Discussion topic: Pixelating Video

This message was authored by Ashs85 This message was authored by: Ashs85

Pixelating Video

Have been using sky stream for nearly a year. This weekend the picture keeps pixelating on all channels. It pauses, pixelates, the picture then becomes 4 squares with lots of vivid colours (greens and purples). Eventually the picture just blacks out completely with no sound and the it looks like it's turned itself off. I've reset the device with power button held in whilst switching the power on and gone through the setup process. Have done this multiple times. It fixes the issue and then a day later it starts doing it again. There is nothing wrong with the internet, this is 100% device. Anyone have any ideas how to fix or how to get a new puck please.

All Replies

Ashs85
Topic Author

Re: Pixelating Video

IMG_2878-min.png

IMG_2877.png

Does this roughly every minute and it lasts about 10 seconds.

This message was authored by ThePhantomSignal This message was authored by: ThePhantomSignal

The random pixelating /aretfacts are happening with my 2 Pucks as well.

Both pucks are Hardwired but I'm also using a Leased Line with BT, so let's to say my internet is very reliable.

My Pucks never fully lose the picture but they do randomly pixelate for a couple seconds. This looks to be an issue on Sky's end, as many people have recently reported this issue since August.

I'm paying £72.00 /Month with discounts to Sky for everything, except for TNT Sports and Sky Kids. That price would be fine, if the service was reliable but it's simply way to unstable.

Ashs85
Topic Author

@ThePhantomSignal Glad to hear it's not just me. I moved house last weekend and it's got a bit better but still happens. No longer have direct broadband connection as sky can't install for another 2 weeks so have been running on a wireless Three mobile router. Now it only happens roughly every 3 days before requiring a reset. If the internet is good which I don't doubt then the only thing that changed for me was having it unplugged for a whole day during the move. I've ruled out DNS and service provider as it still happens, just not as frequently as it did before. Your also paying a lot less than I am for the same services (All sky channels including sports & movies, excluding tnt sports, circa £100 p/m), but I completely agree with the sentiments. Its unacceptable to have these problems given the money we pay. Would be nice to get a response from @sky technical support regarding this issue.

This message was authored by Mister_Dalek This message was authored by: Mister_Dalek

It's potentially a problem with the speed of Sky's live content encoders. All broadcast feeds from various broadcasters need to pass through an encoding pipeline before being output as a 'live' stream for customers to connect to. 

Higher bandwidth UHD content needs to pass an awful lot more data through that pipeline at speed, and if the encoding process is slowed for whatever reason, be it a busy server, a cache clearance error, or a broadcast glitch, it can create the pixellation you see here. 

Not a lot anyone can do about it though. Just need to hope Sky are keeping an eye on it and it gets better, not worse. 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion