Discussion topic: My Sky Stream review

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

My Sky Stream review

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Installed straight out of the box without any issues.

Picture quality on high definition is outstanding and much better than sky q.

HD and UHD pq in my opinion is almost the same. Colours are vibrant and clear. Sound quality is excellent.

I do miss the page up , page down for quickly scrolling through the live stream channels.

The programmes on the epg that are also available in uhd aren't clearly labelled You get the "watch from start " without the "also available in UHD" and does not trigger my tv's hlg/hdr on screen graphic which would otherwise be the only notification that a programme is UHD. 

In summary this is a fantastic box of tricks with outstanding picture quality and outshines Sky Q. A big thumbs up from me 😁👍

I will add to this as time from time to time if necessary

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up

All Replies

This message was authored by Fothergill1 This message was authored by: Fothergill1

Re: My Sky Stream review

@cookiemonsteruk  Pretty much my experience and thoughts.  I moved from Glass to stream in early December and find Stream much better than Glass.

Page up and down  can be achieved on the EPG by a slightly longer press (& release) of the up/down on the circular button.  It's not as good as the dedicated Sky Q button but is still effective.

------------------------------------------
If my post has solved your issue please mark as an "Answer"
If it has helped please give it a "Like"
cookiemonsteruk
Topic Author
This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

What is apparent is that its too easy to bring up BBC i player without clicking on it. 

Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

This message was authored by Jporch316 This message was authored by: Jporch316

@cookiemonsteruk wrote:

What is apparent is that its too easy to bring up BBC i player without clicking on it. 

Think this happens when you click on the bbc1 tile just above the tv guide ... very easy to do and very very annoying 

——————————————————————————
43inch and 55 inch Sky Glass & 3 Pucks on virgin media M350 hub 5x. 4 x sky mobile sims. Pretend guitar aficionado .. rock on!
This message was authored by RealWorldCitizen This message was authored by: RealWorldCitizen

I would value your thoughts on this for someone whose wife likes the ability to record and how that compares with SkyQ please. Maybe we just miss the Betamax video recorder.

one other ask if I am very cheeky please @cookiemonsteruk. I have seen you fairly busy on other threads 😉 can I connect a Netgear Orbi direct to the ONT with Sky Ultrafast and if so what are the credentials? Apologies for the cheeky ask

cookiemonsteruk
Topic Author

@RealWorldCitizen 

@RealWorldCitizen wrote:

I would value your thoughts on this for someone whose wife likes the ability to record and how that compares with SkyQ please. Maybe we just miss the Betamax video recorder.

I have enquired via our community managers re: how much we can divulge in respect to recordings. Hopefully i'll get back to you one way or another tomorrow

one other ask if I am very cheeky please @cookiemonsteruk. I have seen you fairly busy on other threads 😉 can I connect a Netgear Orbi direct to the ONT with Sky Ultrafast and if so what are the credentials? Apologies for the cheeky ask

Please post in the broadband forum and tag me . Many thanks

This message was authored by RealWorldCitizen This message was authored by: RealWorldCitizen

Grateful and looking forward to the Stream update. I am moving into a new house. Have always used SkyQ and have an order in for the same again. If the experience on record was good stream would suit much better so I will wait out with interest 

cookiemonsteruk
Topic Author

@RealWorldCitizen 

Ok, as it stands a lot of content is held on various apps etc so adding to a playlist simply invokes the app to play.

For programmes tha have no on demand presence ie live sports pressing the red add to playlist actually invokes a cloud recording.  The firmware is been rolled as we speak but i haven't tried it yet. Hope this helps

Thanks for taking the time. I might dial back on that Sky Q order and try this 

This message was authored by Kempston This message was authored by: Kempston

Agree with the opening poster. Sky customer for over two decades and I was on Sky Q pretty much from the start. But I find Stream to be better, barring a couple of technical hitches like the puck not coming out of standby with Bluetooth on my newer hardware.

The only other real thing I miss is the stability that rewind and fast forward on local storage gives you. The stream version works, but is a bit ropey and inconsistent. But it's inevitable as it's time shifting a stream. I'm sure there will be improvements with it as we move forward.

This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith

@Kempston wrote:

Agree with the opening poster. Sky customer for over two decades and I was on Sky Q pretty much from the start. But I find Stream to be better, barring a couple of technical hitches like the puck not coming out of standby with Bluetooth on my newer hardware.

The only other real thing I miss is the stability that rewind and fast forward on local storage gives you. The stream version works, but is a bit ropey and inconsistent. But it's inevitable as it's time shifting a stream. I'm sure there will be improvements with it as we move forward.

You will find that the voice control fast forward or rewind X minutes, is an improvement on having to use the buttons on the remote in some situations.

Sky Stream user. Former Sky+ HD and Sky Broadband customer
Please LIKE any responses you found helpful
Please mark a response as an ANSWER if it has solved your query/issue

NOT a Sky Employee

cookiemonsteruk
Topic Author

@MarkGoldsmith 

I'll need to read up on voice commands. Whilst available on sky q i never really used any.  I guess  sky stream is a paradigm shift for a remote control traditionalist like me

This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith

@cookiemonsteruk wrote:

@MarkGoldsmith 

I'll need to read up on voice commands. Whilst available on sky q i never really used any.  I guess  sky stream is a paradigm shift for a remote control traditionalist like me

Sometimes i just try things by luck and see if they work with the voice commands 😀

Sky Stream user. Former Sky+ HD and Sky Broadband customer
Please LIKE any responses you found helpful
Please mark a response as an ANSWER if it has solved your query/issue

NOT a Sky Employee

This message was authored by Dave6018 This message was authored by: Dave6018

Well, I have had Sky Stream for just under a week, and I must say I am impressed. I came from Virgin Media, and Sky Stream feels so much more modern.  Picture and sound quality excellent

This message was authored by Bluethree This message was authored by: Bluethree

Thanks all. I got a fairly decent deal this morning and swapped out the Sky Q order for three Sky pucks with full package and Ultrafast plus. 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion