Discussion topic: Sky stream , honest review

This message was authored by Super+Anthony This message was authored by: Super+Anthony

Re: Sky stream , honest review

@mirrors90 I have to agree. It seems that the puck software is not up to the standard it should and needs to be and Sky clearly need to update it or bring out a new one. There are so many issues at present with it, and not just the pixelations as you can see on other threads.

Lets just hope Sky will fix asap 

mirrors90
Topic Author
This message was authored by mirrors90 This message was authored by: mirrors90

Agreed. Sky will have realised this and probably be working to bring out a new box capable of handling what we want. Sky stream is a great service, the menu is awesome and finding what I want to watch is very easy - I stress that. I'm not criticising the service itself as it's exactly what I want - but damn. I gave up using third party apps and I use my Apple TV now for Netflix and discovery plus for the football - I counted 40 seconds from saying discovery plus to the app being loaded and ready to use 

Sky Stream x 3
This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@mirrors90 wrote:

Agreed. Sky will have realised this and probably be working to bring out a new box capable of handling what we want. Sky stream is a great service, the menu is awesome and finding what I want to watch is very easy - I stress that. I'm not criticising the service itself as it's exactly what I want - but damn. I gave up using third party apps and I use my Apple TV now for Netflix and discovery plus for the football - I counted 40 seconds from saying discovery plus to the app being loaded and ready to use 

The spec of the hardware is outside of Sky's hands.

The hardware used for Sky Stream is a Comcast decision and is standardised across all of Comcast's TV/Cable based subsidaries where they have/are rolling out a streaming based service. I'd certainly be surprised if Comcast were planning on globally updating it, I would have suspected that to occur prior to them rolling it out to more subsidaries.

Sky Stream user. Former Sky+ HD and Sky Broadband customer
Please LIKE any responses you found helpful
Please mark a response as an ANSWER if it has solved your query/issue

NOT a Sky Employee

mirrors90
Topic Author

I mean, let's be fair - they're a business and they're going to get smoked from the competition if they have weak hardware. 

dont forget sky glass flopped hard due to substandard hardware too - so that's two big launches which haven't gone to plan due to substandard hardware - they can't afford both to fail which means revisions will be made 

Sky Stream x 3
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@mirrors90 wrote:

dont forget sky glass flopped hard due to substandard hardware too - so that's two big launches which haven't gone to plan due to substandard hardware

No-one outside limited circles in Sky has any visibility of how well Glass has sold.  That Sky can still offer Glass sets at launch price suggests to me they have actually (and, to be honest, inexplicably) been rather successful. 

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by Super+Anthony This message was authored by: Super+Anthony

@mirrors90 Agree fully. Great product but just needs to work better and be updated

This message was authored by mufngruf This message was authored by: mufngruf

well... here's one thing that I do know about Sky Glass.... I don't know of ANYONE who has one and, given that its basically a free TV, I woulda thought that I'd know a few folks who have taken advantage of it. Just sayin'

This message was authored by dino9898 This message was authored by: dino9898

I have been with stream now around 3 weeks and aside from the odd reboot needed I really like the system. Before i moved house I was on Q which was good as always. I dont really miss it other than the recordings I had saved but I get everything I want on Stream. The interface can be slow and clunky at times and I think thats sub standard hardware as others pointed out here. Hopefull that will improve over time. Dont miss my sky dish.

I do have a firestick which is much slicker and faster than stream and a Roku stick. So got everything I need plus saving a lot of money since switching from Sky Q to Stream. Its a product I think Sky will really develop over the coming few years as Q dies a slow death over the next few year.

This message was authored by dino9898 This message was authored by: dino9898

@mufngrufIm not sure what you mean about Sky Glass being a "Free TV" its not you actually pay way over the market price for a very outdated piece of kit. Its just you pay in installments but the price of the Unit is very over inflated. Not free.

This message was authored by Mister_Dalek This message was authored by: Mister_Dalek

@mufngruf wrote:

well... here's one thing that I do know about Sky Glass.... I don't know of ANYONE who has one and, given that its basically a free TV, I woulda thought that I'd know a few folks who have taken advantage of it. Just sayin'

It's far, far from being a 'free' TV. It's one of the most over-priced TVs on the market today. You have to pay for it in full up-front or in low cost monthly installments over several years, but you have to pay for the hardware, on top of the streaming TV subscription. The 55" model is currently £949. This is for a TV which hasn't had any hardware updates since 2021. 

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@mufngruf wrote:

given that its basically a free TV

• The 43" Sky Glass TV is priced at £699 outright, £14 per month (with a £20 upfront fee) on a 48-month contract, or £28 per month (with a £20 upfront fee) on a 24-month contract.

• The 55" set is priced at £949 upfront, £19 per month (with a £20 upfront fee) on a 48-month contract, or £38 per month (with a £20 upfront fee) on a 24-month contract.

• The 65" set costs £1,199 upfront, £24 per month (with a £20 upfront fee) on a 48-month contract, or £48 per month (with a £20 upfront fee) on a 24-month contract.

Sky Entertainment & Netflix Standard with Ads  forms the base Sky TV package. It's usually priced at £28/month over a 24-month term, but new Sky Glass customers can get the first three months for free.

Those looking for a shorter-term, 31-day rolling agreement will pay slightly more. Usually priced at £31/month, new customers choosing this type of programme package can also get the first three months for free.

https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/a37934297/sky-glass-tv-price-packages-cost-multiroom/ 

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by DazLad1 This message was authored by: DazLad1

@mirrors90  "Sky stream is a great service, the menu is awesome and finding what I want to watch is very easy".

IMHO, Sky stream is absolute garbage - it's annoying, with the menu changing whenever it wants to put advertis in....it's slow, clunky and continually just hangs-up...meaning you have to switch everything off and on again!

I know it's subjective but reading through some replies on here; I'm not the only one who hates Sky Stream.

mirrors90
Topic Author

@DazLad1 that was my summary at the end, the service has great potential but the clunky slow loading  of it really lets it down. It needs an urgent hardware revision with a processor that can handle what sky want to accomplish. 

Sky Stream x 3
This message was authored by Fothergill1 This message was authored by: Fothergill1

@mufngruf wrote:

@mufngruf  Hardly a free TV, they are grossly overprice with a 65 inch Glass being nearly £1200 😫.   Like you I don't know many people with Glass probably due to the cost.  Most that I know are like me and have the Stream puck.

EDIT - Apologies, I should have contiunued reading the thread as I see numberous posts saying basically the same thing.

------------------------------------------
If my post has solved your issue please mark as an "Answer"
If it has helped please give it a "Like"
This message was authored by Jporch316 This message was authored by: Jporch316

@Fothergill1 wrote:

@mufngruf wrote:

@mufngruf  Hardly a free TV, they are grossly overprice with a 65 inch Glass being nearly £1200 😫.   Like you I don't know many people with Glass probably due to the cost.  Most that I know are like me and have the Stream puck.

EDIT - Apologies, I should have contiunued reading the thread as I see numberous posts saying basically the same thing.

@Fothergill1  I have two glasses ........

——————————————————————————
43inch and 55 inch Sky Glass & 3 Pucks on virgin media M350 hub 5x. 4 x sky mobile sims. Pretend guitar aficionado .. rock on!

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion