Discussion topic: Still having audio issues with Sky Stream

This message was authored by gmhaggis This message was authored by: gmhaggis

Still having audio issues with Sky Stream

Still having same audio issue with my Sky Stream that have been reported previously and with no solutions that have made any difference. 

Basically, when watching live TV, eg Sky News,  the sound frequently cuts out either when the content switches to adverts or from adverts.  I have also found a simliar issue when watching Netflix.  When watching a TV series and I let play continue from one epsiode into the next,  When the next epsiode starts the sound cuts out.

Returning from the TV show and going back in, does not fix.

Suggested solutions to power off/on using the remote,  and mains power off/on do fix the problem temporarily, but it soon returns.  The quickest  solution I have found is to go to settings and switch from UHD down to 1080, then when on the confirm screen I can hear the sound return.  Selecting cancel (so still in UHD) and returning to the TV show I have audio again,  But, the isssue soon returns.

I have also done a factory reset and again, only fixed the issue temporarily.

This switching format solution seesm to point to the cause of the problem.  The Steam puck is unable to handle the  switch in audio format/codec and HDMI handshake when content changes.  I have seen others suggest this as the root cause of their similar issues and they assert this is down to the low spec hardware used in the construction of the puck.  Obviosuly I cant verify the veracity of this, but the symptoms would seem to support it.

I dont see this a broadband issue.  My broadband is advertised as 150Mb (fibre. symmetrical) and the Netflix app network speed test shows between 80 and 90 Mbps.  Also, the puck is using a wired  ethernet connection.   

Regarding my setup, the puck is connected via HDMI to a Denon AVC X3700H amp (which is connected by HDMI to TV  - a 4K LG OLED 2021 model).  Cables are all rated to  48 GBps (Audioquest Pearl 48).  I also have an Apple TV 4K and a UHD BluRay player connected in the same way.  These are all able to handle the transitions through video/audio formats without any issues.  I have also previuosly used a BT 4K TV box and a Manhattan 4K Freeview PVR connected in the same way, all without issue.  

My Sky Stream  puck is currently showing OS version 1.2, Build version QS018.009.00P and H/W moodel IP061-ef.

Any other suggestions for what to try, thanks?  

All Replies

This message was authored by TonyJB This message was authored by: TonyJB

Re: Still having audio issues with Sky Stream

Hi unfortunately I am not posting a solution to the problem, but wondered if you had gotten anywhere with it? 

I have just introduced the stream to my set up and similarly am getting the same issues. The settings tell me a software update is in progress. Current build is QS019.008.00P. 

I have been playing with HDMI controls on AMP and TV and various settings on the stream to try to pin down the source of the problem. I was also of the opinion that the switch from say PCM to Atmos seems to be too much for the puc itself, and it takes literally 15 seconds or so.

If this is the hardware then it is pretty shocking.

This message was authored by SlenderRobert This message was authored by: SlenderRobert

Yeah, unfortunately it's just the way it is. 

Speed is, for me, the biggest flaw with Stream. I've had it since October last year and despite numerous software updates since then, it's still grindingly slow compared to all my other A/V devices. I have it wired via ethernet to my Linksys router (which receives 500Mbps symmetrical FTTP) and to be fair have never had any blue screens or buffering issues on any live channels. 

The problem I have is that everything takes too long to buffer up to full resolution, even simple HD streams. Some apps like Channel 4 and ITVX can often take upwards of 30 seconds to resolve a stable 1080P stream. The same apps on my TV do it pretty much instantly. 

The sound cutting in and out on ad breaks as it tries to cope with the change from Atmos to PCM is also ridiculous. 

All of these issues, I feel, are down to the fact that all the apps and much of the UI of Stream are hosted on a server, not on the device itself. The added latency is just too much for the pitiful amount of RAM on the puck to cope with. It's having to receive a command via a Bluetooth signal from a remote, convert that into a command sent to the UI on the server via the network connection, which in turn then triggers a stream to be sent back down the network to the puck where it has to be converted into the image and sound you see & hear on your screen. If any other command is received via Bluetooth whilst all this is happening (like turning up the volume) it's immediately having to process this and multitask and everything slows down even further. 

Don't get me wrong, I think Stream is perfectly functional - it does more or less everything I expected it to. It just doesn't do them very well. I only keep it around because I was offered a half price subscription. £22.50pm for Entertainment, Netflix Premium, UHD/Atmos & ad skipping is a fair price, and one I'm happy to pay for the quality of the service at present. If the price goes up from this and tha hardware doesn't improve then I leave. Simple. I won't miss it at all as the puck is barely used by the family at all.  

