Discussion topic: Changing from Sky Q to Stream what would I miss?

This message was authored by bob1234 This message was authored by: bob1234

Re: Changing from Sky Q to Stream what would I miss?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Sky pretends the following but it does not actually record, it links to an app if available. Channels like TCM can not be recorded/saved or put in the "Play List (although it does seem to, on the rare occasions it has but it in the playlist the link goes to a subscription so you have to pay to watch, not in my opinion the intent.) The 1000 hrs cloud recording as stated by Sky does not seem to exist.

I made a formal complaint to Sky, this is an extract from their latest reply. The truth is slowly being revealed.

"For a small number of shows, movies, sports events and news programmes, it’s only possible to watch them while they're broadcasting."

"What if the channel doesn't have an on-demand service?

Sky will record it on your behalf in the cloud as a "cloud recording", and you will see it on your playlist once it's ready. You have 1,000 hours of cloud recording space to use, and can remove things when you're done to clean it up."

This message was authored by SlenderRobert This message was authored by: SlenderRobert

@bob1234 wrote:

Sky will record it on your behalf in the cloud as a "cloud recording", and you will see it on your playlist once it's ready. You have 1,000 hours of cloud recording space to use, and can remove things when you're done to clean it up."

It would be nice if it did act like a proper cloud DVR. It's not beyond the realms of possibility that it'll happen eventually, particularly as Comcast already do it with their X1 service in the US, although it's not quite straightforward either...

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/x1-dvr-cloud-technology-general-faqs  

This message was authored by bob1234 This message was authored by: bob1234

@SlenderRobertsorry I was not clear I was contradicting a quote from @A+JW 

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@SlenderRobert wrote:

@bob1234 wrote:

It would be nice if it did act like a proper cloud DVR. It's not beyond the realms of possibility that it'll happen eventually, particularly as Comcast already do it with their X1 service in the US

I do wonder if the difference is not so much in the technology (which is presumably globally available) but in national copyright laws, or rather the limited exceptions to these which makes 'Recording' for time-shifting legal.

Edit: I see that in the US there's a potentially applicable Supreme Court ruling going back to the Betamax era.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by Jporch316 This message was authored by: Jporch316

@TimmyBGood wrote:

@SlenderRobert wrote:

@bob1234 wrote:

It would be nice if it did act like a proper cloud DVR. It's not beyond the realms of possibility that it'll happen eventually, particularly as Comcast already do it with their X1 service in the US

I do wonder if the difference is not so much in the technology (which is presumably globally available) but in national copyright laws, or rather the limited exceptions to these which makes 'Recording' for time-shifting legal.

Edit: I see that in the US there's a potentially applicable Supreme Court ruling going back to the Betamax era.

I wonder if this was the original plan / setup  and quite late on in the process it became clear that copyright laws wouldn't allow it ........

——————————————————————————
43inch and 55 inch Sky Glass & 3 Pucks on virgin media M350 hub 5x. 4 x sky mobile sims. Pretend guitar aficionado .. rock on!
This message was authored by slaters This message was authored by: slaters

@A+JW 

I hadn't thought about the cloud storage and a limit, is that right, and I hadn't thought about deleting how would you do that, simply remove a series? Sorry to be naive 

The Sky web site says this: "no need to worry about storage" ? 

This message was authored by SlenderRobert This message was authored by: SlenderRobert

@slaters wrote:

@A+JW 

I hadn't thought about the cloud storage and a limit, is that right, and I hadn't thought about deleting how would you do that, simply remove a series? Sorry to be naive 

I think it would be very hard to reach whatever limit (if there is one) on Sky's cloud storage. The vast majority of content is streamed from servers which the user has no control over. Any 'cloud recordings' are likely to be individual files stored on a server that are available to any number of other customers who have chosen to 'record' that particular programme too. AFAIK it's not a personal recording, unique to you, stored on your own personal hard drive in the cloud. 

There is certainly nothing in the Glass/Stream UI which allows you to see a list of what's on your cloud and delete/keep or whatever you want to do, like there is on Q. It's a much more rudimentary, and somewhat fluid system, which nobody seems to fully understand. 

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@SlenderRobert wrote:

@slaters wrote:

@A+JW 

Any 'cloud recordings' are likely to be individual files stored on a server that are available to any number of other customers who have chosen to 'record' that particular programme too. AFAIK it's not a personal recording, unique to you, stored on your own personal hard drive in the cloud. 

I always note that there's no need for Apple to store twenty million copies of 'I Gotta Feeling  ' for iTunes purchasers (or however many they've sold by now ; )

I always got the impression that a 1000 was just a big number to convey the fact that it was a lot ........

43inch and 55 inch Sky Glass & 3 Pucks on virgin media M350 hub 5x. 4 x sky mobile sims. Pretend guitar aficionado .. rock on!

@Jporch316 

Presumably big compared to the 'hours' on the spinning HDD in a Sky+ or Sky Q box (where I think they claimed 350 hours of HD for a 2TB)

@TimmyBGood 

Almost managed to run out of space on my old Q box a few times 

realised my better half had 5 years worth of gardeners world stored in there ......

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion