Discussion topic: Stopping "To save energy, your device is going into standby mode"

This message was authored by brat42 This message was authored by: brat42

Stopping "To save energy, your device is going into standby mode"

How can I prevent the Sky Stream box from going to sleep? I have disabled power saving in settings to no success. Thank you.

2023-07-24_21-29-31.png2023-07-24_21-29-48.png

All Replies

This message was authored by adwarduk This message was authored by: adwarduk

Re: Stopping "To save energy, your device is going into standby mode"

@brat42 unfortunately theres now way to turn that off except to pickup the glass remote so it thinks your still there and watching.  I agree it should be configurable & a few times now I've lost a paused program position because the box has gone to sleep,  happens on the stream pucks as well. 

Sky stream, sky ultrafast with WiFi Max inc pods. BT halo3+ for none home usage. All round nerd 邏
This message was authored by adwarduk This message was authored by: adwarduk

Sorry it wasn't a better reply 😔

Sky stream, sky ultrafast with WiFi Max inc pods. BT halo3+ for none home usage. All round nerd 邏
This message was authored by Fothergill1 This message was authored by: Fothergill1

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@brat42 Glass TVs have motion detectors so there is an option to turn off this irritating feature (auto-standby when no motion detected - on/off) but unfortunately the stream puck, with no motion detectors,  does not have any way to do this.  This is one reason I use Glass and not a puck.

Unfortunately your only option is to have the remote nearby and pick it up from time to time.

Here is a link to a similar thread on the forum.

------------------------------------------
If my post has solved your issue please mark as an "Answer"
If it has helped please give it a "Like"
This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@brat42 modern set top boxes have to conform to power saving Ecodesign requirements orginally set by the EU but now adopted by the UK government.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by bob1234 This message was authored by: bob1234

@Chrisee wrote:

@brat42 modern set top boxes have to conform to power saving Ecodesign requirements orginally set by the EU but now adopted by the UK government.

I hope that does not mean that the stream boxes go into standby randomly, as far as I am aware they usually go into standby after a defined period when no button has been pressed on the remote.

With Glass it seems to be associated with motion detection which cannot be turned off in stream but it can be in Glass.

My stream does it randomly but not very often.

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@bob1234 the Streams  go into standby fairly quickly if left on a menu screen. If you are watching something it takes  longer but picking up the remote should reset the timer. Certainly I watched a fair bit of both cricket and F1 last weekend and never hit an issue.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by bob1234 This message was authored by: bob1234

@Chrisee wrote:

@bob1234 the Streams  go into standby fairly quickly if left on a menu screen. If you are watching something it takes  longer but picking up the remote should reset the timer. Certainly I watched a fair bit of both cricket and F1 last weekend and never hit an issue.

It would not be so bad if the text was more conspicuous or lasted longer as there is often little contrast between the text and the background, I don't think it is a timer as it is so random some days it does not happen at all and sometimes during a programme at random times.

This message was authored by SlenderRobert This message was authored by: SlenderRobert

I've never used my puck for long enough in one sitting to ever have experienced this!

I think the longest it's been on is just over an hour. 

This message was authored by Anonymous This message was authored by: Anonymous

I also have the Sky Stream puck and after just two days of use it has randomly turned of due to this energy saving 'feature' twice. 

Both times it was in less than an hour of use.  

Come on Sky - sort it out.  Give me an option to disable this annoying feature or at least override if I have otherwise set a sleep timer option.

This message was authored by Deebutt This message was authored by: Deebutt

I think it depends on what you are watching, it happens with our pucks on some Sky shows after only a few minutes. It doesn't seem to affect UHD content or any third party apps, but I haven't extensively tested.

This message was authored by Embarker This message was authored by: Embarker

Got to say this is the biggest "big brother" knows best crap I've experienced!! I pop to the pub leave the tv on to amuse the dogs and when I come home tv is off - **bleep**!!!

This message was authored by Dazzasky This message was authored by: Dazzasky

@Embarker wrote:

Got to say this is the biggest "big brother" knows best crap I've experienced!! I pop to the pub leave the tv on to amuse the dogs and when I come home tv is off - **bleep**!!!

I don't understand the issue, I'm not sure your dogs would be bothered either way. 

This message was authored by Fothergill1 This message was authored by: Fothergill1

@Dazzasky In fairness I also find the "feature" highly annoying.  Back in the day leaving a light and the TV on was a crime prevention tactic recommended by the Police and I am at that age where old habits die hard.  Additionally, like @Embarker we also like to leave the TV on when we go out to give some background noise for the dogs so they are not influenced by outside noises which might cause them to start barking in out absence.  Mind you we are usually back home before the ECO features kick in.

@EmbarkerUnfortunately there is not much we can do about it as in this case the "Big Brother" is the EU who passes energy saving legislation which Sky have to comply with.  HERE is a link if you are interested but TBH it's too long so I have never bothered.

------------------------------------------
If my post has solved your issue please mark as an "Answer"
If it has helped please give it a "Like"
This message was authored by Tlc2 This message was authored by: Tlc2

Do we have to comply with EU legislation now we are not in the EU though?

Mine goes off every hour and it's a chore. You can't even watch a film..  you should be able to adjust your settings to your preference as to how many times you want to confirm you're there.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion