Discussion topic: Sky Stream - my worst decision in decades

This message was authored by Bigal66 This message was authored by: Bigal66

Re: Sky Stream - my worst decision in decades

Ok so I disconnected the Ethernet cable and tried the WiFi .. first with the wps button on the sky router and then just via WiFi connection. Funny thing is the Netflix connection tester was only showing 27 mbps both ways but when I tried an app on the fire stick I was getting the full 79mbps .. reconnected the cable and now showing the full 70 mbps but still getting the same problems 🤔🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

This message was authored by Bordonbert This message was authored by: Bordonbert

Ok, I have a little info for those who are genuinely interested in this problem.  On my Dropbox page I have 2 short vids, (less than 10secs each).  One is of the puck when first booted up from scratch and the second is from a few hours later after using the channel listing and programme selection screens a number of times.

I simply accessed the list and scanned down it using the "hold for a second for page down" function.  The difference is absolutely clear to see.  In the After Use vid I actually got it wrong for the first couple of pushes because the receiving system had slowed down too and it didn't seem to accept the same timing.  I had to hold the button down longer to get it to work.  You can see it only goes down a single channel.  But remember, each step until it comes to a halt is the same single button push.  The system is physically tying itself up or is running out of resources to the point where even the simplest function is grinding to a halt.

If my puck is left in this state it will soon grind to a halt and lock up or even spontaneously restart.  Even the restart brings it back to the same state.  To get rid of this issue it is necessary to unplug the power and perform a totally cold boot, using the power on/off button on the remote only sends it into a sleep state and it is the same when woken.

(Removed)

Is this anything other than a software problem?  Is it somehow my system?  Is it me doing something stooopid?  It works fine at startup so it isn't a hardware issue per se (or user).  It then becomes more and more choked up during use.  The programming is flawed, faulty and unfit for purpose.  It needs fixed.

And this doesn't begin to explain the mystery of the inaccessible Favourites list!  They really should programme in a screen which starts with:

"before you can access for free,

your favourites you must answer me,

all correct these riddles three!"

😁

Moderator note: Removed third party links

[Just ask! A moment of embarrassment is better than a lifetime of ignorance.]
This message was authored by Fothergill1 This message was authored by: Fothergill1

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Bordonbert The difference between the two video clips is quite dramatic. I don't know what to suggest that has already not been covered earlier in the thread.  I suggest you need to call Sky for some troubleshooting. If you would prefer an online chat let me know and I can escalate your post for you.

------------------------------------------
If my post has solved your issue please mark as an "Answer"
If it has helped please give it a "Like"
This message was authored by Bordonbert This message was authored by: Bordonbert

Don't worry Fothergill, things are sorting themselves out soon.  Thanks to another thread here I now know when my "offer" runs out and steps will be in place.

I only posted this as there is so much talk in the manner of "What problem?  I see no problem.  There is no problem, it's all in your mind!" floating around.  Those who, like me, hate this system because of genuine complaints are not just morons, or naturally dissatisfied people, or Sky haters.  We are people with genuine problems and a genuine grievance with the way those problems are being viewed.  I will not accept being told I or others are idiots simply because "I don't have that problem".  Show me the proof that it is me!  And for the record, I have argued in the past in favour of Sky's case regarding other issues, and advising patience while they addressed them.  (Remember the hardware issues we used to have in our remote handsets?)

At least this side of the software issue is now made clear to all who have the wit to look.  And, as always, if I am wrong about this then explain how to me and I will happily admit my fault knowing that I have the solution.

This message was authored by Bigal66 This message was authored by: Bigal66

Well said ..too many zoomers saying " ah but my sky is flawless" 🙌

This message was authored by Floydianslip This message was authored by: Floydianslip

@Bigal66 and mine is.......you'll have to take my word on that too.

I'll take your word for it any day Floydianship, but I won't accept **bleep** as a relevant point in this discussion.  (EDIT:  My apologies but I have no idea why "BLEEP" has been entered.  I used no bad language of any sort.  As far as I can remember it was just "it", certainly not with more letters at the front.).  It simply isn't!  I've no problem with your setup being fine and I'm pretty sure most would feel the same for you.  I'm genuinely happy you don't feel you have any issues to complain about.  Just don't tell us that we have to feel the same as you because I can show, and have just shown, that I have a real world fault with mine.  Have you looked at my two little clips of the fault occurring?  [See post 77 above in this thread for links.]  You can clearly see it isn't a non-issue, or a different expectation, or something that would be unique within my home system, (and then in true Sky community fashion, unique to the next complainer, and also unique to the next, and...).

Perhaps you simply don't use the listings management aspect of your puck software as often as I do or to the same depth.  Perhaps you turn it off more than I do when not in use which resets this problem.  Who knows?  The point is that I can demonstrate to you that these errors, faults, flaws, ARE in the software/hardware setup of the puck.  We are each paying for a usable system.  That is, usable for ALL customers who pay the same for the same service not just the lucky portion and the rest can stump up to fund the lucky ones' happiness.  It's flawed for many of us.  Badly!  We should have it fixed or be refunded.

I just can't understand the attitude of people who will say "What do you mean there are reports of many people crashing their Penisero because the brakes have faults in their design?  Well I haven't crashed my car yet so you must be imagining it and please shut up complaining about it."  We are reporting about real things we are experiencing.  Question that, ask us to show evidence by all means, that makes sense and should filter out the fatuous complaints, but deny it just because you don't see it?  I've never seen a real live volcano with bubbling lava in its crater.  But I don't doubt they exist simply because I haven't seen one.

