Discussion topic: Power on Stream with puck out of sight

This message was authored by dejr This message was authored by: dejr

Power on Stream with puck out of sight

Hi, I've recently switched from Sky Q to Stream but am having an issue with powering on the pucks when they are not in line of sight of the remote.

I have 5 of the pucks and each of them are either fitted behind the TV or in a cupboard, so out of range of IR.  As they are Bluetooth I figured this wouldn't be an issue (as it wasn't for Sky Q), however I just can't get the boxes to turn on from being in standby.

I've tried re-pairing the remote which it does no problem and voice control is working so I understand that means Bluetooth is functioning. Also once the box is on, all others functions work as expected from the remote without the box in line of sight - it's just not switching on using Bluetooth. I have to go behind the TV or open the cupboard to turn the box on each time with the remote pointing directly at it!

If anyone has any thoughts on how I might fix this I'd be most grateful!

All Replies

This message was authored by Tim+Adams This message was authored by: Tim+Adams

Re: Power on Stream with puck out of sight

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Hi @dejr 

Try pressing Home instead of power and see if that helps.

Thanks,

Tim

Sky Glass with Sky Live, Sky Stream & Sky Protect - FTTP 2Gbps
dejr
Topic Author

Thanks @Tim+Adams Sorry I forgot to mention that I tried that as well but no joy 

This message was authored by bob1234 This message was authored by: bob1234

The problem I found with hidden pucks is that they worked but the TV was very slow to burst into life and I found I was pressing the on/off button again which turned it off.

No easy solution apart from patience as I can't see the little white light to see if the box has turned on or not.

dejr
Topic Author

Good point @bob1234 , I too thought it was maybe a timing thing but I've waited for minutes and the power light just won't turn on until I point the remote directly at it. So annoying!

This message was authored by Barettie This message was authored by: Barettie

I'm having the exact same problem. If I climb above the TV and point the remote; it turns on. But it won't work when not in 'line of sight'. Once the puck is on, then the remote works well when out of line of sight. 

Can anyone help? 

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@dejr & @Barettie the suggestion to use the Home button is a good one because the power button is a toggle first press is on, second off and if you are impatient its very easy to switch the unit back into standby. The command from the remote is sent by bluetooth if the remote is properly paired (voice command works) so doesnt require line of sight but TVs contain metal which can block both bluetooth and 

wifi signals. 

To speed up start up go into Start Up and Standby in settings and turn on Network Standby mode as delays can happen while the unit gets connected to your router and if you want turn off overnight power saving if you watch in the early hours. 

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by AGWTech This message was authored by: AGWTech

From the testing I have done the Sky Puck box only seems to respond to IR for the initial power on request after the box has gone to sleep, the box then switches to bluetooth once the box has booted. I'm guessing this is to save power in standby, but seems a bit rubbish to me if youwant to hide the Puck.

I've ended up using IR extenders to get the initial power up to work with the Puck behnd the TV. 😞

This message was authored by Barettie This message was authored by: Barettie

Thank you. Some cracking suggestions. But sadly I still can't turn the box on initially, without pointing directly at it, even after adapting the standby mode setting. 

Sky will need to go back; very disappointed 

This message was authored by bob1234 This message was authored by: bob1234

@BarettieIf as stated it needs IR initially a small and discreet IR extender would solve your problem.
Amazon etc have them from £6, if you get a usb powered one you can probably take the power from a socket on the back of your TV.

dejr
Topic Author

Thanks @Chrisee 

Unfortunately the Home button doesn't wake it either, nor does any amount of waiting until pointing the remote directly at the box

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@dejr works on all of my Stream boxes and Glass TV but I have set them all to remain networked in standby and  not to go into power saving overnight - both settings in Start Up and Standby.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
dejr
Topic Author

@Chrisee  Just double-checked and I have the same settings selected on mine. Home button won't do a thing to wake them (white light on the front off). Same for all five boxes. It's odd and backwards compared to Sky Q functionality.

I'll have to go the IR extender route I guess as committed to this kit now!

This message was authored by Brule This message was authored by: Brule

No it just confuses things even more

This message was authored by Brule This message was authored by: Brule

Complete interchange of nonesense which doesnt help the user in the slightest

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion