Discussion topic: Change from Sky Q to previous Sky HD

This message was authored by Sayek This message was authored by: Sayek

Change from Sky Q to previous Sky HD

Hello all

Been with Sky for 14 years and of that 3 years as Sky Q.

Previous 2 renewals Sky offered a decent discount to stay but this time they are not offering anything decent so will return the box.  It's a choice between Sky Q or paying for gas/electric 😞

I understand the older Sky HD box receives all freeview channels and I need to downgrade the LNB.

If i pickup a HB box from ebay and connect..is it simple as that?  Does it even need a card?

As the LNB downgrade..I assume anyone with a ladder can do this or does it need some technical calibration?

Appreciate your help 🙂

All Replies

This message was authored by PandJ2020 This message was authored by: PandJ2020

Re: Change from Sky Q to previous Sky HD

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Why not get an up to date FreeSat box which supports the wide band LNB?  No ladders involved...

Going back to HD can be done and isn't that difficult but without a subscription you get no recording capability.

I am just another Sky customer and my views are my own
This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

@Sayek wrote:

As the LNB downgrade..I assume anyone with a ladder can do this or does it need some technical calibration?

Changing the LNB does require some minor technical calibration around the skew angle. You can probably look find a guide online showing you what's required and how to do it.  If ypu're careful not to disturb the dish alignment you should be able to get decent reception without signal test gear.

Sayek
Topic Author

Appreciate your reply.

I was considering a freesat box but the wife is addicted to some indian soap between 8pm and 10pm and they are available on Sky HD box. If these channels were available on Freesat I would happily purchase the box as it would be plug and play 😞

Sayek
Topic Author

Appreciate your reply.

I am scared of heights so will need to find someone with a ladder. If i spot a Sky van... I wonder if i pay for his dinner would he swap the LNB?

This message was authored by oj01 This message was authored by: oj01

@Sayek wrote:

Appreciate your reply.

I was considering a freesat box but the wife is addicted to some indian soap between 8pm and 10pm and they are available on Sky HD box. If these channels were available on Freesat I would happily purchase the box as it would be plug and play 😞

But is that channel available without a Sky subscription on the Sky+HD box? 

Sky Community Forum SuperUser
Former Sky+HD Beta Tester
Sky Signature, Sky Sports, Sky HD, Sky Mobile
Member Of The Community Since 2011
Staying on Sky+HD

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 100 minutes

New Discussion