Discussion topic: Is there an issue with WiFi connectivity in Sky stream?

This message was authored by bydandie This message was authored by: bydandie

Is there an issue with WiFi connectivity in Sky stream?

So I've seen a fair few people who have been having issues with WiFi connectivity on Stream pucks and this is something that I've come across over the past month.  Essentially, the stream buffers it's content, saying it's taking some time to load or similar.  When I check the network speed on the the Netflix device of the puck it says it's connecting at below 7mpbs, but when rebooting it's reporting over 200mpbs.  This has been going on for some time, and I'm wondering if:

a - People are seeing this?

b -- if they've done the same checks as me to see if there is an issue

Sky Stream
LG 55" G2 OLED
Virgin 1 Gig
Virgin v360

All Replies

This message was authored by Jporch316 This message was authored by: Jporch316

Re: Is there an issue with WiFi connectivity in Sky stream?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@bydandie 

Not seen this on any of my 3 pucks? Or my glass 

have you got a booster or mesh system where the puck might be connecting to an access point further away 

——————————————————————————
43inch and 55 inch Sky Glass & 3 Pucks on virgin media M350 hub 5x. 4 x sky mobile sims. Pretend guitar aficionado .. rock on!
bydandie
Topic Author

@Jporch316 wrote:

@bydandie 

Not seen this on any of my 3 pucks? Or my glass 

have you got a booster or mesh system where the puck might be connecting to an access point further away 

It's an issue with the WIC, not the network.  Both the mesh networks within range have 1Gig backhaul, and Sky support have confirmed the issue is with the WIC.

Sky Stream
LG 55" G2 OLED
Virgin 1 Gig
Virgin v360
This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith

I saw the exact same thing with my pukc during the first week so i switched over to ethernet. 

However i'm fairly certainly the issue is related to be stability/strength of the WIFI connection. The reason i know this is because my Smart TV (which is over 10 years old now), has a similarish problem, where occassionally where its located it struggled to get a decent WIFI signals, or the wifi would drop on it for a few minutes. It was only that one device that i had the problem with, all other devices has always been fine. I'd assume it was just an issue with the TV until i got my Stream puck.

When i started to see this same behaviour on my stream puck (which is connected to the aforementioned TV), with the wifi signal strength dropping and occassionally cutting out at least i knew the issue wsan't just with my TV. Because it worked as a fix for my TV, i did the same for the streak puck, connected via ethernet and have had zero issues with it since.

What i suspect is an issue is that the stream puck doesn't seem capable of recovering from a network issue, What seems to happen is the puck crashes, and even when the WIFI network signal returns after its brief dropout, whilst my TV would auto recover, the puck doesn't. It seems to me like the puck is essentially crashing after a small dropout, which is why rebooting it fixes the issue until it reoccurs. My hunch would say its the lack of decent memory in the puck, which is likely the reason it won't auto-recover and why a reboot and a flush of the cache restores service.

Sky Stream user. Former Sky+ HD and Sky Broadband customer
Please LIKE any responses you found helpful
Please mark a response as an ANSWER if it has solved your query/issue

NOT a Sky Employee

bydandie
Topic Author

@MarkGoldsmith wrote:

I saw the exact same thing with my pukc during the first week so i switched over to ethernet. 

However i'm fairly certainly the issue is related to be stability/strength of the WIFI connection. The reason i know this is because my Smart TV (which is over 10 years old now), has a similarish problem, where occassionally where its located it struggled to get a decent WIFI signals, or the wifi would drop on it for a few minutes. It was only that one device that i had the problem with, all other devices has always been fine. I'd assume it was just an issue with the TV until i got my Stream puck.

When i started to see this same behaviour on my stream puck (which is connected to the aforementioned TV), with the wifi signal strength dropping and occassionally cutting out at least i knew the issue wsan't just with my TV. Because it worked as a fix for my TV, i did the same for the streak puck, connected via ethernet and have had zero issues with it since.