10 weeks and counting!

This message was authored by DC110770 This message was authored by: DC110770

Classic Sky. The product is poor, the service is worse and now I've got a monthly increase of£5.00! 

When will we learn?!

This message was authored by Suskha This message was authored by: Suskha

@Floydianslip wrote:

@Bigal66 and mine is.......you'll have to take my word on that too.

Mine is not perfect but I havent experienced this issue. However @Bordonbert seems to have an issue with people "polluting" his rants with positivity and balance - its here plain to see yet again 😂

Not at all friend Sushka.  The only "pollution" is of information which is absolutely irrelevant to the discussion.  And posting in a whining tone "well mine is fine" has absolutely and completely no value at all.  It adds nothing in any way, not even "balance" which is best served with a different thread about how Sky makes every day like life on the big rock candy mountain.  It's on a par with the wonderfully small minded little man who pops up and says so nasally, "you don't want to do that, you want to do this!" to everyone doing anything.  You are really beyond help if you can't see that the concept of  "...just for balance!" is a totally out of place and unnecessary feature in the light of a discussion about already established, well reported, factual, plainly demonstrated and commonly experienced faults.  It's like going onto a medical site where people are discussing a serious condition they all suffer from and posting "well, I don't know what you people are moaning about, I don't have that at all".

And your boundless puppy like "positivity" in the face of something so badly designed and implemented is a credit to you.  Yes, we should all take a lesson from you and add to our posts things like, "...but my runner beans are doing SO well this year", in the interest of positivity.  Wouldn't you agree?  (It's positive to agree. ;^) )  No, wait a minute what am I saying?  Do you think it could sometimes just be a case of "I'm dumb enough to settle for anything as long as it has lashings of reality TV and exploding cars in it".

This is a thread that was started specifically to discuss established problems so those experiencing them did not feel alone and question their sanity.  It is not active to hear "only good things" about the vast majority of people who are not dissatisfied in any way.  Some, like me, have tried to moan about only REAL things by showing them to be REAL with evidence that anyone can take in.  (Bet you didn't look at the two vids I posted recently which clearly show the ridiculous slowing down of the system after a few hours of running?)  I am not aware of having moaned about "this feature isn't set up the way I would like it."  I abhor the puss-poor implementation of Sky's "vision" and the "couldn't care less" attitude they display about putting things right for those people who have already committed to them financially and who now have no other option but to put up with a demonstrably dreadful product, (in our experience not our opinion and there is a world of difference).

These issues are not individual and unique to any of us, nor are they a figment of our imagination.  That much is now established fact.  I for one have been careful not to moan about anything I can't substantiate with cold hard facts and I am happy to demonstrate them to anyone who wishes to check the truth of what I say, as I already have.  Yet the golden ones like yourself keep on insisting that we should all acknowledge that you who are blind to the problems are the blessed who have inherited the kingdom of the Sky, no doubt for good works elsewhere in your lives.  I really must have been a bad person in a previous life to have been guided down this path.

Now you, in your spirit of positivity and optimism, have the choice of hearing this as me having another "RANT!", or you can choose to hear me simply poking fun at your stance with a smile on my face and my tongue in my cheek.  It's up to you.  Do you know what the title "**bleep**" means?

EDIT:  For the record that bleeped out word which now seems so ominous thanks to Sky was simply similar to "cookwimple"!

This message was authored by peter-marlow+1966 This message was authored by: peter-marlow+1966

I have had  sky glass and puck since  it first  came  out  and have had no problems  with  it  at all, very happy  with it and the camera  aswell 

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Bordonbert 

My observation would be that people tend to post that they aren't having problems in response to posts which appear to imply that all installations must be problematic because of some generic fault...

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by Fothergill1 This message was authored by: Fothergill1

@peter-marlow+1966 My experience has been similar to yours but I do appreciate that many people have issues which is why they come on the forum seeking solutions and advice.  TBH it was due to problems with Sky Q that I first joined the forum.  I certainly wouldn't go as far as saying I don't get issues but the ones I do encounter are luckily relatively minor.  I can live with the occasional reboot just like I did with Sky Q.

To everyone having any issues please persevere as Streaming is great when you get it stable.

------------------------------------------
If my post has solved your issue please mark as an "Answer"
If it has helped please give it a "Like"
This message was authored by Jason+Golding This message was authored by: Jason+Golding

My experience with sky stream has been brilliant. End

Sky Stream x 2
LG C2 OLED 55inch
Sonos Playbar
Virgin 1 Gig
Virgin Stream Box
Xbox X
Apple TV 4K
Amazon 4K Firestick
This message was authored by Laing1 This message was authored by: Laing1

can I just point out  that the first rule of the forum is to be nice to each other and if that rule is not observed then the thread will more than likely be locked by a Sky cm

I may be a Sky Superuser but I am still just a Sky customer

Sky Q 2 TB (Silver)Box, 2 Mini boxes since June 2016, all connected by wifi
Sky Broadband Hub/SR203, Sky Ultrafast broadband
Ultimate on Demand, Q Experience/UHD, Sky Sports, Sky Cinema
LG 49SJ 810 V UHD TV, Google Pixel 7 Pro mobile

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion