Discussion topic: How much data does Sky Stream consume per month?

This message was authored by macnfun This message was authored by: macnfun

How much data does Sky Stream consume per month?

Hi,

I'm on a wireless fixed broadband line (can't get fibre to the home)

It has speeds of 150Mbps and a monthly data cap of 1 terabyte

There are two sky stream pucks in the house, neither of them using UHD.

Would daily typical evening use  (6pm to 10 or 11pm) exceed the monthly data cap?

All Replies

This message was authored by Nigelb1972 This message was authored by: Nigelb1972

Re: How much data does Sky Stream consume per month?

Hard to say with Sky Stream but average data used by streaming services is 1.5 to 2.5 gb per hour for HD 

This message was authored by CoffeeDrinker This message was authored by: CoffeeDrinker

Going off Sky's '25 megabits per second' for HD, and assuming their HD runs at a constant, unvarying 25 Mb/ (it doesn't):

25 megabits = 3.125 megabytes

Megabytes per hour = 60 seconds x 60 mins = 11,250 megabytes per hour

1024 megabytes in a gigabyte, so 10.98 GB per hour

1 terabyte = 1024 gigabtyes

1024 gigabytes / 11 gigabytes per hour gives roughly 93 hours viewing of Sky HD material per month. Roughly 3 hrs 6 mins of HD each day, every day for a month.

Take this with a huge pinch of salt though. Sky is unlikely to be running at a constant, unvarying 25mb/s all the time, so the overall viewing time for your 1 TB cap is likely to be longer.

(Aplogies if I've stuffed up the maths. Happy to stand corrected!)

Sky Glass & Streak Puck customer w/Sky Entertainments & Netflix, Sky Cinema, Whole Home & UHD/Dolby Atmos add-on.
This message was authored by Nigelb1972 This message was authored by: Nigelb1972

@CoffeeDrinker Sky aren't streaming at 25mbps. They recommend a minimum connection of 25mbps so that you have bandwidth spare for other internet usage. 

I'm on a 500 Mbps connection and currently watching The Penguin in UHD HDR with Atmos and it's using around 20mbps 

This message was authored by Exiled-in-HH This message was authored by: Exiled-in-HH

Hopefully you meant 20 Mbps😉

Exiled in HH
This message was authored by CoffeeDrinker This message was authored by: CoffeeDrinker

@Nigelb1972 wrote:

@CoffeeDrinker Sky aren't streaming at 25mbps. They recommend a minimum connection of 25mbps so that you have bandwidth spare for other internet usage. 

I'm on a 500 Mbps connection and currently watching The Penguin in UHD HDR with Atmos and it's using around 20mbps 

Sub 20mb/s and then some for HD? - even more viewing mileage from the original poster's 1TB/ month cap then 👍

Sky Glass & Streak Puck customer w/Sky Entertainments & Netflix, Sky Cinema, Whole Home & UHD/Dolby Atmos add-on.

@Exiled-in-HH didn't they up the minimums to 25mbps and 35mbps? Not that it matters to us as we've got lots of internets available. They could go to 100mbps and it still wouldn't make a noticeable dent 🤣

This message was authored by Exiled-in-HH This message was authored by: Exiled-in-HH

In all cases the difference between mbps and Mbps is very significant😉

Exiled in HH

@Exiled-in-HH ahh I thought I'd made a booboo but I see what ya mean now. I thought his numbers looked off but I've had a few vodka and tonics because it's Saturday 🤣

This message was authored by Skull+Treaty This message was authored by: Skull+Treaty

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Nigelb1972 wrote:

@Exiled-in-HH ahh I thought I'd made a booboo but I see what ya mean now. I thought his numbers looked off but I've had a few vodka and tonics because it's Saturday 🤣

@Nigelb1972 
Vodka aside, the main difference isn't the capital M...but the B. Mbps is the same as mbps; MBps (commonly shown as MB/s) is different 🙂

Most people reading your post would have known what you were meaning

👍🏻 

"Sometimes, the only choices you have are bad ones, but you still have to choose"
This message was authored by martswain This message was authored by: martswain

Using the data stats from my ISP and my viewing hours, I estimate that Stream uses around 3.3 GB of data per hour in HD.

Using @CoffeeDrinker's figures of 10.98 GB/hour at Sky's "requirement" of 25 then the actual bandwidth used in HD is somewhere around 7/8

Funnily enough, this is almost the exact drop on Speedtest.net that I get doing tests with Stream on/off.

I have a current sync speed of 33 on FTTC.

As I purchased Stream with the launch requirement of only 10, I still reckon 7/8 is fine for HD.

Of course, this has to be continuoulsy available and stable.

This message was authored by Skull+Treaty This message was authored by: Skull+Treaty

@macnfun wrote:

Hi,

I'm on a wireless fixed broadband line (can't get fibre to the home)

It has speeds of 150Mbps and a monthly data cap of 1 terabyte

There are two sky stream pucks in the house, neither of them using UHD.

Would daily typical evening use  (6pm to 10 or 11pm) exceed the monthly data cap?

@macnfun 

From the 01/10 to the 20/10 (just now) my Stream device traffic was 581 GB (download) with 61.24 GB of upload traffic. A total of 642.24 GB. This includes traffic via any apps using the Stream device (ITVX, Netflix, iPlayer etc.)

Last week (slightly higher than average usage for us) was 121.72 GB of combined up and download Stream device traffic.  

"Sometimes, the only choices you have are bad ones, but you still have to choose"

@Skull+Treaty wrote:

@Nigelb1972 wrote:

@Nigelb1972 
Vodka aside, the main difference isn't the capital M...but the B. Mbps is the same as mbps; MBps (commonly shown as MB/s) is different 🙂

👍🏻 

B and b is only a multiple of eight... while M and m is a multiple of a million😂🤣😂

Exiled in HH

@Exiled-in-HH wrote:

@Skull+Treaty wrote:

@Nigelb1972 wrote:

@Nigelb1972 

👍🏻 

B and b is only a multiple of eight... while M and m is a multiple of a million😂🤣😂

M is mega; while m is...wait for it...mega. B is byte, b is bit

Mbps
Stands for megabits per second.
MBps
Stands for megabytes per second.

The key difference between the two is that there are eight bits in every byte, so 1 MBps is equal to 8 Mbps.

This message was authored by gerdav This message was authored by: gerdav

For anyone who Sky's. Broadband after using the My Sky website or app to test the broadband connection you can then view the current and last 12 months data usage, ours is averaging 2-3tb a month over the past year, we have UHD but 80-90% of viewing is in HD, yes this does include everything in the house including a PS5 but I'd be surprised if that accounts for anything more than 100-200gb, if even that. 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion