Discussion topic: just got Sky Stream where are the included films?

This message was authored by ln99 This message was authored by: ln99

just got Sky Stream where are the included films?

Title says it all really, So far all the films I have tried to watch have needed to be paid for. I didn't take out Sky cinema as I was given the impression there was plenty on Sky stream,  but I don't know how to find them. Can someone point me in the right direction please.

PS I was also given to believe searching for stuff on Sky was sooo much easier but so far I am finding it not so I hope that changes soon.

Best Answers
This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith Answer

Re: just got Sky Stream where are the included films?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

There is no "free" films as part of Sky Stream per se however the Netflix standard with ads tier is included as part of your subscription but you need to link you Sky and Netflix account first in order to get Netflix without having to pay for it. https://www.sky.com/help/articles/apps-on-sky-q-and-glass-using-netflix

The Sky streaming platform is just the sky services streamed via the internet rather than satellite, along with the major on-demand app services included on the device and integrated with the search and playlist functionality of the device ( ItV X, C4, IPlayer, Prime Video, Netflix etc).  However for the paid for app services like Amazon, Disney and paramount you need a subscription.

Sky Stream user. Former Sky+ HD and Sky Broadband customer
Please LIKE any responses you found helpful
Please mark a response as an ANSWER if it has solved your query/issue

NOT a Sky Employee

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1

@ln99  If you mean Sky Store movies you need tio acces the Sky Store app on your stream puck to purchase them.  These will need to be paid for by card as they are not added to your bill.

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith Answer

There is no "free" films as part of Sky Stream per se however the Netflix standard with ads tier is included as part of your subscription but you need to link you Sky and Netflix account first in order to get Netflix without having to pay for it. https://www.sky.com/help/articles/apps-on-sky-q-and-glass-using-netflix

The Sky streaming platform is just the sky services streamed via the internet rather than satellite, along with the major on-demand app services included on the device and integrated with the search and playlist functionality of the device ( ItV X, C4, IPlayer, Prime Video, Netflix etc).  However for the paid for app services like Amazon, Disney and paramount you need a subscription.

NOT a Sky Employee

ln99
Topic Author

ah ok that has explained a bit - I was mostly interested in broadband package but also a bit of TV and films, and wanted to keep the cost down, so I was told that this package would give me access to the normal freeview plus lots of films:

Sky Stream puck

Sky Ultimate TV - Sky Entertainment with Netflix

Netflix Standard with Ads

so do I get access to lots of films with this package and if so where do I find them? - only the ones on netflix?

Thanks

This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith

Yes Netflix is the only paid for on-demand app included.

The other films will be whatever is available on the free on-demand apps like ItV X or BBC IPlayer.

If you don't have a subscription to the other paid for apps like Disney +, Amazon Prime Video or Paramount + on-demand films is more limited. THE Sky cinema pack adds Sky Cinema and a paramount plus subscription to your account.

NOT a Sky Employee

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@ln99 wrote:

I was told that this package would give me access to the normal freeview plus lots of films:

That's unfortunately not accurate: the default bundle gives access to (a subset of the) free to air channels which are on the satellite & terrestrial broadcast platforms, plus the subscription channels (Sky-branded and otherwise) plus Netflix in HD (with adverts). The films available are whatever those free and non-free broadcast channels carry, plus those which Netflix makes or licenses.

Adding Sky Cinema gives access to more films (as one would hope) but their catalogue is rather less comprehensive these days because streaming services can afford to offer more to purchase rights (and only Disney+ has the Disney, 20th Century Fox, Marvel, Pixar and Star Wars catalogues as they own those)

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@ln99 

And note there is no 'normal freeview'-only bundle on Stream or Glass:  Sky Q has a Free(sat) offering, called 'TV Essentials' but it's not possible to add Sky Cinema on top of that.

ln99
Topic Author

Thanks for the replies, it seems that I was not completely informed.

So if it isn't the 'normal' freeview is there somewhere - apart from the sky interface, which I find unhelpful - to find out what is on that night?

and also a way to see which films are available to me - and only those ones? I keep seeing films I would like to see but there is a charge for them...

@ln99 

Stream was designed to be a Sky subscription delivery platform: the Sky Home Page and EPG is the interface.

There isn't any separate list of individual films being carried on broadcast channels: I'm not aware of any EPG which has that function.

@ln99 

If you just want free to air channels rather than paying for a subscription EPG then Stream is not the platform for that: the modern solution would be a smart television set with the Freely app on board (the streaming replacement for broadcast Freeview/Freesat)

You could then add the subscription streaming service(s) of your choice for wider content availability.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion