Discussion topic: Sky stream , honest review

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: Sky stream , honest review

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Mitch16 wrote:

. My biggest gripe with them is the "flagship" Sky Signature which you have to tag everything else on to. 

Sky has always required the baseline subscription to be in place before any add-ons are possible, back to the earliest days of the satellite platform.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Stephen+Mourton wrote:

I don't have Stream, but my understanding is you don't need to record anything because it is permanently there! 

Sky specifies retention time on Stream as 'up to' a year: as @MarkGoldsmith indicates it could be considerably shorter.

This message was authored by Mitch16 This message was authored by: Mitch16

Yes, I know. Not sure what you're point is? 

This message was authored by Jporch316 This message was authored by: Jporch316

@Mitch16 wrote:

Good luck with that.

Not sure if your reply was meant for me .... but if it was it's absolutely straightforward..... I've done it myself 

——————————————————————————
43inch and 55 inch Sky Glass & 3 Pucks on virgin media M350 hub 5x. 4 x sky mobile sims. Pretend guitar aficionado .. rock on!
This message was authored by Jporch316 This message was authored by: Jporch316

@Mitch16 wrote:

Yes, I know. Not sure what you're point is? 

The point was your gripe about the subscription tiers has been skys business model for 20 plus years 

——————————————————————————
43inch and 55 inch Sky Glass & 3 Pucks on virgin media M350 hub 5x. 4 x sky mobile sims. Pretend guitar aficionado .. rock on!

Sorry, someone said that Sky have always had their compulsory channel. My answer was I do know that but most people wouldn't bother with it otherwise. It's just a gateway to the sport basically.

This message was authored by Moggey This message was authored by: Moggey

Not permanently , depends on how long certain channels keep stuff in the cloud .

I like to record and keep sets from Glastonbury but BBC only keep them in cloud for short time .

I know it has. What has that got to do with it? It's always been crap, but you have to have it to get to the sport or the movies. 

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@Mitch16 oddly Sky/Comcast are in business to make a profit not to give customers the lowest possible prices. They judge that by bundling channels they are likely to maximise the amount customers will pay and accept a level of churn which this causes but with something around 11m accounts it seems to work.

.They market the Now TV platform which offers greater flexibility and shorter contacts to attract other customers.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode

Oh there's no doubting it works, although subscribers are dropping. Make the product they really want subject to them also paying for some crap they don't. Genius. Not for me though. I'm not paying for something I don't want, I'd rather go without. 

This message was authored by Clive88 This message was authored by: Clive88

Here's my comments as a new user 

1.   The Home screen is far too messy and full of distractions.  When I switch on I just want at the top of the screen a simple choice of my selections or live TV. 

I don't want to have to wade through all the big video adverts for films and series. They should be optional, or move down to the bottom.

2.  If I switch off for a few minutes I don't want to come back and find I've got to hit the Home button and wait for the Puck to wake up again. The power taken by the thing is trivial, especially compared to a TV recorder. Yes I know there are regulations to save energy, but applying this to the Puck is rather silly. 

Like I said I'm a new user, so if I've been missing something here please let me know. 

@Mitch16 wrote:

I know it has. What has that got to do with it? It's always been crap, but you have to have it to get to the sport or the movies. 

Because most companies simply cannot afford to give up a fundamental and deeply entrenched element of their business model without either massively restructuring or going bust.  Cinema or Sports without the minimum channel bundle isn't financially viable.

Just offer each as a stand alone service and price accordingly. 

This message was authored by Mister_Dalek This message was authored by: Mister_Dalek

@Mitch16 wrote:

Just offer each as a stand alone service and price accordingly. 

That's what NOW TV is. 

They're currently testing Sky Sports in UHD on NOW for the first time, rumoured to launch with the Sky Sports+ app next month. 

If this is true then it will allow customers to only subscribe to Sky Sports and get it in UHD (maybe HDR too!) without the need for Signature, Entertainment, Ultimate TV or any of the other base package, and without the need for any Sky hardware. 

Great news. 👍 Thanks for the info.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion