Discussion topic: Upgrading and Downgrading Netflix

This message was authored by JEFF1102 This message was authored by: JEFF1102

Upgrading and Downgrading Netflix

I am currently on Netflix Basic ad free but am thinking about upgrading to Netflix standard for £4 per month for what I believe will be a better PQ. But am not sure what will happen if I decide to go back to Netflix Basic.

1. Am I right in thinking that I currently have 720p PQ and will get an improved 1080p by upgrading? I dont need to be able to view on two devices at a time so its only for better HD.

2. If I decide to go back to Netflix Basic will I then be put on the new package where Netflix Basic has ads? Are there many ads or is it like ITV X where there is 5 mins of ads and are they during shows or just before a show starts? Also I believe I will retain 1080p PQ.

3.  If I do revert back and it is to Basic with Ads then I take it to upgrade after that will be £6 per month for standard under the new pricing.

I dont watch that much on Netflix but am watching Fool Me Once and noticed the PQ not as good as HD on other channels and streaming services so trying to weigh up if it is worth upgrading or if I am better off staying on Basic without ads but not as good PQ.  I can live with the ad version if its a better PQ and not too many ads. Thanks for any help.

Best Answers
This message was authored by Jones_The_Cat This message was authored by: Jones_The_Cat Answer

Re: Upgrading and Downgrading Netflix

@JEFF1102 wrote:

Thanks. I understand that but what i am tyring to ascertain is whether I currrently get 720p PQ and upgrading will give me 1080p and even standard with ads will be 1080p which is better PQ than I have now.

If you change your current package then yes, you will get bumped up to 1080P. 

The 720P Basic ad-free tier is now a legacy tier which is being phased out so you won't be able to go back to it. The basic service is now 1080P with ads. 

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@JEFF1102 

Netflix Basic only exists for legacy subscriptions: it's not available on any new order, change of tier or reversion.

'Standard with Ads' is the baseline product: there is no 'Basic with Ads'.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Subscription direct from Netflix is now this:

Netflix-UK-tiers-no-basic-plan-July-2023.jpg

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by Jones_The_Cat This message was authored by: Jones_The_Cat

@TimmyBGood wrote:

Subscription direct from Netflix is now this:

Netflix-UK-tiers-no-basic-plan-July-2023.jpg

That's out of date. It's now this:

nfli.jpg

JEFF1102
Topic Author
This message was authored by JEFF1102 This message was authored by: JEFF1102

Thanks. I understand that but what i am tyring to ascertain is whether I currrently get 720p PQ and upgrading will give me 1080p and even standard with ads will be 1080p which is better PQ than I have now.

This message was authored by Jones_The_Cat This message was authored by: Jones_The_Cat Answer

@JEFF1102 wrote:

If you change your current package then yes, you will get bumped up to 1080P. 

The 720P Basic ad-free tier is now a legacy tier which is being phased out so you won't be able to go back to it. The basic service is now 1080P with ads. 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion