Discussion topic: Using sky outside of uk

This message was authored by JulieMassage This message was authored by: JulieMassage

Using sky outside of uk

Moving to Europe for 3 years. Does anyone know if I can take and use my sky puk?

Best Answers
This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1 Answer

Re: Using sky outside of uk

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@JulieMassage wrote:

Moving to Europe for 3 years. Does anyone know if I can take and use my sky puk?

No, absolutely not, it's a breach of your T & C's, you will need to find a local provider for subscription TV, however most channels will be the local language as there are only a handful of English channels intended for a European Audience.

In addition Sky can only provide service to a UK or Irish address. 

I've removed your other post you tagged on the end of another thread as you've already asked the question here.

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1 Answer

@JulieMassage wrote:

No, absolutely not, it's a breach of your T & C's, you will need to find a local provider for subscription TV, however most channels will be the local language as there are only a handful of English channels intended for a European Audience.

In addition Sky can only provide service to a UK or Irish address. 

I've removed your other post you tagged on the end of another thread as you've already asked the question here.

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@JulieMassage 

Aside from being ruled out by T&C's, a Stream Puck associated with a UK Sky account won't function behind a non-UK IP address.

Sky Group has national presence in Germany and Italy but those are different operations with their own contracts (and only carry content in the appropriate local language)

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@JulieMassage

As a general principle, while such technology absolutely could function anywhere on the globe with sufficient bandwidth, it doesn't because media regulation, content licensing and 'matters of taste & decency' are still almost entirely entrenched at a national level, and the governments of most individual countries work very hard to keep things that way.

JulieMassage
Topic Author
This message was authored by JulieMassage This message was authored by: JulieMassage

Just had a lovely chat with Sky.  It seems that as long as the puk remains at the registered addrsss (where my children will still be living), I can use the Sky Go app in Germany. My account lets me log on to two devices at the same time.

thanks to everyone for helping with answers.

This message was authored by Mister_Dalek This message was authored by: Mister_Dalek

@JulieMassage wrote:

Just had a lovely chat with Sky.  It seems that as long as the puk remains at the registered addrsss (where my children will still be living), I can use the Sky Go app in Germany. My account lets me log on to two devices at the same time.

thanks to everyone for helping with answers.

Are you sure that's correct? I thought that since Brexit Sky Go is only available to view live in the UK and ROI for UK registered customers?

This message was authored by Exiled-in-HH This message was authored by: Exiled-in-HH

If what you've been told is correct .... if you have a Whole subscription you could watching Sky Go on an Apple TV box attached to a TV😉

Exiled in HH

@JulieMassage wrote:

It seems that as long as the puk remains at the registered addrsss (where my children will still be living), I can use the Sky Go app in Germany.

That's partly correct if you are a Sky subscriber with an address in the Republic of Ireland: Go will work in Europe for 30 days before requiring app use back 'at home'.  It's not intended to be a long term solution: EU-mandatated portability is intended for tourism and business travel, not relocation.

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/viewing-sky-content-in-the-eu-faqs-roi 

Portability for UK Sky subscriptions which used to permit Go viewing while travelling in the EU ceased with Brexit.

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/viewing-sky-content-in-the-eu-faqs 

@Mister_Dalek wrote:

I thought that since Brexit Sky Go is only available to view live in the UK and ROI for UK registered customers?

UK customers don't get to watch Go in RoI, because the Republic is in the EU.

JulieMassage
Topic Author

that's what I thought but I am moving with armed forces so there is a slightly different set up to allow us to access media we wouldn't ordinarily be able to.  

JulieMassage
Topic Author

Apparently slightly different set up for armed forces.

@JulieMassage 

I'd have to say that's never come up before, but I guess it's not impossible.  There would be some interesting issues of account verification and internet routing to deal with though.

JulieMassage
Topic Author

I double checked with Sky followig comments on here, I guess I'll know for sure in a few weeks. All this stuff is way over my level of understanding on these matters!  I just about cope with turning my tv on!! Appreciate all the help on here.

This message was authored by Exiled-in-HH This message was authored by: Exiled-in-HH

Are you going to live on a UK base... is it effectively UK territory if only by proxy is a special case?

Don't forget to get an Apple TV box😋

Exiled in HH
JulieMassage
Topic Author

Yep. Uk base, so technically sovereign soil. I think I was the first person to pose the question to Sky customer service!

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion