Discussion topic: Magic Eye picture works but sssshing sound

This message was authored by peter060 This message was authored by: peter060

Magic Eye picture works but sssshing sound

My magic eye worked perfectly for some years. Now I can get a perfect picture but the sound is sssssshing. The rf connection works because the LED on the eye is illuminated. I have checked and re-checked the connections but still no sound. Its a + box

Any ideas please

Best Answers
This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39 Answer

Re: Magic Eye picture works but sssshing sound

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Ad a first step, try changing the RF Output Channel in your Sky box settings (let us know if you don't know how). Once you've done that, you'll need to re-tune the connected TV, to pick up the new channel.

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39 Answer

Ad a first step, try changing the RF Output Channel in your Sky box settings (let us know if you don't know how). Once you've done that, you'll need to re-tune the connected TV, to pick up the new channel.

peter060
Topic Author

Hi Mark39

The Channel has always been 68. Not sure how to change the channel. Obviously it is Analogue

Peter

This message was authored by Annie+UK This message was authored by: Annie+UK

The RF Channel can be changed in the hidden menu (see my Sky Plus FAQ)

Annie  ( Please Note: I am Neurodivergent )
This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

As @Annie+UK posted, the RF Output Channel setting is in the Installer Menu accessed by keying Servoces,0,0.1.Select on your remote. When you've changed the setting press Green to save it.

See @Annie+UK's FAQ for more details.

It's a first,step, as I posted before, and may not resolve it, but it's easy, costs nothing and rules out one potential cause. Let us know if it doesn't help.

peter060
Topic Author

Thank you both for that. Unfortunately it did not work. I tried several different channels all to no avail.

Is there anything else I can do?

Peter

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

Unfortunately it sounds like a failing component in your Sky box - the RF modulator - a fault which has been reported before. 

The modulator drifts slightly off the assigned channel over time leading to white noise over the audio and eventually swamping it. As the fault develops video also drifts and the picture disappears too.

You might find that if you turn off your Sky box at the plug and leave it for say an hour, the audio will come back for a while before gradually disappearing again.

Unless you can find someone locally to replace the RF modulator, the only solution is a replacement box. There's no shortage of used boxes available cheaply on ebay  - pick a DRX890 or DRX895 as they're the most recent. Beware though that later boxes don't have RF outputs, and you would need a plug-in adaptor (an IO Link) which provides a single RF2 port. The adaptor might not now be easy to come by. 

peter060
Topic Author

Thanks Mark39. As our Sky contract ends in February next year we have ordered Sky Q and a mini box to be fitted early December. It means a lot less wires!

Peter

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 100 minutes

New Discussion