What i suspect is an issue is that the stream puck doesn't seem capable of recovering from a network issue, What seems to happen is the puck crashes, and even when the WIFI network signal returns after its brief dropout, whilst my TV would auto recover, the puck doesn't. It seems to me like the puck is essentially crashing after a small dropout, which is why rebooting it fixes the issue until it reoccurs. My hunch would say its the lack of decent memory in the puck, which is likely the reason it won't auto-recover and why a reboot and a flush of the cache restores service.

The interesting thing here is that I know the when support connected to it a couple of months ago they the signal on both mesh node was strong enough but the puck had issues maintaining a connection.  There's certainly an issue that requires further investigation but I'd wager the only way to test it will be to raise a complaint 🥲

Thats the reason I was trying to gather some data first 😃

My Virgin stream has no issues 😃

Sky Stream
LG 55" G2 OLED
Virgin 1 Gig
Virgin v360
This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith

The thing that bugged me, is why it doesn't auto-recover after any potential issue. 

Thats why i got fed up and went with my tried and tested powerline adapters.

We know some people will have issues with general WIFI signal strength in their property based on location of router/devices etc etc, but i think Sky need to do a much better job at explaining this as part of the information provided for Glass/Sky. The key thing for this to work is a good, fast reliable connection to the internet which as most techies know isn't going to be a 100% guranteed thing via a basic home WIFI setup. The ordinary Sky streaming customer is unlikely to have a great technology understanding ( and shouldn't really need one). I've always felt the glass/puck should come with an ethernet cable and the instructions should say ( if you have these issues, trying plugging the ethernet cable in and see if it improves).

NOT a Sky Employee

@bydandie wrote:

@MarkGoldsmith wrote:

The interesting thing here is that I know the when support connected to it a couple of months ago they the signal on both mesh node was strong enough but the puck had issues maintaining a connection.  There's certainly an issue that requires further investigation but I'd wager the only way to test it will be to raise a complaint 🥲

Thats the reason I was trying to gather some data first 😃

My Virgin stream has no issues 😃

Be interesting to see what response or feedback you get from them.

NOT a Sky Employee

This message was authored by Exiled-in-HH This message was authored by: Exiled-in-HH

Do VirginMedia use a client/server architecture for the streaming service?

Using a client/server architecture is what allows Sky to deliver their service via any ISP🤔

Exiled in HH
bydandie
Topic Author

@Exiled-in-HH wrote:

Do VirginMedia use a client/server architecture for the streaming service?

Using a client/server architecture is what allows Sky to deliver their service via any ISP🤔

How else would they deliver content? A server would present content on the basis of a data schema 😀

Sky Stream
LG 55" G2 OLED
Virgin 1 Gig
Virgin v360
This message was authored by Exiled-in-HH This message was authored by: Exiled-in-HH

Apps aren't located on Sky Pucks they are on the server😉

Exiled in HH
bydandie
Topic Author

@Exiled-in-HH wrote:

Apps aren't located on Sky Pucks they are on the server😉

The apps are on the puck, the content comes from the server but there will be a cache of some sort 😀

Sky Stream
LG 55" G2 OLED
Virgin 1 Gig
Virgin v360

They might be on the pick ... BUT they are certainly not on a Sky Puck😉

Exiled in HH
bydandie
Topic Author

@Exiled-in-HH wrote:

The app most certainly is, the way that a content delivery system works is that the client will make calls to the Cloud storage to call content based on a data schema (JSON,XML etc). That data will be buffered in a cache 😀

Sky Stream
LG 55" G2 OLED
Virgin 1 Gig
Virgin v360

@bydandie wrote:

@Exiled-in-HH wrote:

The app most certainly is, the way that a content delivery system works is that the client will make calls to the Cloud storage to call content based on a data schema (JSON,XML etc). That data will be buffered in a cache 😀

Otherwise there would be no need for a app refresh functionality on each Glass/Stream. There is clearly some content "locally".

NOT a Sky Employee

This message was authored by Floydianslip This message was authored by: Floydianslip

@bydandie I have 4 pucks all connected via WiFi since October 2022 and had no issues. IMO this is down to using my own router rather than the generally poor specced routers most ISP's provide.

I have FTTP 900mb connection and use an Asus AX3000 router, my advice would be ditch the router your ISP provides they really  aren't up to the job. 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion