Discussion topic: Changing from Sky Q to Stream what would I miss?

This message was authored by Cat1967 This message was authored by: Cat1967

Changing from Sky Q to Stream what would I miss?

I am currently on Sky Q but it looks like Sky Stream is theoretically a lot cheaper for the same services.

From looking on various sites, it looks like I can get multi room access just like multiscreen on SkyQ and I have to pay for multiple "pucks".  Do these pucks have an ethernet port in case I want to use wired connection?

What would I miss by changing?

Also are freeview channels like BBC and ITV available live on the stream or do I still need an aerial?

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: Changing from Sky Q to Stream what would I miss?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Cat1967 

Stream pucks have an ethernet port.

They also have a DTTV socket and tuner, but this is non-functional in the UK/RoI and all content arrives online.

Glass puck rear.jpg

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Cat1967 

The key difference from Q (apart from having about half the channels) is that there's no local recording.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by bob1234 This message was authored by: bob1234

@Cat1967 
These are the channels available on Glass/stream

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/tv-channel-list-sky-glass

This message was authored by Jporch316 This message was authored by: Jporch316

@Cat1967 

Do yourself a huge favour and check out skys YouTube videos on how the system works and ensure it's the right choice for you 

personally it's fine for me but for others doesn't suit their viewing habits 

——————————————————————————
43inch and 55 inch Sky Glass & 3 Pucks on virgin media M350 hub 5x. 4 x sky mobile sims. Pretend guitar aficionado .. rock on!
This message was authored by Fothergill1 This message was authored by: Fothergill1

@Cat1967 Sky have some very clever advertising but don't be persuaded that Glass / Stream is an upgrade as it is not.  In simplistic terms it is just a way of getting Sky if you can't have, or don't want, a satellite dish.

I lost access to a dish when I moved home and having got used to my Glass TV I would not go back to Sky Q.  However, if I could have stayed with Sky Q when I moved I would certainly have done so.

You are obviously doing your research (hence your post) but make sure that Stream will suite your viewing needs.

------------------------------------------
If my post has solved your issue please mark as an "Answer"
If it has helped please give it a "Like"
This message was authored by Cornishrattler This message was authored by: Cornishrattler

@Cat1967 wrote:

Stability and a decent TV

This message was authored by techman9 This message was authored by: techman9

@Cat1967  Stability.

This message was authored by SlenderRobert This message was authored by: SlenderRobert

@Cat1967 

Also, beware of the term 'theoretically a lot cheaper' - as the base streaming pack may seem to cost less than the equivalent on Q, but there are, as others have noted, fewer channels available and add-ons like UHD/Atmos, ad-skipping and Netflix Premium can very quickly bring the price back up to Q levels and beyond.

Negotiation is the key with Sky. Deals are still available with Q. They're available with Stream too. Just be clear about exactly what you want/need your TV service to deliver for you and how much you're willing/able to pay for it.  

This message was authored by A+JW This message was authored by: A+JW

Multiscreen

You will need take the "Whole House" add-on, and then a Puck for every TV. They support Wi-Fi and Ethernet.

The advantage of Pucks over the old Sky Q Miniboxes is that all TVs have the same full experience, compared to the older slightly laggy and HD-only minboxes that Sky Q uses.

Price

Be sure that you're taking into account any offers shown on the website which you may not be eligible for as an exisitng customer.

Channels

Sky Stream has a lot of channels, and you can see the whole list here.

Sky also maintain a list of channels that are on Sky Q but are not currently on Sky Stream, you can find that here.

I am not familiar with Freeview's channels, but I suspect there's an awful lot of overlap and certainly all of the core mainstream channels are there.

There is a Freeview antenna port at the back of each Puck. This is only used to keep live TV going if your internet drops as a backup.

Remote Control

The remote control is slightly different from Sky Q, but should feel quite familiar after a day or two. The dedicated fast forward and rewind buttons have been replaced by general left and right buttons, and the interactive buttons (Red, Green, Yellow, Blue) have been replaced by a single button.

The remote now lights up as you pick it up, which allows for easier night-time viewing. However, this does come at the price of battery life and you will find yourself replacing or recharging batteries more frequently than Sky Q's remote.

