Discussion topic: Help with magic eye

This message was authored by Miklaus This message was authored by: Miklaus

Help with magic eye

Hello, ive been at my 88 year old mums today , her old sony lcd 32" located in the kitchen packed in , its connected to her sky hd box (it's a WiFi model)

. Luckily i had a spare LG 32" smart thin q tv

I've taken it down off the wall and replaced it , the problem is that although the magic eye is lit up I can't see sky .

its telling me it can't connect .

Now I thought all I had to do was press the WiFi and the tv would pick up the signal , it picked the bt broadband up .

its not to watch three TVs at once ( theirs one in her bedroom)

normally they all show what's on the box and can change channel in every room with remote .

can anyone advise what to do !! ,

im 63 myself and im perplexed , her grandsons don't have time to sort it !!

thanks in advance  

Best Answers
This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39 Answer

Re: Help with magic eye

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

A magic eye arrangement doesn't use your wifi connection. The sound/video from the Sky box is provided via the aerial cable. You need to use the analogue tuner accessed via the TV's setup menu to scan for (TV) channels while the Sky box is turned on.

2 possible issues - if the TV is recent, it may not have an analogue tuner. We may be able to check that for you if you tell us the model number. Second, again, if the TV is recent, it may not scan above channel 50. The Sky box's default output channel is 68 so in those circumstances the TV will never find it.

Let us know how you get on, and we'll try to help further

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39 Answer

A magic eye arrangement doesn't use your wifi connection. The sound/video from the Sky box is provided via the aerial cable. You need to use the analogue tuner accessed via the TV's setup menu to scan for (TV) channels while the Sky box is turned on.

2 possible issues - if the TV is recent, it may not have an analogue tuner. We may be able to check that for you if you tell us the model number. Second, again, if the TV is recent, it may not scan above channel 50. The Sky box's default output channel is 68 so in those circumstances the TV will never find it.

Let us know how you get on, and we'll try to help further

Miklaus
Topic Author

Thanks Mark,

it's an LG 32" model 32LM63 smart AI think - active HDR , when setting it up keyed in password for bt broadband it picked that up .

i connected the existing sky magic eye , but it can't seem to find it .

i can only assume it's as you say that there's no analogue tuner in it .

only other option would be to attempt to purchase a basic non smart tv with analogue capability (if you know of any) 

thanks 

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

@Miklaus from what I've found online, it does have an analogue tuner, so you could try changing the RF Output Channel in the Sky box settings to one below 50. To do that you need to access the Installer Menu, which you can do by pressing Services,0,0,1,Select on  the Sky remote.

This message was authored by Exiled-in-HH This message was authored by: Exiled-in-HH

@Miklaus did you do an analogue or digital scan on the LG TV?

Exiled in HH
Miklaus
Topic Author

Thanks Mark, I'll try that later today .

Miklaus
Topic Author

I'm not 100% sure , I know I selected digital for the antennae. I'll have to go into settings to check . I'm normally only familiar with the Sony set ups , but this LG one was quite complicated for me , and I'm usually tech savvy.

but thanks for the replies guys , couldn't respond late yesterday as I'd gone out for a couple of shandy's . 

This message was authored by Exiled-in-HH This message was authored by: Exiled-in-HH

The output from the Sky+ is analogue so you must not do a digital search or smart search ... LG search the full range of UHF channels 1 to 69😉

Exiled in HH
Miklaus
Topic Author

Thanks @Exiled-in-HH 

Exhiled,

im going over in the morning to attempt to configure it , I was winging it Friday without the instruction manual.

Ill go back in and retune .

thanks for your help and advice .

Ill let you and mark know how I get on !

as I said she's 88 , wont upgrade to sky Q.

she herself was bewildered when watching me go through the stages of setting it up entering passwords and regional access, she said she remembered when you just plugged Ariel in and the nice man from crampton and Moore adjusted the colour !!!

cheers

Miklaus

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 100 minutes

New Discussion