Discussion topic: Why has my Sky Steam Puck lost sound?

This message was authored by wizzybyplane This message was authored by: wizzybyplane

Why has my Sky Steam Puck lost sound?

My Sky Stream puck has lost the ability to play sound. I followed all steps that Sky suggested but to no avail. I even did a factory reset causing all my playlists to be lost. I have disconnected and reconnectedd HD leads and turned TV on and off. Still the puck does not play sound. Any other help or advice would be hugely appreciated.

All Replies

This message was authored by Jones_The_Cat This message was authored by: Jones_The_Cat

Re: Why has my Sky Steam Puck lost sound?

@wizzybyplane wrote:

My Sky Stream puck has lost the ability to play sound. I followed all steps that Sky suggested but to no avail. I even did a factory reset causing all my playlists to be lost. I have disconnected and reconnectedd HD leads and turned TV on and off. Still the puck does not play sound. Any other help or advice would be hugely appreciated.

Have you turned the puck off at the wall for a minute and then powered it back on?

Also what are the audio output settings? PCM Stereo? Dolby Digital?

wizzybyplane
Topic Author
This message was authored by wizzybyplane This message was authored by: wizzybyplane

I set the Sound to Auto as recommended. I have disconneted the puck and reconnected. But nothing makes any difference.

This message was authored by Jones_The_Cat This message was authored by: Jones_The_Cat

Disconnecting isn't the same as re-booting the puck. Have you turned it off at the wall for a minute? Also, dumb question but your TV hasn't muted itself somehow has it? 

Try setting the puck to PCM Stereo. Have you tried a different HDMI cable?

wizzybyplane
Topic Author

My TV is fine through its Freeview receiver. I did switch it off then on. It was only after I did that I did a factory reset. My sound is sett to Auto after advice from the Sky help page, it was set to PCM Stereo prior.

@wizzybyplane wrote:

My TV is fine through its Freeview receiver. I did switch it off then on. It was only after I did that I did a factory reset. My sound is sett to Auto after advice from the Sky help page, it was set to PCM Stereo prior.

Sounds like you've done all the obvious things. If you've tried a different HDMI cable and it's still not working then I'd be inclined to ring Sky and ask for the puck to be replaced. 

This message was authored by Hertsskry This message was authored by: Hertsskry

I am now having the same issue after a firmware upgrade. Have you checked if your firmware has been upgraded?

will try a different hdmi cable tomorrow and if that doesn't work will get sky to send me a new one. Less than 1 month old too!

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@wizzybyplane wrote:

@wizzybyplane on many TVs there are separate audio settings for HDMI inputs from the built-in tuner. When connected to the puck go into the TV settings to see if one of these is wrong in particular check you have not activated ARC or eARC output rather than the TV's speakers.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode

Thanks but my tv doesn't have such a setting and works fine for other devices such as my Apple TV. Just switched the hdni cable to the one that Apple TV uses and same problem so definitely the puck.

Even tried plugging it into the tv downstairs where that puck works fine but no joy. So a dud puck! 

Ok doing a factory reset sorted the puck. A real glitchy device and software!

This message was authored by icecreamhead This message was authored by: icecreamhead

Hi, I just wanted to tag onto the thread to say that my puck also often loses all sound when set to "auto". It also seems to only affect some channels. If I set it to any of DD+/DD/PCM/Passthrough then the sound is fine! Very odd!

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion