Discussion topic: Sky Stream - Turn off HDR?

This message was authored by Daymo This message was authored by: Daymo

Re: Sky Stream - Turn off HDR?

@Anonymous @Jason+Golding @@In terms of pic quality on stream, I can't fault it. In fact I find it does a better job than our Apple TV 4K a nicer picture and clarity. Audio is a little lower but could be due to the arc output being used to supply the streams audio

This message was authored by Jason+Golding This message was authored by: Jason+Golding

Sky Stream for tv picture with the right tv is best in class 

Sky Stream x 2
LG C2 OLED 55inch
Sonos Playbar
Virgin 1 Gig
Virgin Stream Box
Xbox X
Apple TV 4K
Amazon 4K Firestick
Topic Author
This message was authored by Anonymous This message was authored by: Anonymous

See my thread here for what I refer to with compression issues on Stream, unrelated to HDR:

https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Glass-Stream-Live/Apple-TV-Picture-Quality-Issues-on-Sky-Stream/m-p/437...

This is across Stream not just ATV

This message was authored by Jason+Golding This message was authored by: Jason+Golding

@Anonymous  I disagree. I have no compression issues on live broadcasts with sky stream. I can't comment on the Apple TV app - I don't use it. 

Sky Stream x 2
LG C2 OLED 55inch
Sonos Playbar
Virgin 1 Gig
Virgin Stream Box
Xbox X
Apple TV 4K
Amazon 4K Firestick

@Jason+Golding @I think what @Anonymous is getting at is Apple TV 4K seems to handle third party apps a lot better than the puck does overall and at a full rate of quality. Myself I haven't noticed any live streaming issues but have noticed some difference in terms of third party apps usage, not sky itself 

Topic Author
This message was authored by Anonymous This message was authored by: Anonymous

@Jason+Golding I can't comment on live broadcast because I don't watch anything outside sports live, but I've seen the same effect with on demand Sky exclusive shows and movies, maybe it's just my puck

do you have compression issues when watching live sport ?

Sky Stream x 2
LG C2 OLED 55inch
Sonos Playbar
Virgin 1 Gig
Virgin Stream Box
Xbox X
Apple TV 4K
Amazon 4K Firestick

Live sports are brilliant for me even on non UHD can't fault it. 

This message was authored by SlenderRobert This message was authored by: SlenderRobert

@Daymo wrote:

@Anonymous @Jason+Golding @@In terms of pic quality on stream, I can't fault it. In fact I find it does a better job than our Apple TV 4K a nicer picture and clarity. Audio is a little lower but could be due to the arc output being used to supply the streams audio

I find the opposite. Apple TV 4K produces noticeably superior images at the correct frame rate on Netflix, Prime Video, Disney+, and Apple TV+ which we watch regularly. Stream is fine for live TV channels in HD when set to output the native 1080i but does add slight posterisation to HD when outputting at 2160P. 
I find the Stream puck just far too slow, glitchy and cumbersome compared to the ATV box. I even just signed up to a cheap 3 months of NOW & Boost to avoid having to use the puck for watching some shows. They look identical, if not better on the ATV box and have no ads. 
Stream is basically only really essential for sports fans as it's the only place to get UHD HDR sports. Thankfully I have no interest in such things. 

I find the audio exp alone better wirh Apple TV 4K. I have TNT sports with discovery premium and other means (virgin media) for live channels without UHD but this can't be used wirh Apple TV as you're aware but agreed settings to 4k SD wirh frame matching and dynamic range on ATV is a lot better picture compared especially as you say when using UHD via stream as it tries to upscale. 

UHD films on sky cinema with Dolby Atmos on sky stream is far superior to watching them via Now Tv. I have tried both.  You are also paying for convenience and a live EPG. 

Sky Stream x 2
LG C2 OLED 55inch
Sonos Playbar
Virgin 1 Gig
Virgin Stream Box
Xbox X
Apple TV 4K
Amazon 4K Firestick

Yes agreed.  No UHD on now tv at all and no atmos support. I can't fault the stream for that anything sky related is perfect. It's the third party apps that need some work 

I think you're spot on there @Daymo.  an example of the third party apps needing improvement is Discovery + (TNT sports ) not available. All of the third party apps do appear to have been rushed or not executed properly. The Apps on LG tv and Apple box are better.  Don't forget though that the vast majority of subscribers don't notice, it's only us techofiles

Sky Stream x 2
LG C2 OLED 55inch
Sonos Playbar
Virgin 1 Gig
Virgin Stream Box
Xbox X
Apple TV 4K
Amazon 4K Firestick
This message was authored by Andy+S This message was authored by: Andy+S

I am a new user to sky stream - the HDR UHD Sport channel works great on my LG Oled - However on my Samsung QLED the UHD picture is dull and will get a better picture on the HD channel. It is a top of the range TV and only a couple years old. It is generally very bright for HDR content. I find it frustrating - either an option to turn off HDR on the stream box  or a fix to the problem would be welcome. It seems a common problem particularly on Samsung TVs.

@Andy+S The NITS level on your Samsung is unlikely to be high enough. NITs is the measurement used for screen brightness. A part from getting a new tv, there isn't much you can do. HDR UHD works fine on the OLED LG because it has a high quality panel - and a high enough NITs level. Google NITS level HLG UHD HDR darkness 

Sky Stream x 2
LG C2 OLED 55inch
Sonos Playbar
Virgin 1 Gig
Virgin Stream Box
Xbox X
Apple TV 4K
Amazon 4K Firestick

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion