Discussion topic: Netflix Picture & Sound Quality - Sky Stream v Apple TV

This message was authored by 1964+Shot This message was authored by: 1964+Shot

Netflix Picture & Sound Quality - Sky Stream v Apple TV

I've read that with Apple TV it's faster to navigate the menu and load programmes than it is on Sky Stream.

However, how does the picture and sound quality compare between the two? 

Also, do people with Apple TV who get Sky Stream usually revert to using Sky Stream only so they only have to use one streaming box?

All Replies

This message was authored by Nigelb1972 This message was authored by: Nigelb1972

Re: Netflix Picture & Sound Quality - Sky Stream v Apple TV

They're two different products aimed at different types of users. Personally, I find the picture and sound quality on the Stream Pick to be nothing other than outstanding and use it for all available apps other than AppleTV. The reason I don't use it for AppleTV is that the app tries to push Dolby Vision as the HDR format of choice and my TV doesn't support that format so the app drops back to 1080p. For this reason alone, I use the native app on the TV.

For speed of navigation, an AppleTV box will be faster as it has a more powerful processor.

Also, there's something to do with the frame rates on the Puck that doesn't happen but does on AppleTV which can give a different result on video quality but I've never sat here thinking "oooh no that's unwatchable"and I'd notice stuff like that...

This message was authored by Padam_Padam This message was authored by: Padam_Padam

@1964+Shot wrote:

I've read that with Apple TV it's faster to navigate the menu and load programmes than it is on Sky Stream.

Also, do people with Apple TV who get Sky Stream usually revert to using Sky Stream only so they only have to use one streaming box?

Image quality from a Stream puck can be excellent but the Apple TV 4K box is infinitely superior. It has all formats of HDR (HLG, HDR10, Dolby Vision and HDR10+ if your TV supports it) and also will match the correct native frame rate of the source material. 

The Sky Stream puck is locked to 50 or 60Hz only and will not play movies from any third party app in true 24fps. 

Lip sync was always variable between apps and formats on my Stream puck. Sound quality was good, just not reliably in sync. No such issues with the Apple TV box. 

I ended up getting rid of Sky Stream completely. Just not worth the cost for me. 

This message was authored by trevforum This message was authored by: trevforum

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Padam_Padam wrote:

@1964+Shot wrote:

Image quality from a Stream puck can be excellent but the Apple TV 4K box is infinitely superior. It has all formats of HDR (HLG, HDR10, Dolby Vision and HDR10+ if your TV supports it) and also will match the correct native frame rate of the source material. 

The Sky Stream puck is locked to 50 or 60Hz only and will not play movies from any third party app in true 24fps. 

Lip sync was always variable between apps and formats on my Stream puck. Sound quality was good, just not reliably in sync. No such issues with the Apple TV box. 

I ended up getting rid of Sky Stream completely. Just not worth the cost for me. 

In fact the Apple TV will detect true 24p and 23.976Hz.  e.g. Birdbox on Netflix with Sandra Bullock is true 24p.  

——————————————————-
Sky Stream, Sky Glass, Panasonic DX902, Pioneer LX-901 7.1.4
This message was authored by Jason+Golding This message was authored by: Jason+Golding

I have netflix on LG native tv app, apple tv, virgin stream, firestick and sky stream. The native LG app is the best, the others are all very similar 

Sky Stream x 2
LG C2 OLED 55inch
Sonos Playbar
Virgin 1 Gig
Virgin Stream Box
Xbox X
Apple TV 4K
Amazon 4K Firestick
This message was authored by Jason+Golding This message was authored by: Jason+Golding

@Padam_Padam How many times do you need to tell people that you got rid of sky and love apple tv? We know ! 

Sky Stream x 2
LG C2 OLED 55inch
Sonos Playbar
Virgin 1 Gig
Virgin Stream Box
Xbox X
Apple TV 4K
Amazon 4K Firestick
This message was authored by PSC133 This message was authored by: PSC133

The Apple box has been championed by several forum members since I purchased my Stream Pucks in October ‘22 and this swayed me to buy a couple of them along with a subscription to Now TV with Boost to compare the two.  I have had them running along side each other for over a year.  Here is my opinion:

I totally agree that the hardware of the Apple TV 4K box is far superior to that of the Sky Puck.  The Apple frame rate matching in particular is extremely useful when using apps such as Netflix and Disney+ and that makes the Apple TV preferable when using those apps.

The Apple box produces an excellent picture but so does the Sky Puck.

I haven’t really experienced a problem with lip sync using the Sky Puck.  Maybe this is because I use audio passthrough to amplifiers in most of my rooms. I do understand that poor lip sync is prevelant with many forum users using the puck.  This certainly isn’t a problem with the Apple box.

I have experienced problems with apps crashing and freezing with both boxes, but more so with the puck.  Connecting the pucks to smart plugs which reboot the pucks automatically during the night has definitely minimised the issues.  (Yes, I know you shouldn’t have to go to such lengths - but it helps!)

There is no access to 4K HDR using BBC iPlayer on the Apple box whereas there is on the Sky puck.

Sky 4K HDR Atmos programmes and Sky sport 4k are not available using NOW tv on the Apple box.  The upscaling of NOW tv on the Apple box produces good results but inferior to actual 4k, particularly on large screens.

I find that the integration of catch-up tv on the puck to be superior to that on the Apple box.

Terrestrial tv apps work more comprehensively on the puck with no missing features.  There are some features lacking on the Apple box.

The watch from start feature on the puck has better implementation than on the Apple box, even with the TV Launcher app.  Using the puck you can pause, fast forward and rewind watch from start programmes.  This is not always possible using the Apple box.

At the end of the day it boils down to personal preference and the way that you consume tv.  I watch my fair share of terrestrial channels and for that I find the puck to be superior.  For avid Netflix Disney+ Apple TV+ watchers I would recommend the Apple box.  I intend to keep and use both.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion