Discussion topic: Ethernet connected

This message was authored by Steve93 This message was authored by: Steve93

Ethernet connected

Checked Netflix it's 80mbps on Ethernet  Stream works flawlessly,  previous to that on wifi or was 450mbps, will wifi make it load itvx quicker it's quite slow, on both WiFi & Ethernet, my router is Virgin 5x, next to the Stream box

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: Ethernet connected

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Steve93 

Stream pucks have a 100Mbs ethernet chipset, plus WiFi 6, so that's why there are very different speed results between cabled and wireless connections.

ITVX performance is likely to be a combination of the app itself, the relatively low power of the puck processor and the client-server architecture in use: connection speed probably isn't a factor in this case.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by Padam_Padam This message was authored by: Padam_Padam

@Steve93 wrote:

Checked Netflix it's 80mbps on Ethernet  Stream works flawlessly,  previous to that on wifi or was 450mbps, will wifi make it load itvx quicker it's quite slow, on both WiFi & Ethernet, my router is Virgin 5x, next to the Stream box

ITVX is a notoriously memory hungry app and is only really speedy on devices with fast processors and a decent amount of RAM, neither of which Sky Stream has. 

All the apps on Stream are hosted on Sky's servers, not on the puck itself, so there is also an added latency which can make them slower than apps downloaded to a device such as a smart TV, Firestick, Roku or Apple TV box.  

Steve93
Topic Author

Thanks, that's why Itvx is fast to load on Apple 4K tv box, that has a faster chip set but quite a lot when loading an Itvx program it says "We've noticed some buffering, it's at our end" strange only happens on Apple TV box & nothing else

This message was authored by Padam_Padam This message was authored by: Padam_Padam

@Steve93 wrote:

Thanks, that's why Itvx is fast to load on Apple 4K tv box, that has a faster chip set but quite a lot when loading an Itvx program it says "We've noticed some buffering, it's at our end" strange only happens on Apple TV box & nothing else

I've never seen that when using ITVX on my Apple TV 4K box. I use ethernet connected to a 500Mbps symmetrical full fibre connection and haven't had a single buffering issue on any app in over a year.

4K HDR streams start immediately at full resolution and I can skip forward and back through streams very easily. 

Make sure you keep apps updated via the app store and give the box a restart via the system menu to see if that helps. 

Steve93
Topic Author

It's only Itvx no other app, it did the same when we had Sky Broadband 50mbps on WiFi & Ethernet & still the same on Virgin 1 gig, although Sky Stream was terrible with Sky Broadband but a lot better with Virgin, Sky router was in a different room but the Virgin hub is next to the Stream box 

@Steve93 wrote:

It's only Itvx no other app, it did the same when we had Sky Broadband 50mbps on WiFi & Ethernet & still the same on Virgin 1 gig, although Sky Stream was terrible with Sky Broadband but a lot better with Virgin, Sky router was in a different room but the Virgin hub is next to the Stream box 

Weird. Have you tried the 'reset ITVX' on the app's settings menu? Or a delete and re-install? 

We don't watch that much on it but have never had a buffering message. The wife watches GMB in the morning on it and we've been watching Orphan Black Echoes recently all of which have been fine. 

Steve93
Topic Author

Yes deleted the Itvx app then re installed it, doesn't happen all the time but at least once a day, I put this issue on the Apple forum, no one knew what the problem was

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion