Discussion topic: Sky+HD unable to connect with my wireless network

This message was authored by 2greens1red This message was authored by: 2greens1red

Sky+HD unable to connect with my wireless network

I've had a Sky+ HD for many years, and I've never had a problem. Recently it's asking me to connect to my Broadband network (fast fibre, BT is the provider).

On Settings I try and connect with the WPS button to my router. But this doesn't work. Message is "there has been a problem connecting to the network....please check your settings and try again".

Connect with Password doesn't work as the Sky Box can't "see" my wireless network (there are two). The networks are fine, as my laptop (on which I'm writing) and my phone connect OK to the router.

I therefore deduce there is a problem with the Sky Box. Any suggestions welcome.

All Replies

2greens1red
Topic Author
This message was authored by 2greens1red This message was authored by: 2greens1red

Re: Sky+HD unable to connect with my wireless network

In addition to my own 2 networks, any device searching for WiFi also picks up at least 2 of my neighbours, and these aren't being detected either.

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

You could try turning off the 5GHz wifi band in your Smart Hub settings. That way your Sky box will see only the 2.4GHz network and may then be able to connect.

2greens1red
Topic Author

Many thanks, but that might be difficult, as my BT Hub feeds an ethernet network, with repeaters around the property. I'll see if I can change the band on the relevant repeater.

2greens1red
Topic Author

I was unable to change the Band on the relevant repeater, so I tested the wireless connection on my Sky+ Box on 3 additional WiFi networks ("powerful" Smarty dongle, Vodafone dongle, iPhone Hotspot) and none of them were visibile, though all 4 "networks" could run a MacBook without a problem.

So I'm assuming my Sky+ box is faulty, and I'm upgrading to Sky Q.

This message was authored by Chris+SkyHD This message was authored by: Chris+SkyHD

I have two  Sky+ hd boxes and both used to be able to connect to my old iPhone 4s. I now have a new iPhone 13 and, just for fun, tested the wifi connectivity....neither box will connect.

One box has an external wifi receiver box, the other has built in wifi. Neither can see the phone's wifi hotspot. Having checked the spec of the new phone, I can see the wifi security is wap3a and the wifi is 

• Wi‑Fi 6 (802.11ax) with 2x2 MIMO

I suspect these 'more modern' protocols are not compatible with the Sky had boxes.

This message was authored by Annie+UK This message was authored by: Annie+UK

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Chris+SkyHD wrote:

I have two  Sky+ hd boxes and both used to be able to connect to my old iPhone 4s. I now have a new iPhone 13 and, just for fun, tested the wifi connectivity....neither box will connect.

One box has an external wifi receiver box, the other has built in wifi. Neither can see the phone's wifi hotspot. Having checked the spec of the new phone, I can see the wifi security is wap3a and the wifi is 

• Wi‑Fi 6 (802.11ax) with 2x2 MIMO

I suspect these 'more modern' protocols are not compatible with the Sky had boxes.

Correct

Annie  ( Please Note: I am Neurodivergent )

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 100 minutes

New Discussion