Discussion topic: Do I still need to connect my skybox to a telephone line

This message was authored by moronic This message was authored by: moronic

Do I still need to connect my skybox to a telephone line

I am switching to fibre broadband and wondered if I still need to plug my sky boxes into a telephone line. The old copper lines are going to be phased out by 2025 anyway.

All Replies

This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome

Re: Do I still need to connect my skybox to a telephone line

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

The box no longer needs to be connected to a phone line and hasn't done for years anyway.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
If you need help please provide as much information as you can
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: Do I still need to connect my skybox to a telephone line

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@moronic wrote:

The old copper lines are going to be phased out by 2025 anyway.

Nope, copper will be in use to deliver digital data (TCP/IP) using ADSL / FTTC / G.fast long past then, because there's no way every property in the UK will get FTTP within the next couple of years and access is covered by the Universal Service Obligation.  It's analogue PSTN which is being switched off, plus ISDN services and power from the exchange.

As @caesarome notes, the obligation to connect a dial-up modem within a Sky+ box to a phone line for at least 12 months after purchase in order to get the subsidised price ended years ago: the last models of Sky+ HD hardware to be manufactured in 2014-15 before production switched to Sky Q didn't even have modem hardware.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 100 minutes

New Discussion