This message was authored by HINRGBEAR109 This message was authored by: HINRGBEAR109

Hi, i've had the Stream Puck since January and i'm on the latest software, i've been having problems with the sound cutting out on channels and Netflix Premium also has problems.  I have to reboot at least once a day if not more which is annoying and takes the pleasure out of watching tv.  I've fiddled with the settings till i'm blue in the face and even changed the HDMI Cable, with no change.  I have another 9 months till my contract ends and it can't come quick enough, it's the worse thing i ever done was to get one of these devices, if i could send it back then i would in a heartbeat..............it's utter crap. 

gmhaggis
Topic Author
This message was authored by gmhaggis This message was authored by: gmhaggis

@HINRGBEAR109 wrote:

Hi, i've had the Stream Puck since January and i'm on the latest software, i've been having problems with the sound cutting out on channels and Netflix Premium also has problems.  I have to reboot at least once a day if not more which is annoying and takes the pleasure out of watching tv.  I've fiddled with the settings till i'm blue in the face and even changed the HDMI Cable, with no change.  I have another 9 months till my contract ends and it can't come quick enough, it's the worse thing i ever done was to get one of these devices, if i could send it back then i would in a heartbeat..............it's utter crap. 

I know exactly how you feel as I have had this very issue since since I got Sky Stream.  I have been through several phone calls with tech support, involving reboots, reinstalls, reconfiguring my devices  and none resulted in a satisfactory result.  The only solution that did work (the techie had me try this as a test) was to connect the stream box directly to the TV.  I currenytly have all my AV devices connected through an AV receiver and none have any issues.  The repsonse was there must be a compatibility issue and I would need to leave it directly connected.  I put to him (as others have commented here) that this is down to the stream being made from cheap crappy Comcast hardware and it is not able to correctly  handle the HDMI handshake protocalls.  All I got was he couldn't comment!.   

Anyway, leaving the stream directly connected is not really practical for me and I did manage to find a semi-acceptable workaround that doesn't involve a reboot.  While watching TV and the sound cuts out, go directly to settings  and then picture.  My box is supposed to be on UHD/2160 and I would see it has switched to 1080, so switch it back and confirm.  The sound would return.  If still on UHD I would select 1080 and the sound return within a few seconds. Cancel the change and then return to program (now with restored sound).

This brings up another issue I have.  The box will peridocally on its own switch from UHD down to 1080.  One symptom of this is I would notice while browsing through Netflix or Disney+ the higher spec video and audio badges would not be shown in the the content listings.  Switch the picture settings back to UHD and the higher spec formats would be restored.

Like you I am stuck with the stream until end of contract.  I didnt push to return it as I can live with the current workarounds for now, and there aren't really any other alternatives available that provide the same level of content.  Although EE's recent announcement of introducing a similar streaming box also carrying live TV,  could be a game changer.  Looks like they will be using a rebranded Apple TV 4K box., so decent hardware for starters!

Anyway, hope this "rant" helps  🙂

This message was authored by HINRGBEAR109 This message was authored by: HINRGBEAR109

Cheers for the reply.  I can't watch Neflix UHD on the Stream Puck, i have to watch it on my Roku Stick 4K without any issues.  I'm seriously thinking of buying an Apple TV 4K soon, it also gives live tv like Sky Puck but more reliable.  I'm not in the Apple Family as i use Android Devices.  I have no problems when i use Roku Stick 4K when watching other shows on Amazon Prime, Netflix and othe Catchup Channels.  Roll on next July when i can return this piece of garbage.   My Puck is connected to my Denon AVR-X2400.  I tried connecting the Puck to my New TV and the sound isn't as loud when connected directly through the Amp. 

This message was authored by DavSan24 This message was authored by: DavSan24

I just found this thread and thought I'd share my experience.

i just joined sky stream a few weeks ago (first sky service), and I'm disgusted how poor the quality is for both audio and video.

on standard freeview (built in to tv) you only had to turn the tv up to volume level 9 to get a great and loud audio, using the sky puck however, you have to turn the tv all the way up to volume level 50 just to get a normal volume level out of it.

like you, my picture keeps freezing or cutting out too with no audio, only for a few seconds but it's several times a day!

channels that are meant to be "HD" are actually displaying "blocky" like they are in SD. And I ordered the HD package too!

Theres something very wrong with this stream service I don't think it's been ready to launch. The idea is good but the whole stream platform needs a ton of work from my point of view. I'm regretting signing up for this stream service. At least with Sky-Q you have proper quality audio and video, initially I didn't order this because it meant a lot of a work installing the dish etc, plus I was given a 2 month wait for the install so I decided against it.

Im not sure if sky read these message boards but you can't justify the cost of this when customers aren't getting what they are paying for.

Sogning up for sky it claims "get all your favourite freeview channels (plus over 100 channels not on freeview)" - that's false. I'm only getting 102 channels (including) freeview, I've actually counted them, so essentially I'm paying a subscription mostly for already free to air channels!? I'm certainly not getting the tv package I selected, nor the HD package I selected.

i don't want to sound like a buzz kill, im just massively disappointed with this. Sky customer service don't seem to care either that's the most angering part of it all. It feels like they are all nice to you when your signing up but the instant they have your details, your basically on your own?

anyway that's my experience and I've only been with them for a short period. I'm not throwing the book at sky as a whole but they need to either get rid of this puck, rethink the whole streaming platform or find a better quality unit to supply customers with. It's possible it's simply a software glitch or two but it needs addressed sooner rather than later.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion