Discussion topic: Bad decision to change from Virgin to Sky Stream

This message was authored by PortlandBill This message was authored by: PortlandBill

Bad decision to change from Virgin to Sky Stream

4 months in and seriously regretting my decision to change from Virgin to Sky Stream.  I mean, the channels are all very much the same, but even the ones that you'd think would work better on Sky (I'm thinking specifically Sky Showcase) actually works better on Virgin. Virgin will record Showcase, meaning i can watch it when I want to,  fast forward, rewind, and pause, not to mention skipping all the ads. On Sky, i have to watch Showcase programs at the time they're on, not later, when convenient to me.

And what's with the remote control? I can understand they want it simple, but it means you don't get simple but easy to use buttons like "switch between channels" , subtitles on/off, 4 dedicated colour buttons, etc. 

And why, I when I switch it on, doesn't it go to the previously used channel? I have to go through the guide to find it, everytime. 

And what's with the interfaces with ITVX and 4? Fast forward and rewind are awful, you have to watch all the adverts multiple times, and often get just a black screen while it passes the time that would have been filled with adverts on the live showing. And now, when I pause, I get a static screen ad. Sky certainly are monetising every possible second. 

I've ended up with nothing more than freeview, with poor interfaces to a series of apps, and a featureless remote. 

The Playlist can't handle series like formula 1 (it doesn't describe in enough detail what episode is what, I or which race is showing, etc), and the Guide doesn't give any details about when each program was 1st released so I have no idea if "series 7 episode 11" is the latest or from 5 years ago. 

The Sky guide doesn't even allow you to look back in time, so if I missed a program yesterday I can't just find it on the guide, hit play and watch it like I could with the Virgin guide. And why does the guide list all the channels I don't get? Scrolling through pages and pages to get to the channels I do get, what a time waster. I know I can set my favourites, but that list has to be constantly edited, every time there's a channel change. 

All these things are so much better with Virgin, I will be changing back at the end of my contract (or, hopefully, I'll get the option to cancel the next time Sky increase my subscription - they've already tried that despite me only being 4 months into an 18 month contract).

1 thing in Sky's favour - the WiFi is more reliable and achieves the expected speeds and coverage. I'll be keeping that. 

All Replies

This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1

Re: Bad decision to change from Virgin to Sky Stream

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@PortlandBill  Sky stream has never had the ability to record, you add things to a playlist, you really can't compare the syetsm to a Virgon Media box with a hard drive, I'm guessing from your post you did no research as all the relevant info about stream is freely available.

Shame you're past the 31 day cool off 🙂

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

PortlandBill
Topic Author
This message was authored by PortlandBill This message was authored by: PortlandBill

@GD1yes, it is all out there, and good to have it all confirmed that it's as bad as I have found. I shouldn't have believed the sales guy who told me how great the playlist system (and the guide) is.

This message was authored by Nigelb1972 This message was authored by: Nigelb1972

@PortlandBill I moved from a system where you could record locally to Sky Stream a year ago and I find that the combination of apps and cloud recording works really well and really don't miss local recording at all. And the playlist system works well as I've got a Playlist for my stuff, my wife has hers and we have a family one .. 

This message was authored by Exiled-in-HH This message was authored by: Exiled-in-HH

If you wanted to make recordings and have a HDD ... Sky Q would have been a better choice or EE TV (with a more more limited selection of channels)🤔

Exiled in HH
This message was authored by Jason+Golding This message was authored by: Jason+Golding

The majority of sky programming from sky channels is actually recorded now via sky stream, albeit to the cloud as is the majority of programmes from CH5. With the recent software update, it tells you whether the programme is being recorded or added to playlist for on demand apps. 

In respect of you passing the 30 day point, this makes absolutely no difference, you will be able to cancel stream without charge or penalty.  This is due to the digital communications act, just phone sky and tell them you wish to cancel. 