The biggest change to the remote is the removal of the (R) record button and the addition of the (+) playlist button. (see: "Watching and Recording Content" below).

Watching Live Content

Live TV operates as you will be used to from Sky. You choose a channel, and then it will start playing.

Because it's streaming from the internet there may be a black screen for a second or two whilst it connects, but I've found this to be pretty much the same as the time it takes to switch on Satellite. 

One enhancement is that every channel allows you to watch mid-way through but start the episode from the beginning. Some Sky Q channels have that feature, but it is enabled (I believe) universally on Stream.

Recording is now Streaming

You no longer record to a hard-drive like you can on Sky+ or Sky Q. Instead you stream episodes from the internet on-demand.

Content will be streamed from the app that hosts that show. For example:-

• Sky's channels and box-sets play on the normal Sky interface
  • Sky cloud recordings (see below) will also play on the normal Sky interface
  • Disney, Netflix, Amazon Prime, Apple TV+ etc. will open in their respective ads, and you'll need subscriptions for these
  • Shows from broadcasters with their own apps, like BBC, ITV, Channel 4, Channel 5 will play on their apps

A slight niggle is that each app has a different play bar, so fast-forwarding feels different on each app and you need to get used to each of the nuances. Hopefully Sky can convince app developers to use a standardised play bar in their apps in future.

What if the channel doesn't have an on-demand service?

Sky will record it on your behalf in the cloud as a "cloud recording", and you will see it on your playlist once it's ready. You have 1,000 hours of cloud recording space to use, and can remove things when you're done to clean it up.

What if I don't have the streaming service?

This can be a problem, and you won't be able to watch the content without the service it's on. One example of this is The Simpsons. Sky doesn't seem to have on-demand rights for that show, and so if you want to watch it not-live, you will have to have a Disney+ subscription.

ITVX and Channel 4 have ads, will my playlist shows have ads?

Yes, unless you pay for the "Ad Skipping" add-on (at time of writing £5 per month). This will allow you to fast-forward through ads on these apps too. It will also enable ad-skipping on box-sets (which would otherwise have un-skippable ads, unlike on Sky Q).

There's been some critisism about this add-on, and of course I'd rather it be included in the actual plan but for me this is actually pretty good value because separate subscription to Channel 4+ and ITVX Premium would cost £10 a month (although they do provide more premium shows, rather than just ad-skipping), so all things considered I think it's okay.

Will they stay forever?

No, content is only available to watch for as long as a service has it. Because it's on-demand rather than recorded-from-live it's at the whim of the content holders. In the case of sports, I believe there's quite strict rules about how long it can stay online for before it removes. For most content this won't be a problem, because they tend to stay on apps for the long-haul now (all the services seem to be in a battle to have the biggest library!) but it is a consideration for content like sports and movies which might have rights limitations on them.

Will anything not "record"?

I think there's been some problems where movies are sometimes split into two parts, with news inbetween. Browsing this forum you might come across other stories like this.

I stream mostly from on-demand services rather than thinking about "recording" live shows, so I've not come across problems like this.

How do I add to a playlist?

Find a show anywhere on the Sky menus and press +, it'll add that show or movie to your playlist and all episodes that are available to stream will be ready straight away. When new episodes go live, I believe it bumps to the top of your playlist again (I'm not actually 100% sure about this point).

It's important to note that once you're on a separate app, like iPlayer or Netflix the "+" button doesn't do anything. So if you want to add a show to your playlist, find it on Sky's menu and press "+", rather than searching for it on the individual services. Hopefully in future the "+" button will work on other apps too.

User Interface / EPG

This will feel quite familiar. It's like Sky Q with a facelift. The main change is that the menu that appears on the left side of Sky Q now appear as buttons on the top of the home screen.

It will take a day or two of getting used to Sky Stream's new UI, in much the same way it took time to get used to Sky Q coming from Sky+.

Now that I'm used to it, I think it's a big improvement over Sky Q's. In particular being able to voice search for a show and see all episodes across all services is a big improvement over Sky Q's interface which only showed episodes available from Sky.

Physical Hardware

It's tiny. Because Sky Stream doesn't have a hard-drive it's far smaller than the Sky Q box and minibox. Think of it like a hockey puck.

