Discussion topic: No subtitles on Playlist or Watch from Start

This message was authored by TotalTOPS This message was authored by: TotalTOPS

No subtitles on Playlist or Watch from Start

This happens on the Alibi channel for certain and perhaps is a more widespread problem.

If I watch a programme on the Alibi channel "Live" then I can get subtitles.

However if I switch in part way through and select the "watch from start" option then subtitles are not available.

This also seems to be true if you watch such a programme from the Playlist (e.g. laast week's episode)

I am not convinced this is a purely Stream issue as using a Sky+ box and using the Catch-up or Planner feature had a similar issue, so it is possible down to the way the programmes are "stored" for after the event streaming

All Replies

This message was authored by Exiled-in-HH This message was authored by: Exiled-in-HH

Re: No subtitles on Playlist or Watch from Start

I can't find any Alibi on-demand with subtitles on NOWTV🙁

Exiled in HH
This message was authored by NandH This message was authored by: NandH

I'm having this problem too. On demand, catch up, often don't have subtitles. I'm not at all convinced by '3rd party restrictions' explanations. Sky is always trumpeting their wonderful advances in technology/functionality and yet we are left out in the cold. . It's been a problem for a long time and the lack of response and action feels discriminatory to me. 

TotalTOPS
Topic Author
This message was authored by TotalTOPS This message was authored by: TotalTOPS

The following appears on the UKTV Play website - dated February 2020

Due to technical restrictions it isn't straightforward to add subtitles onto our shows when they appear on third-party platforms (such as Sky and Virgin). We are working with our providers to find the best solution - and we are aware that there's still more work for us to do to improve accessibility via on-demand.

But 4 years on they have not solved the issue. I have asked UKTV Play for a status update on this issue but not received a reply

I have, however, discovered a bonus. If you select an Episode of Death In Paradise on Alibi (part of UKTV Play) which is being transmitted on today's schedule - join it one minute in (or 59 minutes in ) and selected the View from Start option - then you fail to get subtitles, but what you do get is the full one hour version, without adverts, not the cut down 45 minute version with adverts which is playing "live".

I hope if they ever fix the subtitles issue, they don't also "fix" the full version/no adverts "issue"

This message was authored by NandH This message was authored by: NandH

That's very interesting- 4 years in and they're still 'working on it'. Clearly not anywhere near the top of the list then.

Thanks for the tip about ad free workaround. 

This message was authored by Maggie4 This message was authored by: Maggie4

I have just emailed UKTV for an update on this, really need subtitles when I stream and not just when I watch "live".  You would think that all the money spent on their rebranding some might have gone towards this problem! I suppose I will get the standard reply - 3rd party etc. etc.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion