Discussion topic: Puk noise

This message was authored by Fremento This message was authored by: Fremento

Puk noise

I'm a new Sky user and have sky stream with puk. The puk is making a whirring noise which is significantly noticeable when I turn the tv volume down. The puk is also slow to respond to the remote. Could it be faulty? 

Best Answers
This message was authored by Skull+Treaty This message was authored by: Skull+Treaty Answer

Re: Puk noise

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@lettice wrote:

We have had similar on here with Puk making odd noises.

It is usually related to the speakers that the Puk is connected to, whether that is TV speakers or a soundbar.

Try changing the audio settings to another audio option and see if it resolves it.

you can do that in the Puk settings here;

Settings>Picture and sound>Sound

Select Digital audio output HDMI and change to another sound option there.

There is an older thread and some users have managed to stop the noise, as you mentioned @lettice  by changing some audio related settings - here 

"Sometimes, the only choices you have are bad ones, but you still have to choose"

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1

@Fremento  As there are no moving parts in the puck it's not possible for it to make such a sound.

Are you sure it's a Stream puck?

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

Fremento
Topic Author

Yes definitely stream puk. Other family who already have sky have also noticed the noise and commented. We all think it's the puk. 

@Fremento  As advised there are no moving parts in it, no fan, no hard drive.

It's impossible for it to be making any whirring sound.

Does this sound stop if you remove the power cable? If not the it's another device doing this.

Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

This message was authored by Exiled-in-HH This message was authored by: Exiled-in-HH

Report the issue to Sky and request a replacement Puck😉

Exiled in HH
This message was authored by lettice This message was authored by: lettice

It is usually related to the speakers that the Puk is connected to, whether that is TV speakers or a soundbar.

Try changing the audio settings to another audio option and see if it resolves it.

- - - - - - - -
Sky Community Superuser. What is a Superuser? Click here to find out
Sky Stream (2 pucks), Sky Ultrafast + using Sky SR203 hub. Sky Protect kit tester.
This message was authored by Skull+Treaty This message was authored by: Skull+Treaty Answer

@lettice wrote:

There is an older thread and some users have managed to stop the noise, as you mentioned @lettice  by changing some audio related settings - here 

"Sometimes, the only choices you have are bad ones, but you still have to choose"
Fremento
Topic Author

Thank you @Skull+Treaty it's seems to have worked 👍

This message was authored by Mister_Dalek This message was authored by: Mister_Dalek

@Fremento wrote:

Thank you @Skull+Treaty it's seems to have worked 👍

You should still get the puck replaced. A Stream puck should be silent. 
Any internally produced noise is a symptom of poor manufacture. The pucks are mass-produced and build quality can vary. Get Sky to replace it. 

This message was authored by DantheSwan This message was authored by: DantheSwan

@GD1 Why are you telling this person false information?

A simple forum search will show many many people have had this exact situation happen to them including myself 

It IS possible for the puck to make such a noise, mine did it , so did about 20 others who've posted on these very forums

My fix was to buy a newer HD lead as I pay for UHD and Atmos so changing a setting to PCM was not an option

These forums should enable users to flag false information from other users! 

@DantheSwan  The puck can make a buzzing/humming noise as per the other thread, but not a whirring nouse as whirring suggests a moving part such as fan or hard drive so the info posted is valid.  

If the poster said buzzing or humming sound then yes the puck can make these noises.    There is a big diffeence in noises and the types of noise.  

PS there is  areport post optuion on every post if you feel info is incorrect use the function to report a post.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion