKY1992bf Answer

Re: TV essentials and smart TVs

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@EBoon  Sky box connects to your tv via hdmi so you can leave it connected and just switch the source over from the box to tv and vice verse 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please note: I am just a sky customer not a employee - posts from sky employees are clearly marked as such
my setup: Samsung 5 series 32inc tv | sky +hd box | variety, SKY & TNT sports,sky cinema | Netflix and prime video
Please note: I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
if this post has helped please give it a like ~ if this post has solved your question/query please mark it as the answer in order to help others

If you would like to post a “Send Your Thanks to Sky” message please click Here

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by SKY1992bf This message was authored by: SKY1992bf Answer

@EBoon  Sky box connects to your tv via hdmi so you can leave it connected and just switch the source over from the box to tv and vice verse 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please note: I am just a sky customer not a employee - posts from sky employees are clearly marked as such
my setup: Samsung 5 series 32inc tv | sky +hd box | variety, SKY & TNT sports,sky cinema | Netflix and prime video
Please note: I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
if this post has helped please give it a like ~ if this post has solved your question/query please mark it as the answer in order to help others

If you would like to post a “Send Your Thanks to Sky” message please click Here
EBoon
Topic Author
This message was authored by EBoon This message was authored by: EBoon

Thank you! Makes perfect sense to me now. I appreciate the response. 

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@EBoon wrote:

I don't understand how smart TVs work whilst connected to a sky box!

The 'smart' bit of the television set is entirely independent of any attached device such as a Sky box: the television has its own operating system and graphical user interface (which will be rather more sophisticated than that of Sky+ HD) to access on-board apps, settings and other features.

As @SKY1992bf indicates, the Sky+ output is accessed by selecting the appropriate HDMI input port using the TV remote.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by Exiled-in-HH This message was authored by: Exiled-in-HH

@EBoon what sort of BB package do you have?

Exiled in HH
This message was authored by Michael+31 This message was authored by: Michael+31

Im looking at any thing that i can plug in the back for free channels 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 100 minutes

New Discussion