Internet Quality

This is the big one to consider.

Sky Stream is 100% powered by internet, so you need a good connection and Wi-Fi connection. I'm on fibre to the premises (I think some providers call this "full fibre") and it works flawlessly but like any internet service, if your network is choppy the service will be.

Consider: are you a streamer or a recorder?

If you primarily use Sky as a recording device. Probably stick with Sky Q for a bit longer because there are just enough gotchas in streaming that might trip you up.

If you currently use Sky Q as a streaming device (downloading episodes and using apps), with the addition of Live TV and recording big shows from the main services I think you will probably find Sky Stream to actually be an upgrade because the streaming interface is much improved.

Closing Thoughts

Browsing the web, you might get an impression that Sky Stream is universally disliked and it's a bad product. I know several people who use it, all with great results. A few of us used Q previously and have grown to prefer Stream over Q. Keep in mind that when you see feedback about things online, it's normally coming from people who have experienced problems... the people who it's working fine for are just enjoying the product!

This is not to say there are no problems, because there does seem to be some hardware faults and internet connectivity problems.

Finally, I would recommend watching Sky's videos touring through the UI to see if what they show feels like it would be a good fit for you or not.

Hope that helps. Feel free to @ me if you have any specific questions.

An ex-Sky Stream customer
This message was authored by SlenderRobert This message was authored by: SlenderRobert

@A+JW 

There is a Freeview antenna port at the back of each Puck. This is only used to keep live TV going if your internet drops as a backup.

Note - This does not function on Stream pucks. It's a requirement for other territories but does nothing in the UK. It only works on Glass TVs. 

This message was authored by A+JW This message was authored by: A+JW

Good to know!

An ex-Sky Stream customer
This message was authored by best+of+the+best This message was authored by: best+of+the+best

@Cat1967 wrote:

I am currently on Sky Q but it looks like Sky Stream is theoretically a lot cheaper for the same services.

From looking on various sites, it looks like I can get multi room access just like multiscreen on SkyQ and I have to pay for multiple "pucks".  Do these pucks have an ethernet port in case I want to use wired connection?

Also are freeview channels like BBC and ITV available live on the stream or do I still need an aerial?

Hi @Cat1967 what I would also suggest is the Sky Stream 1 month free trial if still available.

Even if it's not available you can still return it within the 31 days cooling off period

That way it's based on your experience and not the negative responses.

Cat1967
Topic Author
This message was authored by Cat1967 This message was authored by: Cat1967

Thank you everyone for the useful replies especially @A+JW for the very compreshensive comments.

Since I already have the satellite dish and all the equipment, I will probably keep SkyQ for the moment if I can get a reasonable price from Sky,   

Historically a lot fo our viewing was from recording programs on series link and then watching them back (fast forwarding through the adverts).  Recently we have sometimes watched on ITVx of Iplayer apps because they have taken to putting the full box set on there but only having the episodes that were shown live on Sky.  Of course without a subscription this then forces us to watch the adverts.

It sounds like Sky stream is theoretically a good alternative that could do the same things, albeit in a different way.  It also looks like quite a few people have had issues, which could well be related to wifi or network - I've seen a lot of comments that if you don't have full fibre and a rock solid local network, you will have all sorts of issues.  I've also seen comments about a lot of problems with ITVx but frankly the ITVx app on Sky Q is not much cop either as far as I can tell.

There is currently a full fibre rollout going on in my area and I am supposed to get a trial installation in parallel with copper soon - they have already been to my property several times but encountered a few issues - I think everything is ready for the final install now and the only issue last time was that a neighbour who was having their drive resurfaced had dumped half a ton of debris on top of the access point!  Once that's cleared it can be rescheduled.  Once that is stable and working and they start to charge me for it I will have to change my subscription approach because Talk Talk have the current monopoly on full fibre in my area.

Anyway the above feedback was extremely helpful so thank you.

This message was authored by Fothergill1 This message was authored by: Fothergill1

@A+JW What a good well balanced, informative and comprehensive review 👍😀

------------------------------------------
If my post has solved your issue please mark as an "Answer"
If it has helped please give it a "Like"

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion