Discussion topic: Stream puck - why so many issues?

This message was authored by Rodan This message was authored by: Rodan

Stream puck - why so many issues?

Hi all.

We're about 3 months in to Sky Stream. Previously used a Firestick with Now TV for Sky stuff which worked fine.

Stream is buggy. Constantly.

• Red spots on Netflix shows requiring an unplug and restart
  • Picture just stops and freezes randomly (live TV - not paused)
  • Audio will just stop working on any channel/app
  • Sports - F1 will freeze, and it'll say that there's an error and the channel can't load requiring a restart which is extremely annoying when you're on the final laps of a race
  • Remote won't respond sometimes
  • Trying to fast forward ads makes the show crash (on 4, 5 and ITV apps)

We got Sky broadband along with the puck. Were on TalkTalk before when we used the Firestick - no issues.

I'm getting pretty fed up with constantly having to unplug and reset the puck. It's ruining watching stuff, especially live sports.

Any ideas before I buy an ice hockey stick and use the puck literally as a puck?

Thanks

All Replies

This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1

Re: Stream puck - why so many issues?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Rodan  How fast is your broadband?  Have you connected the puck using ethernet cable from the hub to the puck?

Many of the issues described tend to be a result of poor wifi or broadband speeds as the pucks need at least 25mbps for HD & 35mbps for UHD.

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

Rodan
Topic Author
This message was authored by Rodan This message was authored by: Rodan

It's averaging about 30 so should be fine. That's what's puzzling me!

The puck hanging a lot seems like a software issue as it can happen even when just in the menus.

This message was authored by bydandie This message was authored by: bydandie

@Rodan wrote:

It's averaging about 30 so should be fine. That's what's puzzling me!

The puck hanging a lot seems like a software issue as it can happen even when just in the menus.

I think part of the issue is that there is resource exhaustion sometimes when using the puck.  Whether that is due to underpowered hardware or inefficient software is the real question.  The latter is easy to solve but the former isn't.

Memory management and caching are the two key elements of a product like this working.

Sky Stream
LG 55" G2 OLED
Virgin 1 Gig
Virgin v360
This message was authored by Gincap This message was authored by: Gincap

If truth be told its the poor quality equipment. Who hardwires these days.... and even when hardwired still the same issues often occur. Cheap under powered processors alongside flaky software.

I read the same issues today as I did at launch. There are better, cheaper options but consumers are fixed that they need to go with a provider like Sky or Virgin etc. madness all you need is a decent streaming box these days sign up monthly to the apps you watch and enjoy.

Apple have this sown up finally, all apps unlike Sky DAZN, Viaplay, WOW, BFI, etc . available

A Playlist that actually works and now a full UK TV launcher that puts the Sky developers to shame complete with Playlist. 

True some of the more obscure channels aren't available but there's always free view, freesat that's free why pay an entertainment subscription when you can get them free. 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion