Discussion topic: Massive issues with Sky stream

This message was authored by Adam_ This message was authored by: Adam_

Massive issues with Sky stream

I am having so many issues with sky stream

1) Fast forwarding programmes keeps taking me back to the beginning of each programme every time I do it

2) If I do this too quickly or try to rewind I get the 'Please wait for your programme to load message' - the programmed subsequently never loads and I have to start the whole programme again - including watching the same 4 minutes of adverts each time (this is something they need to address).

3) Even though I was watching Sky Showcase live, when I tried to watch the same show on demand the next day, I was told that I did not have the subscription to do so

And by the way, I'm on Sky broadband!

The amount of buffering and difficulty to watch shows is just not worth the hassle in comparison to Sky Q

Can you please either rectify this, or put me onto Sky Q?

All Replies

This message was authored by Fishmanboy This message was authored by: Fishmanboy

Re: Massive issues with Sky stream

Having and had the same issues. Sky gave me 'ad skipping' free for two months but now it seems I'm paying for it as I didn't ring and cancel the 'free' offer. 

Needless to say I'm going back to Sky Q I've had enough of Stream. 

This message was authored by SlenderRobert This message was authored by: SlenderRobert

Fast forwarding and rewinding on Stream is abysmal and always has been. It's the main thing that has turned me and my family off using the puck - it makes watching TV infuriating as it's just not reliable. 

Reverting to Q (if you can) is by far the best option if you like to skip through content easily and reliably. 

Adam_
Topic Author

I don't recall seeing Sky Q as an option for me when I signed up (I've only been a customer for 2 weeks). How much extra is Sky Q?

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Adam_ 

A subscription bundle should be more or less the same, but up-front hardware cost may be greater.

Remember that Q is a satellite television system and so requires a dish, cabling and drilling (if not already in place)

With Q only one television set can have UHD output from Sky.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by SlenderRobert This message was authored by: SlenderRobert

@Adam_ wrote:

I don't recall seeing Sky Q as an option for me when I signed up (I've only been a customer for 2 weeks). How much extra is Sky Q?

It depends on your package but the equivalent basic service on Sky Q is actually a couple of pounds cheaper than Stream. 

Adam_
Topic Author

I assume the 'playlist' aspect of Sky stream is the closest thing to recording capabilities. Is it like a live pause situation where you can only go back about an hour from live tv?

@Adam_ wrote:

I assume the 'playlist' aspect of Sky stream is the closest thing to recording capabilities. Is it like a live pause situation where you can only go back about an hour from live tv?

The playlist is merely a link to on demand content from third party apps or to stored files of Sky content on Sky's own server. There is no specific online storage for each customer, at least none you have any control over. 
Restart on live channels merely goes back to the start of the show currently being streamed. You cannot go back further than that. 

This message was authored by Jason+Golding This message was authored by: Jason+Golding

The FW and  RW functionality on stream is poor. It's the same for everyone. Hopefully something that sky will be able to fix with future updates,  especially as it is a paid function for some 

Sky Stream x 2
LG C2 OLED 55inch
Sonos Playbar
Virgin 1 Gig
Virgin Stream Box
Xbox X
Apple TV 4K
Amazon 4K Firestick
This message was authored by PSC133 This message was authored by: PSC133

I find that one of the best features of Sky Stream is the ability to watch a programme that is currently being broadcast from the start.

Fast forwarding and rewinding is at best erratic and at worst downright impossible and because of the poor quality of the stream hardware it may never improve.

The best way to deal with this issue is to ignore ff and rw on the remote and use voice control.  For instance, the ad breaks on ITV3 are almost always 4 minutes so the voice command "Forward 4 minutes" is usually successful.

@PSC133 wrote:

I find that one of the best features of Sky Stream is the ability to watch a programme that is currently being broadcast from the start.

Fast forwarding and rewinding is at best erratic and at worst downright impossible and because of the poor quality of the stream hardware it may never improve.

The best way to deal with this issue is to ignore ff and rw on the remote and use voice control.  For instance, the ad breaks on ITV3 are almost always 4 minutes so the voice command "Forward 4 minutes" is usually successful.

I find voice control to be almost as erratic as the fast forward & rewind buttons. If I say "skip 4 minutes" it's 50/50 whether it'll understand me at all. It'll often skip 40 minutes or say that it can't find Skipton or some such nonsense. The voice recognition is vastly inferior to Siri or Alexa.
I really miss the ability to click quickly on the remote to jump in 1 minute intervals like you could do on Q. 
Thankfully we now watch so little on Sky that we don't have to suffer the inadequacies of the puck too often. 

This message was authored by PSC133 This message was authored by: PSC133

@SlenderRobert 

I don't think that I have had a problem with Stream recognising my commands.  However I did have elocution lessons as a child! 😏

This message was authored by Pppwp This message was authored by: Pppwp

Completely agree. Sky stream is not fit for purpose. I believe in time this will be the go to Sky product but for now Sky are ripping us off my charging for something they know does not work properly. I keep getting the error shown below, Sky told me they haven't heard of it, and it doesn't exist.

Appreciate new products will always come with glitches and if you adopt IMG_2753.jpegthem early you have to settle to a certain extent. What I find really annoying is I've been a sky customer for 23 years and they couldn't give a **bleep** about me only about the money, I pay them each month. 

This message was authored by Joe-Bow This message was authored by: Joe-Bow

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Pppwp wrote:

Completely agree. Sky stream is not fit for purpose. I believe in time this will be the go to Sky product but for now Sky are ripping us off my charging for something they know does not work properly. I keep getting the error shown below, Sky told me they haven't heard of it, and it doesn't exist.

Appreciate new products will always come with glitches and if you adopt IMG_2753.jpegthem early you have to settle to a certain extent. What I find really annoying is I've been a sky customer for 23 years and they couldn't give a **bleep** about me only about the money, I pay them each month. 

@Pppwp Possibly because this isn't an error from Glass/Stream but it's from the playback app that you're using here.

The catch-up/3rd party apps aren't the responsibility of Sky, but the broadcaster that supplies them, in this case I believe this is a Channel 4 broadcast.  

The 3rd party broadcasters supply Sky with the metadata and deep links for Glass, but there is often mistakes and problems with what Sky get sent.

The correct course of action here would be to inform Sky Viewer relations at viewerr@sky.uk about the issue with the catch-up service and then complain to the provider of the catch-up service themselves that the data they're sending to Sky for Glass and Stream has errors in it.

This message was authored by StephJNV1 This message was authored by: StephJNV1

I have a sky glass tv and puck upstairs, fast forwarding just doesn't work especially on the 4 app! If I try to fast forward it does but then doesn't stop and goes back to the start! It's infuriating!! Also I pay for add skip but it's takes ages compared to sky q to actually skip the add! It's no where mere as good as sky q! I love my sky glass tv but would prefer it if I still had sky q! I can't save programmes I want to, it doesn't automatically put my usual ones in to my playlist if a new series starts! Sky needs to sort this out! It's not cheap!!! 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion