Discussion topic: Video unavailable - sky stream

This message was authored by Efdhjlhshk This message was authored by: Efdhjlhshk

Video unavailable - sky stream

When trying to watch an episode of AppleTV on Sky Stream a message will appear that says "video unavailable. There is a problem loading your video. If this continues, please check your internet connection." 

The internet connection is fine and we're able to watch episodes on other apps, just not Apple TV.

We've already tried turning the sky stream puck on and off again and nothing changes. 

All Replies

This message was authored by Paul+Boland This message was authored by: Paul+Boland

Re: Video unavailable - sky stream

@Efdhjlhshk 

What TV Show episode are you trying to watch on Apple TV+

It would help if you provided that info so we can test that episode you having issues with

I just tested a few shows on Apple tv+ on Sky Stream I'm not getting any playback issues on the content I tested

What type of broadband connection do you have Fiber/Landline/Mobile

Who's your broadband provider

What's the download and upload speed you get from your broadband router wired using a ethernet cable to a PC or Laptop

What's the download speed you getting with Sky Stream you can test this using netflix 

Netflix click get help

Click check your network

Are you using Sky Stream by Wifi or Ethernet Cable

If using Wifi try with Ethernet Cable

‐-----‐----------------‐-------------------------------------
Sky Glass 65 inch and 2 Sky Stream Pucks
Gigabit Siro 100% Fiber Broadband with Digiweb
1000 Mbps download and 200 Mbps upload speed
I only use wired ethernet with Sky Glass and Sky Stream Pucks
Efdhjlhshk
Topic Author
This message was authored by Efdhjlhshk This message was authored by: Efdhjlhshk

Hi there, 

We're trying to watch Ted Lasso series two. We have Sky Superfast Broadband (63.0 MB/s). I've run the broadband checker via the my sky app and it says that wifi and streaming tv 'looks good'. Unfortunately I don't have an ethernet cable to test this with, we're using it over wifi. 

Thanks! 

This message was authored by Paul+Boland This message was authored by: Paul+Boland

@Efdhjlhshk 

I just did a quick test with Ted Lasso Season 2 on my Sky Stream Puck with Apple TV+ App

I tested Episodes 1/2/3

I have no issues with playback

Is it happening for you with all episodes of Season 2 or just a particular episode

63  Mbps I would not consider to be super fast broadband especially if you using lots of devices with your broadband connection same time

Was any other devices in your home  using your broadband connection same time when you was using Apple TV+ on Sky Stream

I have 100% Fiber Siro Gigabit Broadband with Digiweb in Republic of Ireland

1000 Mbps download and 200 Mbps 

This message was authored by Tim+Adams This message was authored by: Tim+Adams

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Hi @Paul+Boland 

Ofcom in the UK define a connection with speed of 30Mpbs to 300Mbps as superfast, so yes the OP does have a superfast connection.

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0018/100755/UK-home-broadband-performance,-November-... 

Thanks,

Tim

Sky Glass with Sky Live, Sky Stream & Sky Protect - FTTP 2Gbps
This message was authored by SlenderRobert This message was authored by: SlenderRobert

Broadband providers really need to stop this stupid branding of speeds as 'superfast' or 'ultrafast' - it's meaningless. Just tell us the actual speed for goodness sake. 

@Tim+Adams 

That's very outdated 30Mbps is now no way to be considered to be super fast broadband especially now with amount of devices that use broadband

100Mbps or higher I would consider to be fast broadband and the higher the better

Both Download and Upload speed makes a difference 

In Republic of Ireland we now have Gigabit broadband in a lot of homes 

Choice of 500Mbps or 1000Mbps download is what lot of homes now have in Republic of Ireland from Digiweb/Vodafone/Sky/Eir/Virgin and other broadband providers

Fiber Broadband is available in a lot of towns in Ireland it's 100% Fiber broadband to homes

New customers can choose 500Mbps or 1000 Mbps  download and a upload speed with 100Mbps

Customers who got Siro when first launched in 2015/2016 has download speed of 1000Mbps and a upload speed of 200Mbps

The 200 Mbps upload speed does not apply to new customers since 2020 as they changed it to upload speed of 100 Mbps for new connections or if you change to a different siro broadband provider

2 Gigabit Broadband (2000 Mbps) is also an option in Ireland for some locations

This message was authored by Tim+Adams This message was authored by: Tim+Adams

@Paul+Boland wrote:

@Tim+Adams 

That's very oudated 30Mbps is now way no considered to be super fast broadband especially now with amount of devices that use broadband

100Mbps or higher I would consider to be fast broadband and the higher the better

In Ireland we now have Gigabit broadband in a lot of homes 

Choice of 500Mbps or 1000Mbps download is what lot of homes now have in Republic of Ireland from Digiweb/Vodafone/Sky/Eir/Virgin and other broadband providers

Fiber Broadband is available in a lot of towns in Ireland it's 100% Fiber broadband to homes

New customers can choose 500Mbps or 1000 Mbps  download and a upload speed with 100Mbps

Customers who got siro when first launched has upload speed of 200Mbps

2 Gigabit Broadband (2000Mbps) is also an option in Ireland for some locations

Hi @Paul+Boland 

Please take that up with Ofcom, that's their information not mine.

19th May 2023 Ofcom refer to Superfast as 30Mbps 

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0026/261548/spring-2023-connected-nations-update.pdf

Thanks,

Tim

Sky Glass with Sky Live, Sky Stream & Sky Protect - FTTP 2Gbps

@Tim+Adams 

Ofcom UK should take notice to this

In today's world of streaming, gaming and skyping, where more and more work and business is being done online, a speed of at least 100Mbps is needed by many

https://www.bonkers.ie/guides/broadband-phone-tv/how-fast-is-highspeed-broadband/

https://www.bonkers.ie/guides/broadband-phone-tv/what-is-siro/

https://siro.ie/

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@Paul+Boland what you are not taking into account was when these terms were adopted. The 30Mb/s was chosen as a speed the predominant technology VDSL in use could deliver in over 80% of cases. Most connections were still using ADSL at that time. It is still used to allow consistent data gathering and for marketing purposes.. 

Things change now the main technology is FTTP which around 75% of UK addresses can access which can easily deliver speeds up to 1000Mb/s. However indications from network operators is that most users only use a fraction of the bandwidth they buy. 

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by Unisoft This message was authored by: Unisoft

@Paul+Boland wrote:

@Tim+Adams 

That's very outdated 30Mbps is now no way to be considered to be super fast broadband especially now with amount of devices that use broadband

In Republic of Ireland we now have Gigabit broadband in a lot of homes 

Customers who got Siro when first launched in 2015/2016 has download speed of 1000Mbps and a upload speed of 200Mbps

The 200 Mbps upload speed does not apply to new customers since 2020 as they changed it to upload speed of 100 Mbps for new connections or if you change to a different siro broadband provider

2 Gigabit Broadband (2000 Mbps) is also an option in Ireland for some locations

We have 10gbs in s number of areas here symmetric too. Youfibre is just one operator doing it. A significant part of UK can get at least gigabit services, some symmetric but most asymmetric.

The op was correct. Superfast is Ofcoms definition as was defined like 13+ years ago when ADSL was around. Ultrafast is now used for anything over 300mbps.

This message was authored by Andylee210 This message was authored by: Andylee210

I have the same issue, did you ever get to the bottom of this? I did read the comments but they seemed to digress into what is and what isn't super fast broadband. 

incidentally I have full fibre with Sky 1gb package, connecting with WiFi but getting around 500Mb in the room where the sky stream box is so definitely not a problem with the internet. 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion