Discussion topic: Sky+ customer with Sky Cinema - will I get Paramount+ for free?

This message was authored by DetMerc This message was authored by: DetMerc

Sky+ customer with Sky Cinema - will I get Paramount+ for free?

Of course I understand that the Sky+ box can't run apps, so I would have to view Paramount+ via some other route.

Information I've seen so far:

(1) Original Sky press release last year - https://www.skygroup.sky/article/viacomcbs-partners-with-sky-to-launch-paramount-in-europe

This says "Upon launch, Sky Cinema subscribers will get the bonus of Paramount+ included at no additional cost" - but earlier it mentions Sky Q, so it could be talking in the context of Sky Q customers (no mention of Sky Glass there, btw).

(2) Recent Paramount press release - https://ir.paramount.com/news-releases/news-release-details/paramount-reveals-uk-launch-date-pricing...

This says "Sky Cinema subscribers will get the bonus of Paramount+ included at no extra cost." with no mention of Sky Q or Sky Glass.

(3) A reply by the Twitter account ParamountPlusUK - https://twitter.com/ParamountPlusUK/status/1526546617746214913

This says "From 22nd June, if you create your account through Sky Q or Sky Glass you'll be able to log in and access Paramount+ through the standalone app or compatible streaming devices"

I'm not expecting anyone from Sky to post here - but if anyone does see a definitive answer anywhere - hopefully between now and late June - then it would be great if you could share it here.
And of course people are free to speculate one way or the other - I oscillate between optimism and pessimism.

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: Sky+ customer with Sky Cinema - will I get Paramount+ for free?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@DetMerc 

Without using in-app sign-up on Sky hardware already linked to a Sky account there would need to be some other way for Paramount to verify identity and subscription status with Sky: that's both a non-trivial internet-linked database exercise and a complication for data protection.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
DetMerc
Topic Author

@TimmyBGood
Yes, it's that initial account creation step that looks tricky in the Sky+ case.
In theory I guess Sky could add something in the sky.com web-site, so that once you are logged in it can check your Sky TV subscription and see if it includes Sky Cinema, and if so then somehow link to Paramount for account creation - but as you say that would be non-trivial, and a bit clunky for the end user too.
Still I will be disappointed not to get Paramount+ if there is no way for Sky+ customers with Sky Cinema to access it, other than paying for it standalone of course.

This message was authored by Plektrum This message was authored by: Plektrum

Until it's actually confirmed how that content will be served it's all speculation  - either it will be an app & there will be some kind of authentication process via Q/Glass or the content will be served natively much like Peacock but I'm more inclined to go with the Paramount social account and that it will be served via an app so can't say how Plus customers get access or not. 

I've noticed they're having to say a little more now such as the mention of Q/Glass and confirming that NOW customers don't get access so they seem to be slipping in more details but I'd think that a month out they'd be giving us some confirmation by now. 

—————————————————————————————————————————————————
Still in search of a great signature! I’ll get there one day!
DetMerc
Topic Author

Hi @Plektrum 

It seems like you are right when you say "or the content will be served natively much like Peacock."

I just got a reply on Twitter from Sky, and they said:

From June 22, Sky+ customers with Sky Cinema will see Paramount+ movies and TV shows on their Sky+ box. There won't be as many titles available on Sky+ as there are Sky Glass and Sky Q. Sky+ customers also won't have access to the Paramount+ app.

I'm particularly looking forward to Star Trek: Strange New Worlds, so hopefully that is one of the titles that is available on Sky+

This message was authored by rob68 This message was authored by: rob68

I've watched the first four episodes of Strange New Worlds that was downloaded to my Sky+ HD Box. What I am wondering now is if they will send the rest out in a few weeks or if it was just a teaser to try and get you to subscribe or upgrade to Q/Glass. Does anyone have any idea if those of us with HD boxes will get to see the rest of season 1 ?

This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

I think the episodes get added weekly, possibly on a Wednesday.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
If you need help please provide as much information as you can

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 100 minutes

New Discussion