For all tense and purposes the contracts are a period of time that you have the price for, albeit with annual increases. 

if you aren't happy, simply cancel 

Sky Stream x 2
LG C2 OLED 55inch
Sonos Playbar
Virgin 1 Gig
Virgin Stream Box
Xbox X
Apple TV 4K
Amazon 4K Firestick
This message was authored by Jason+Golding This message was authored by: Jason+Golding

@GD1 This isn't true, sky stream does record, it records many programmes to the cloud. Most of Ch 5 programmes are now recorded, as are most of skys own programmes. Just because something isn't physically recorded to a hard drive doesn't mean it isn't still recorded. Recording to the cloud is not different to recording to a hard drive, just a different way of doing it 

Sky Stream x 2
LG C2 OLED 55inch
Sonos Playbar
Virgin 1 Gig
Virgin Stream Box
Xbox X
Apple TV 4K
Amazon 4K Firestick
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Jason+Golding wrote:

Recording to the cloud is not different to recording to a hard drive, just a different way of doing it 

Realistically it is  different, though, because everything that goes through a Q satellite tuner can end up on the Q hard drive with playback available as long as the user keeps subscribing and the disk keeps spinning.

Cloud 'recording' on Glass/Stream is a subset of content with a years retention (unless the rights owner decides otherwise) : it's fundamentally much less within the control of the user.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by Mister_Dalek This message was authored by: Mister_Dalek

@TimmyBGood wrote:

@Jason+Golding wrote:

Recording to the cloud is not different to recording to a hard drive, just a different way of doing it 

Realistically it is different, though, because everything that goes through a Q satellite tuner can end up on the Q hard drive with playback available as long as the user keeps subscribing and the drive keeps spinning.

Cloud 'recording' on Glass/Stream is a subset of content with a years retention (unless the rights owner decides otherwise)

Plus the fact that there isn't actually a 'recording' which the user can delete. 

As far as we know, there is no actual individual cloud storage space for each Sky Stream customer. All these 'cloud recordings' are just a marked section of a broadcast stream, stored on Sky's main server which anyone who added that particular show to their playlist has access to until they remove it from their playlist or the rights holder decides to remove it.  

This message was authored by Robb0 This message was authored by: Robb0

With regards to the controller and the "switch between channels" button, you just press up and down on the directional wheel to quickly go up and down channels (if I think that's what you mean)

PortlandBill
Topic Author

@Robb0 if I'm watching a movie on, say, channel 72, and I want to see the score of a football match on channel 3, I can just press a button and swap between those channels.  I haven't found a way to do that on Stream. 

This message was authored by Robb0 This message was authored by: Robb0

@PortlandBill ah I see what you mean. I think you'd need to press home button then click left to switch to your last channel. Also works when you switch on for first time and want to go to last channel.

This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith

@Robb0 wrote:

@PortlandBill ah I see what you mean. I think you'd need to press home button then click left to switch to your last channel. Also works when you switch on for first time and want to go to last channel.

Pressing left on the default rail on the Home Screen will scroll through the last few apps or channels you have been watching

Sky Stream user. Former Sky+ HD and Sky Broadband customer
Please LIKE any responses you found helpful
Please mark a response as an ANSWER if it has solved your query/issue

NOT a Sky Employee

IMG_0096.jpeg

 I completely disagree. Whether something is recorded locally on a hard drive or via the cloud, it makes no difference, it's recorded. As for deleting something on the cloud, you simply remove from the playlist. Does it matter what the storage level is ? Has anyone actually been told ever that they've breached it ? I doubt it. Some folk are never happy, sky has made great progress here and listened to customers. It's clear where they have agreed the rights with broadcaster they are allowing local recording to the cloud. Pretty much all of skys own programming is recorded to the cloud as is channel 5

Sky Stream x 2
LG C2 OLED 55inch
Sonos Playbar
Virgin 1 Gig
Virgin Stream Box
Xbox X
Apple TV 4K
Amazon 4K Firestick

@TimmyBGood can you please provide evidence of the max 12 months storage via cloud please, I would be interested to see this in writing. Cheers 

Sky Stream x 2
LG C2 OLED 55inch
Sonos Playbar
Virgin 1 Gig
Virgin Stream Box
Xbox X
Apple TV 4K
Amazon 4K Firestick

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion