Discussion topic: Netflix keeps dropping out - is there a fix?

This message was authored by Dambu This message was authored by: Dambu

Netflix keeps dropping out - is there a fix?

When watching Netflix is regularly looses sound and then freezes (this can happen up to 4 times in a single film).  The only fix seems to be to switch off and switch on the Sky "puck".  This is really annoying and not what I expected from my Sky subscription.  Is there a fix or way of getting a refund for this terrible service?

All Replies

This message was authored by mikealanr This message was authored by: mikealanr

Re: Netflix keeps dropping out - is there a fix?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Hi @Dambu 

The issue is likely to be a local issue with your setup as there aren't widespread reports on the forum. Who is your ISP and what connection speed are you getting? You need 25Mbps for HD and 30Mbps for UHD.

If your bandwidth is marginal or have poor WiFi, you may have a better experience connecting your puck via ethernet or homeplugs and turn off WiFi in the settings.

In terms of refunds, we are fellow subscribers here on the forum, you would need to speak to Sky.

MikeAlanR

---
65” Sky Glass ocean blue, Sky Live, 4 streaming pucks and EE FTTP Busiest Home (circa 1.6 Gbps download). Former Sky Q, Sky+ HD and Sky+ customer.
This message was authored by Yorkshire-JD This message was authored by: Yorkshire-JD

I have the same problem and it's only with Netflix and Prime apps. Sky programmes work fine so it's not the puck. I also have Sky fibre broadband at 135mbps. If I watch Netflix or Prime on the apps on the tv they are fine so it's not a WiFi thing as the tv uses an older WiFi version. It is a real pain and not something you expect on 2024. I think it's something to do with puck but only Sky will know the real answer

Dambu
Topic Author
This message was authored by Dambu This message was authored by: Dambu

I am now inclined to agree that the Sky puck is the problem.  On a couple of occassions mine has failed to start up properly (the clock gives the wrong time and the TV schedule doesn't work).  It would be interesting to hear if anyone else has issues with the puck.  The fact that restarted the puck fixes the Netflix freeze could also indicate that the puck isn't up to the job.

This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Dambu wrote:

I am now inclined to agree that the Sky puck is the problem.  On a couple of occassions mine has failed to start up properly (the clock gives the wrong time and the TV schedule doesn't work).  It would be interesting to hear if anyone else has issues with the puck.  The fact that restarted the puck fixes the Netflix freeze could also indicate that the puck isn't up to the job.

In addition to the advice offer above you should ensure you are exiting apps on the puck when you have finished watching them. Just pressing the home button will usually keep the apps running int he background and can require reboots to help clear the memory to solve the issue.

Keep pressing the back button in an app until it either brings up the option to exit that app or it exits to the Sky stream home page.

What is key to understand is that the Sky streaming platform doesn't work like other streaming devices, virtually nothing is being run locally from the puck, everything you run is being run directly from Sky servers and that is the reason that a strong and stable network connection is required ( as mentioned by @mikealanr earlier in this thread). 

Sky Stream user. Former Sky+ HD and Sky Broadband customer
Please LIKE any responses you found helpful
Please mark a response as an ANSWER if it has solved your query/issue

NOT a Sky Employee

This message was authored by Steve93 This message was authored by: Steve93

I watch Netflix all the time on Sky Stream without any issue, it loads as fast as Apple TV 4K, the slowest is Itvx but once your in it plays back no problem.

Had 2 issues a few weeks ago, the stream box just stopped & I got a black screen, just left it a few mins & it came back

I used to be with Sky Broadband top speed 50mbps, couldn't use Sky Stream then, kept buffering sent it back in Oct 22,  it just kept trying to load programs, must've been my WiFi as I couldn't use ethernet the router was too far away, no other ISP could give a faster connection,

Luckily Virgin Media came to our area in 2023 now with them on their 1gig, got Stream again this June it's 100% better than last time, like night & day

We did have Q for years, don't miss it, still got the box (waiting to send it back) but happy with Stream, the picture is a lot better than Q, appreciate it's a little slow but used to it now, also have the VM Stream box we alternate between the both, VM box is faster as is the Apple box

Q will be going for a few years more but will eventually go as everything is streamed

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion