Discussion topic: Sky+ box No Signal

This message was authored by tonyc123 This message was authored by: tonyc123

Sky+ box No Signal

Sky+ box is showing "no signal" message and I notice that the time and date on the message screen is set to 12:00 am 01/01.

There is no signal strength or quality and the Lock Inicator is Not Locked.

Network ID/Transport Stream is NULL.

I'm guessing it's a dish/LNB issue but hought I'd ask in here first.

thanks,

Tony 

All Replies

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

Re: Sky+ box No Signal

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Very likely, yes. You could check the dish cable connection at the back of the box (after turning off at the plug first) in case it's a cable issue. Unscrew the connector, check it looks OK and reconnect it. Failing that,  best book an engineer to investigate.

This message was authored by ..snotthelimit This message was authored by: ..snotthelimit

Same thing with my Sky+ box this morning. Everything was fine just before midnight before I went to bed. Now, it's just showing the no signal message and lack of signal indicators. Have checked the cables and dish alignment and they appear undisturbed. Suspicious it's at the same time as Tony's issue.

This message was authored by Annie+UK This message was authored by: Annie+UK

"No Satellite Signal" usually indicates an issue with one or more of the following:

• The Dish is misaligned
• The Tuners in the sky box
• The input sockets on the Sky box
• The plugs on the cables
• The cables themselves
• The Sockets on the dishes LNB
• The dishes LNB has gone faulty for the connections the box is using

You may have to call out sky or a 3rd party satellite/aerial company

Note: If you have a communal dish then this is maintained by your landlord/building management and NOT sky

Annie  ( Please Note: I am Neurodivergent )

@..snotthelimit wrote:

Same thing with my Sky+ box this morning. Everything was fine just before midnight before I went to bed. Now, it's just showing the no signal message and lack of signal indicators. Have checked the cables and dish alignment and they appear undisturbed. Suspicious it's at the same time as Tony's issue.

The only reliable way to establish where the problem lies, is to book an engineer, either Sky or a local installer.

This message was authored by RGBarnes This message was authored by: RGBarnes

31.7.23. After problems several weeks ago, I have not used my TV. I tried again this morning, signal was good. Tried again 10 minutes later and I get flashes of a channel but mainly "Samsung." My sky box is nearly 8 years old, I'd assumed that it needs replacing. I am in SR4 postcode. Are other people locally having a problem?

@RGBarnes actually there's no such thing as a local problem with satellite signals, apart from your own dish setup. It's the same satellite signal from the same cluster of satellites that everybody receives, so if there was a problem with the signal being broadcast, every Sky customer would experience it.

This message was authored by Annie+UK This message was authored by: Annie+UK

@RGBarnes wrote:

31.7.23. After problems several weeks ago, I have not used my TV. I tried again this morning, signal was good. Tried again 10 minutes later and I get flashes of a channel but mainly "Samsung." My sky box is nearly 8 years old, I'd assumed that it needs replacing. I am in SR4 postcode. Are other people locally having a problem?

Sky stopped manufacturing Sky+ boxes over 8 years ago, an 8 year old box should not need replacing unless it has gone faulty, there are boxes of 20+ years out there that are still going good

Annie  ( Please Note: I am Neurodivergent )
This message was authored by ..snotthelimit This message was authored by: ..snotthelimit

Curious, why does the date/time show 12:00 Thurs 01/01 ? Presuming that the date and time are normally picked up from the satellite signal, which isn't being received now, rather than an internal clock?

@..snotthelimit wrote:

Curious, why does the date/time show 12:00 Thurs 01/01 ? Presuming that the date and time are normally picked up from the satellite signal, which isn't being received now, rather than an internal clock?

That would be my assumption too.

Update: by the early afternoon some of the channels had returned and signal was fluctuating between 30-50%. By later afternoon all channels had returned and signal was back to 50-60%. Most odd as the weather has been the same all day and there's been no other visible obstruction either.

tonyc123
Topic Author
This message was authored by tonyc123 This message was authored by: tonyc123

Yes, bizzarely the same for me. When I got home from work late afternoon everything was back to normal. Probably caused by a fat pigeon sitting on the LNB 😀

So this morning the very same issue has reared it's head again.
Started with some channels showing the no satellite signal message, then a couple of reboots later even more channels started to show the same, until eventually no channels were working. Signal strength indicators showing no signal whatsoever. Have checked the dish/lnb and all seem fine, no obstructions. A little cloudy but no more than a rainy day.

@..snotthelimit possibly water in the cables. Really the only reliable way to fix it is to get a satellite installer to come and take a look.

This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

@Mark39 wrote:

@..snotthelimit possibly water in the cables. Really the only reliable way to fix it is to get a satellite installer to come and take a look.

@..snotthelimit 

At your own expense I'm afraid (unless you already have Sky Protect through Domestic and General Insurance) as Sky no longer send engineers to Sky+ issues. 

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 100 minutes

New Discussion