Discussion topic: Sky glass puck losing connection using home plugs

This message was authored by Minkeymonkeys This message was authored by: Minkeymonkeys

Sky glass puck losing connection using home plugs

My puck is connected to my internet via home plugs and ethernet cables. When I'm watching anything on sky itself it's constantly losing connection and I have to reset the connection every time to get it working. Sometimes it doesn't work again so I have to unplug the power and plug it back in to get it working. Apps like discovery+, paramount and YouTube don't have this issue at all

All Replies

This message was authored by Padam_Padam This message was authored by: Padam_Padam

Re: Sky glass puck losing connection using home plugs

@Minkeymonkeys 

What speed is being received by the puck? To find out, open the Netflix app, navigate to the get help menu and run a network check. Do this a few times and compare the speed. 

Sky's own live channel streams take up more bandwidth than the third party apps like Discovery+ and Paramount+ and are more susceptible to issues of the speed is interrupted. 

Homeplugs use your existing power cables to pass the broadband signal from your router to your puck - it may be that there is some electrical interference which is affecting the bandwidth. 

One other thing to check is that you have WiFi turned off on the puck's network settings. Sometimes it can randomly switch itself back on and will stupidly prioritise it over the ethernet connection. 

This message was authored by Dazzar51 This message was authored by: Dazzar51

I used power lines as well and they just do not work with sky glass, I have 900 down and 300 up .

Sky Glass 55 and x3 Pucks and become very irritated by sky glass
Download 900 upload 300 so don’t blame my internet .
This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Speed to the router is irrelevant @Dazzar51 its the bandwidth and regularity of the signal at the puck thst matters. Powerline is quite unpredictable and is subject to issues with electrical interference which is why Sky say they dont recommend its use but in my home it has worked well with the newer type of adapters which use all 3 conductors. They seem to be better at not having issues when large appliances switch on or off.. 

Plan to get around 20 to 30% of the rated speed of the adapters and always use wall sockets not trailing adapters for the powerline units.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
Minkeymonkeys
Topic Author
This message was authored by Minkeymonkeys This message was authored by: Minkeymonkeys

Did the network checks on the puck, three different ones, all in the high 280's, the home plugs I'm using are rated at 300mbps so they're performing ok I'd assume. Have WiFi switched off on the puck also and when I lose connection and go to network settings to reset it always says WiFi is still off so again I'd assume it's not switching to WiFi connection randomly either 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion