Discussion topic: What is the sky sports delay for live events?

This message was authored by Andycricket This message was authored by: Andycricket

What is the sky sports delay for live events?

I want to watch the womens cricket world cup next month and looking to buy sky stream with sports package. I dont know if it will be shown on the mnain sky sports channel, or the cricket channel but in either case i want to watch witha  short of a delay as possible from the actual stadium. I heard Sky had proprietary software whcih brought this delay down to 8s but when i ring up customer support theyve not heard of this and say my delay will be 20-30s depending on my broadband speed. I have ultra fast broadband but how can i get the 8s delay stream or does it not exist? is it standard for sky stream or some add on? Thanks for any help

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: What is the sky sports delay for live events?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Andycricket 

Low latency transmission for Sports is currently an experimental Sky technology: it's not something an end user has any control over.

Broadband speed to the address is a negligible part of the equation: the latency is almost entirely on the server side.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith

@TimmyBGood wrote:

@Andycricket 

Low latency transmission for Sports is currently an experimental Sky technology: it's not something an end user has any control over.

Broadband speed to the address is a negligible part of the equation: the latency is almost entirely on the server side.

It also worth noting that currently the low latency transmission is only available for the Sky Sports Main Event channel

Sky Stream user. Former Sky+ HD and Sky Broadband customer
Please LIKE any responses you found helpful
Please mark a response as an ANSWER if it has solved your query/issue

NOT a Sky Employee

This message was authored by Stephen+Mourton This message was authored by: Stephen+Mourton

@MarkGoldsmith   Is this low latency on the Sky Sports Main Event available now to us all?

This message was authored by Jon+Reeve This message was authored by: Jon+Reeve

@Stephen+Mourton wrote:

@MarkGoldsmith   Is this low latency on the Sky Sports Main Event available now to us all?

Yes.

This message was authored by lettice This message was authored by: lettice

@Stephen+Mourton wrote:

For the Sky Sports Main event channel, the Q30 firmware in its few forms that is going out in phases to customers at the moment, will show a 'Live sync' button, next to 'Watch from Start'

This is the name for the Low latency option. It is only available from the Main Event hd/uhd 

channel at the moment, as above.

But the intention is to add it to other Sky Sports channels later. 

You can check if you have the Q30 firmware in the Sky Stream settings.

That firmware does have other fixes around lip sync, video freezing on live and on demand.

Plus some new playlist voice commands and Dolby Atmos badges in the show page content.

The live sync is also available from the channels at 921 and 922, hd and uhd.

Be aware that Live Sync will add some extra local network bandwidth, that your Sky Stream uses. I have found from testing it uses a good few to a handful of extra Mbps per puck at times, when used.

It may also leave a bit of extra cache around, so may be a good idea after using, to give your Sky Stream a restart using the Settings, restart option.

- - - - - - - -
Sky Community Superuser. What is a Superuser? Click here to find out
Sky Stream (2 pucks), Sky Ultrafast + using Sky SR203 hub. Sky Protect kit tester.
Andycricket
Topic Author
This message was authored by Andycricket This message was authored by: Andycricket

Anywhere i can check if the cricket will be shown on the main sky sports channel as opposed to the cricket channel (where the low latency stream doesnt exist afaik) ?

Will i get the short delay if i watch sky main channel through a nowtv subscription?

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion