Discussion topic: Bug report - SKY stream puck

This message was authored by Happygreentreef This message was authored by: Happygreentreef

Bug report - SKY stream puck

So it turns out the new Sky streaming pick has some issues. Any assistance with these please... (or file a bug report on my behalf). I found all these in 1 hour, how come QA didn't? 1. Adjusting the SPDIF delay correction causes region dependent dialogue to be muted. 2. Subtitles don't work at all. 3. iPlayer doesn't stop when pressing back, it continues to play on in the background until choosing another stream. This is probably by design however it messes up where you are in a series (obviously). 4. Netflix won't get past 20% loading most of the time and requires changing app focus or a forced power off (is it too much to ask for a reboot function!). Is there an official channel for bug reports? If not, why not? Ta.

Best Answers
This message was authored by bydandie This message was authored by: bydandie Answer

Re: Bug report - SKY stream puck

The only real way to record anything formally is to raise a complaint on the service. You will get though to someone who can connect to the puck and look for errors etc and then escalate to the developers if needs be. It also has the added benefit of showing on someone's KPI I would imagine which will certainly focus minds. 

For things as serious as those bugs I'd deem that the appropriate route to take. 

Sky Stream
LG 55" G2 OLED
Virgin 1 Gig
Virgin v360

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Happygreentreef 

Just so you know, Stream has been around since late 2021: the pucks were released alongside the Glass televisions.

There's no 'official channel for bug reports', just this forum or phoning in.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Happygreentreef 

There's no general problem with Netflix: that seems to be either a bandwidth or a DNS thing.

Subtitles can apparently be restored by carrying out a full reset.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
Happygreentreef
Topic Author
This message was authored by Happygreentreef This message was authored by: Happygreentreef

Thanks for the info. Looking about it seems a few of these issues have been around from the start. Has the platform been abandoned already!

This message was authored by UnrealityTV This message was authored by: UnrealityTV

@Happygreentreef wrote:

Thanks for the info. Looking about it seems a few of these issues have been around from the start. Has the platform been abandoned already!

It's not been abandoned - it's the future for Sky's service delivery. 

The problem is, they are owned by a large American company and the hardware is mass manufactured for various worldwide markets running different software.

Sadly it seems to take an age for things to get tested (if at all), therefore the overal streaming experience can be quite poor. 

I for one am abandoning it after a year of little/no progress in improving things. 

Happygreentreef
Topic Author

Hmm, I don't think bandwidth is my issue (1GBps fttp with 10GBPs between switches and 1GBPs connection to box). But my DNS setup might be considered non-standard (DNS is filtered/blocked to known data harvesting services on the internet). The same setup however works seemlessly on fire stick, Chromecast, and various other non-standard hosts 😉

Hmm, I'll take a look at what Netflix is actually trying to do. And dump sky of it's harvesting MY data, cos FK them.

Happygreentreef
Topic Author

Oh balls. Yet another conglomerate that can't get it's **bleep** together. I just abandoned Humax because they lie through their teeth and the hardware/software is full of bugs that get no attention.

This message was authored by UnrealityTV This message was authored by: UnrealityTV

@Happygreentreef wrote:

Oh balls. Yet another conglomerate that can't get it's **bleep** together. I just abandoned Humax because they lie through their teeth and the hardware/software is full of bugs that get no attention.

Sadly, yes.

Sky Stream could be an excellent service - it's got huge potential, but the hardware and back end streaming infrastructure is just not up to the job. 

I've been very patient with Sky for year since getting Stream (I had Sky+ and Q before) but the poor level of service and lack of general improvements have led me to seek better streaming alternatives which are now out there in abundance.   

This message was authored by bydandie This message was authored by: bydandie Answer

The only real way to record anything formally is to raise a complaint on the service. You will get though to someone who can connect to the puck and look for errors etc and then escalate to the developers if needs be. It also has the added benefit of showing on someone's KPI I would imagine which will certainly focus minds. 

For things as serious as those bugs I'd deem that the appropriate route to take. 

Sky Stream
LG 55" G2 OLED
Virgin 1 Gig
Virgin v360

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion