Discussion topic: Sky told me I could access Sky Stream via a puck without a tv - instead a laptop/other device. True?

This message was authored by FirstTimeSky This message was authored by: FirstTimeSky

Sky told me I could access Sky Stream via a puck without a tv - instead a laptop/other device. True?

I have just received my puck, and since I told the salesperson I don't have a TV and having been assured it was fine I can just watch it on my laptop, I tried to connect it to the router. But there isn't even an ethernet cable provided. If I can connect it to the router can I then watch Sky Stream on my laptop? In that instance, do I have to stick just by the router so that I can connect it via an HDMI? This is not the easy option I was led to believe it was! I thought I'd be able to watch it on my laptop in any room!

All Replies

This message was authored by SKY1992bf This message was authored by: SKY1992bf

Re: Sky told me I could access Sky Stream via a puck without a tv - instead a laptop/other device. T

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@FirstTimeSky  I'm afraid you have been mis sold as you can't connect a puck to a laptop for viewing 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please note: I am just a sky customer not a employee - posts from sky employees are clearly marked as such
my setup: Samsung 5 series 32inc tv | sky +hd box | variety, SKY & TNT sports,sky cinema | Netflix and prime video
Please note: I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
if this post has helped please give it a like ~ if this post has solved your question/query please mark it as the answer in order to help others

If you would like to post a “Send Your Thanks to Sky” message please click Here
This message was authored by mikealanr This message was authored by: mikealanr

Re: Sky told me I could access Sky Stream via a puck without a tv - instead a laptop/other device. T

Hi @FirstTimeSky 

No you need a display for the Puck. I.e. it connects via HDMI. And then connects to the internet via WiFi. You can watch via the Sky Go app on laptops and mobiles, but this requires the whole home subscription which is an additional £12 per month. 

Maybe NowTV would be a better option for you. You will need to call sky (we are all customers here) to reject the puck and cancel your service or acquire a TV.

MikeAlanR

---
65” Sky Glass ocean blue, Sky Live, 4 streaming pucks and EE FTTP Busiest Home (circa 1.6 Gbps download). Former Sky Q, Sky+ HD and Sky+ customer.
FirstTimeSky
Topic Author
This message was authored by FirstTimeSky This message was authored by: FirstTimeSky

Thanks everyone - I will ring Sky tomorrow to ask what on earth this sale was all about... and probably end up cancelling. So boring!

This message was authored by Exiled-in-HH This message was authored by: Exiled-in-HH

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@FirstTimeSky wrote:

I have just received my puck, and since I told the salesperson I don't have a TV and having been assured it was fine I can just watch it on my laptop,

I'd imagine they were referring to using the Sky Go app on the laptop as part of the Sky subscription once Stream was set up.

I tried to connect it to the router. But there isn't even an ethernet cable provided.

Most users will run their Stream puck on WiFi, so shipping an ethernet cable by default would be wasteful 

If I can connect it to the router can I then watch Sky Stream on my laptop?

No: Stream is a hardware/software combination running on the puck

In that instance, do I have to stick just by the router so that I can connect it via an HDMI?

Laptops do not have HDMI input.

This is not the easy option I was led to believe it was! I thought I'd be able to watch it on my laptop in any room!

No: that's simply not possible, and isn't with any other set top box service either 

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion